Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: redpillswallowed ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:25PM

http://www.normons.com/new-normons-series-why-joined-lds-church/

From my ex-mo perspective, when I come across these conversion stories, I want to find the poor sap and stop the insanity.

Be prepared for this story to be over-posted on FB by all TBMs.

Here's a 'gem' from this new convert to Moism:

"It was an answer more obvious than anything I had ever experienced. I’d sooner accept 2+2=5 as truth than deny the answer I received on my knees."

Wow...it's amazing how fast someone can be brainwashed to that level of insanity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:36PM

So, the subtitle of this site is: "Just a handful of Mormons trying to prove how freaking normal we are."

Normal people don't continually harass someone into joining their cult.

Posted by: lumanwalters ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:05PM

normal people don't have to convince people that they are normal. THey just are.

I also like how there's a post about living with an asterisk. It's actually a good read if you get over some things. but it seems like they are also trying to embrace the "peculiar people" thing.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:48AM

Just wait until he goes to the temple.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:38AM

I threw up a little reading that. Kid should realize that first impressions (that the LDS church is a fraud, in his case) are often right.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:59AM

This right here makes it NOT NORMAL:
"In June of last year, a pair of LDS missionaries knocked on my door in Oklahoma City. I told them I was busy (I wasn’t) so they asked if they could come back another time. I agreed, trying not to be rude, but I had no intention of ever seeing them again. They came back a second time and I gave them the same routine. They came back several more times, and I either wouldn’t open the door or would just tell them I was too busy to meet.

But before I elaborate on all the tricks I used to avoid them, let me give a little backstory."

They came back...S-E-V-E-R-A-L MORE TIMES...This person had/has a vulnerability they picked up on, like a lion to a kill, and took advantage.

Any reasonably educated nonmormon can see that....

Date: January 08, 2014 11:37AM

"They came back...S-E-V-E-R-A-L MORE TIMES...This person had/has a vulnerability they picked up on, like a lion to a kill, and took advantage.

Any reasonably educated nonmormon can see that...."

Yep, and I remember being a Mo-missionary a long time ago wondering how in the world anyone is going to believe this message. That was pre-internet. Now, I'm glad to hear that more and more people are doing some google searching and realizing that it's a fraud. This man, however, clearly became vulnerable and decided to reject reason and clear facts because he 'had a strong feeling'.

Posted by: krampas! ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:42AM

why would a person tell a sales man to come back later 3 or 4 times? plus, he said he knew the church was true more than he knew 2+2=4. Sounds fishy to me, like a mormon wrote it. Some kid on OKC very well could have been baptised, but I am skeptical that he is the legitimate author.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:44AM

I recall one youtube *discussion* with someone who claimed he was a new convert.
he had read all the anti mormon lies and knew everything about the history of the church..... he had been researching the church for 25 years before committing to join

and smith's polyandry was an anti-mormon lie, and smith had never been taken to court for glass looking - and any resource that said anything differently was not worth looking at because it was a lie and he had seen it all before

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:27PM

Its so weird to read that and think that I once thought that way! Its so devoid of logic and reason. Pure, 100%, unabashedly emotion-based decision making.

"I don’t know the gospel is true because my mind could finally make sense of it. I know the gospel is true because of the personal and powerful witness that filled my heart."

In other words, he doesn't have ANY IDEA whether or not its true! In reality, it still doesn't make sense to him! He's just decided to go with a whole different bizarre definition of "truth" and "knowledge" which conform with what he wants to believe.

One thought just kept coming back to me while reading it, oddly, a quote from Toy Story 2: "Ugh, tell me I wasn't this deluded!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 12:28PM by nickname.

Date: January 08, 2014 03:56PM

"One thought just kept coming back to me while reading it, oddly, a quote from Toy Story 2: "Ugh, tell me I wasn't this deluded!""

Yes, this is how I felt as well. I can't believe I bought in to this crap and testified to so many people that 'I know it is true' based upon the exact same good feeling I got when eating my favorite ice cream.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:20PM

WOAH...I actually know the 'Elder Harnish' that is pictured in the story. He's from my hometown. In fact, I went and got drunk with one of his cousins on New Years! Kinda freaks me out a little bit though...

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:36PM

The comments on the page are great, but the inevitable invocation of Lehi's dream has finally been made by a supportive TBM. You mockers and scoffers just need to close the windows on your great and spacious building and mind your own business. :-)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:14PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:50PM

Ironically the 2+2=5 theme is found in Orwell's 1984. Victims are tortured until they actually believe that they see five fingers when only four are presented.

This convert guy is such a dupe that he'll torture himself into believing the nonsense.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:59PM

"There...Are...Four...Lights!"

Captain Picard would have survived the missionaries....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.