Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:23PM

I've posted here before so I thought I'd update. It
has been over a month since I stopped going to church. I've kinda become a bit of a jackmormon since then. The missionaries try to come by every now and then but my husband answers and tells them I'm busy (I am. I work a lot). Our home teachers do come by. They've been by twice in that time and have scheduled another time to come by next Sunday. They're nice guys and one of them made some cute little hats for my young kids. One is old and sweet and I feel so bad asking difficult "meaty" question to him so I just smile, nod and save those questions for the other one.

When I asked about the questions I had, of course, he didn't know the answers. Anyway, the reason I'm posting has little to do with the. Yesterday, I was home alone working in my downstairs office when I heard a very LOUD pounding on my front door. Two seconds later the person rang the doorbell twice. Pause five seconds, then more door pounding and doorbell ringing. They did this four times before going away.

I didn't want to answer because whoever it was sounded angry or really passionate about SOMETHING. Could someone be angry at me for leaving? This is weird. I'm not from here, I have no family here and the only people I know are from Church. I have no known enemies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:26PM

Church members have been known to do that. It happened to me a number of times after I left.

In any case, you are not required to open the door because an unknown, unscheduled person or group is demanding entrance. In fact, it's advisable to NOT acknowledge someone behaving badly on your doorstep. Hopefully, whoever it is won't do it again.

Date: January 07, 2014 04:41PM

stbleaving Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Church members have been known to do that. It
> happened to me a number of times after I left.
>
> In any case, you are not required to open the door
> because an unknown, unscheduled person or group is
> demanding entrance. In fact, it's advisable to NOT
> acknowledge someone behaving badly on your
> doorstep. Hopefully, whoever it is won't do it
> again.

I asked my neighbor, who has kids who tend to pound of the door, just in case. She and her kids were out of town. It wasn't them. I have no idea who it was except someone from church. But why? WHY is the question...lol. So weird!

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:34PM

I would NEVER answer the door to unexpected or unknown people, my time is more valuable.

Moreover, a bit of caution is a good thing.
All it takes is reading up on some real life crime cases to give you a healthy appreciation for people's capacity to commit all sorts of unspeakable acts.

Date: January 07, 2014 04:42PM

Leah Wrote:
> I would NEVER answer the door to unexpected or
> unknown people, my time is more valuable.
>
> Moreover, a bit of caution is a good thing.
> All it takes is reading up on some real life
> crime cases to give you a healthy appreciation for
> people's capacity to commit all sorts of
> unspeakable acts.

We are proud gun owners. I had my pistol loaded and ready to go. I didn't look out the window to see who it was because I was skyping with a client. Ruined my work call! Ugh!

Posted by: Cipher ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 08:46PM

I'd flip the light on or give some indication that you're there, just not opening the door. Sometimes burglars will knock in the afternoon to see if anyone's home. If you answer, they say it's the wrong address. If no one answers, they kick in the door.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:36PM

Sounds like a good reason not to encourage the visits.

Date: January 07, 2014 04:42PM

Eric3 Wrote:
> Sounds like a good reason not to encourage the
> visits.

Well I just don't know WHY they'd do it. Like..why not just call me? It was a serious door pounding, as if the person had an emergency or was angry.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:38PM

same thing has happened to me with the VT's. I cannot fathom how or why they think that is appropriate unless it's a life or death situation. (?) The most I would ever ring a doorbell would be twice and even then, I'd feel bad for the second ring.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:15PM

They did that at my house. When I didn't answer, they walked around the house and peeked in the windows. I waved at them and kept doing what I was doing. I was way too nice.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:10PM

I've had it happen, too. The lds church seems to think they own us.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:05PM

I've even known some to try the door knob.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:30PM

There's no way that I'd open the door to angry door pounding, especially while alone. That's frightening.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:36PM

Perhaps since I feed the misshies my homemade pizza about once a month I have not been harrassed.

I have never been the recipient of pressure as described here.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:40PM

Been in the "real world" for decades - more than half my life now - so the level of entitlement of these visitors is astounding.

No where else is there this kind of malignant intrusive entitlement existent.

Excepting perhaps North Korea.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 07:46PM

They tend to feel entitled to an invitation to chat when they show up unannounced.

We have telephones and email these days. There's NO excuse for casual church associates to show up without notice. Then, they make it worse by refusing to take a hint and politely leave when the time is obviously inconvenient.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 08:55PM

"When I asked about the questions I had, of course, he didn't know the answers."

Think about that for a moment...A VT (or HT) who is older, been mormon their WHOLE life...but when you ask a serious/meaty question...they don't know..

If that doesn't tell mormons something, I doubt anything else will..

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:50PM

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:07AM

We had the HQ Pres. Knock on our door then he literally started pounding on our living room window. Went to the window because we thought he was going to break it. Didn't let him in though.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:17AM

Just be careful. Around Thanksgiving, my son was dropped off by his best friend around 11:00 p.m. A minute later, we had someone pound on our door and we thought it was the friend, coming back for something. But it was some drunk guy we didn't know from down the street, freaking out because he said my son's friend had hit him. The guy was perfectly fine - unscratched - but out of it drunk. We called the police and by the time they arrived, DS's friend had returned because what really happened is that the guy darted out into the street at the friend's car, screaming at him, and the friend returned with his dad to make sure everything was OK. The friend verified everything with the police and the police told us this guy had a bunch of arrests for drunk and disorderly and had violated probation by knocking on our door, screaming and threatening us.

Just in case it isn't Mormons, and it might not be, be careful. I'm glad you didn't answer the door.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:44AM

It might not have been Mormons -- but it might have been. They do things like this. I've had repetitive door pounding, ringing, window-peeking, etc. Mormons have no clue about boundaries, and they are trained to not respect you or your privacy.

If it happens again, call police immediately.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:56AM

that the mishies will often-times open the storm door to knock on the actual inner "real" door (the one with the deadbolt)....

I was glad to learn that such behavior is SOP in Utah. I felt intimidated and wondered if they would pound on the inner door, what would they do next....jiggle the door knob? Scary. Very scary.

Good thing it is my habit to always leave that real door locked when I am home.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:34PM

Extended door pounding and doorbell ringing, yelling into windows, and multiple visits have been reported.

As icedtea said: "Mormons have no clue about boundaries, and they are trained to not respect you or your privacy."

Shocking, but so true.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:47PM

Twisting the knob?
What the hell?

Is this not (at least attempted!) breaking and entering and definitely trespassing?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:53PM

Trying different doors and leaving unwanted materials?

Some have posted that Mormons have opened the door and yelled for someone to come and talk. They've also shoved plates of cookies and Mormon messages inside the house entryway.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:55PM

Oh my God Cheryl,that is Hilarious!!

These people are nuts!

Posted by: dead indian ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:11PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.