Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cevansst ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:26PM

A friend proudly told me that all TSCC meeting houses are built in the shape of a cross--which can be seen by planes flying over.

I responded I thought LDS hated the cross. He mumbled something about "...we didn't really hate it..." and wandered off.

Is this a new twist? Not that long ago he told me it was not a symbol TSCC wouldn't use for the standard reasons--like worshipping the gun that killed someone, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cevansst ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:46PM

Oops--s/b

"Not that long ago he told me it was not a symbol TSCC would use for the standard reasons--like worshipping the gun that killed someone, etc."

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 02:11AM

See this link for building plans:

http://aec.ldschurch.org/aec/standard_plans/

The "Heritage 98" is - roughly - cross-shaped, but the rest are not.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:34AM

Cool, a modular church. I suspect we'll start seeing lots of them thar things here in good ol Tennessee. Convert 20 people, load a church on to a couple trucks and move it on down, set it up. Within a year TSCC can report 20 new units right here in the Bible Belt. Put a pull-out futon in those overflow rooms that convert into classrooms and you have living quarters for the missionaries. No more having to pay rent for them.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:40AM

They look more like "BANKS" as I see it

one on every F$%cking corner in Utah..aka "Churchco"

There should be a $ sign on the top of each steeple

and Inc. at the end of their Sign/CoJolds Logo.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:54AM

No, they're not. However, most Catholic Cathedrals actually are.

"Cathedrals are very often oriented east/west, so that the worshippers look towards the rising sun, symbolising the Risen Christ. The architectural form of the building most frequently has the groundplan of a cross. This form is both functional and symbolic, its symbolism referring to the cross on which Jesus was crucified. The form is liturgically functional as it allows the building to be divided into sections where different activities take place, or that are occupied by different people, such as the clergy, the choir and the laity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral#Symbolic_functions_of_the_cathedral_building

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:57PM

Thanks for the link, nonamekid.

Are Mormon meeting houses required to be built on the specifications shown? It's like going to Home Depot and choosing which laminated wood floor you would like to have put down. "I like the Old England Rustic, No. 80674."

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 02:24PM

Well, lesseee....from the air the one here looks like the beginnings of a swastika but --

Nope. No cross.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.