Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonUtahn ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:55AM

My daughter is an exmo in junior high in Davis County, Utah but she has a lot of LDS friends still. She isn't in seminary, although they encourage her to come and her friends talk about what they learned in seminary in front of her. Today she came home and said that her friends told her their seminary teacher said anti-Mormons think that the government sends kids off to third world countries the moment they turn 18. Since this made absolutely no sense to me, I asked her to text her friend for clarification. The answer came back that he just meant that some things antiMormons say have truth in them but also have lies.

I still don't have a clue what this means. There is no truth whatsoever in that first statement. But I told my daughter that the Mormon kids should ask their seminary teacher for a source on what he is saying - a website, book etc. Who can he prove said that? I pointed out to her that if she wrote a paper on Mormons, she couldn't just make up that they killed bunny rabbits and painted their faces with blood as part of the temple ritual. If you make a factual claim in a school assignment, the teacher would demand sources, page numbers, website addresses etc. That really made her think.

On the upside, there are two high schools in our area and we live right on the border of both so my daughter could choose which she wants to go to. One is an academically superior school with a wide range of people and the other is a slightly less highly ranked but rampantly TBM school. She was thinking about going to the second school but told me today she isn't going to go because she's seen her friends get weirder under the influence of their seminary classes this year and this teacher's comment was the last straw. So maybe he's right that antiMormons like himself mess with the truth and people leave the church because of it. Mormons are their own worst enemy more often than not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ck ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:05AM

Some crazy shiz got said during my seminary classes over the years. I'm glad the weirdness is helping her separate from the TBMs a bit.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:14AM

The church sends kids off to third world countries when they turn 18.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:19AM

That's what I thought of - the church is the one doing that. I wonder if the comment got garbled and what the teacher said was the antiMormons teach that Mormons ship their kids off to third world countries when they turn 18, taking a truth of missionary work and twisting it to make Mormons sound like they are abandoning their kids at adulthood. Whatever he meant, it was a weird comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 01:21AM by CA girl.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:23AM

How dare those anti-Mormons twist the truth, by perfectly pointing out exactly what Mormons do.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:06AM

Exactly....It sounds like that seminary teacher did a classic "redirect".

"We don't do THAT....Evil nonmormons do THAT!!!!

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:03AM

A lot of Utah TBMs I know think that the Christian churches in Utah frequently bash the Mormons in their sermons. If they only knew that they're not even mentioned in other services.

Date: January 08, 2014 11:10AM

Not wanting to prop up any Utah TBM claims...but way back when I was a born-again christian...the church I went to did just that...disparaged every other religion/church except ours (one of the Calvary Chapels).

It wasn't just mormons but everybody else...mormons, catholics, Jews, muslims, various baptist churches...

That was one of the reasons why I left that church. I didn't go there to tear everybody else down..

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:15AM

I think this is more the exception than the rule....though, I doubt it and sorry to hear it. I CAN tell you that my local LDS ward spends half their meeting bashing other churches.

But I do love the word "seminary" as Mormons use it. I guess the Mormons are so smart that they can do as junior high kids what other religions save for grad school. I actually heard a Mormon say to a person who went to a REAL, 90-plus semester hour Master of Divinity seminary program, "Oh, I went to seminary, too!" Nearly pissed my pants.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:32PM

But did your "Christian" church ever call all other religions "the whore of all the earth?"

Or is it still just the Mormons who do that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 12:33PM by nickname.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 01:35PM

There are certain groups and Calvery Chapel is one that believe that their way is the only way.

Wait, kinda like Mormonism. lol

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 10:07AM

I had not heard that about Calvary Chapel.

Date: January 10, 2014 04:45PM

I think Calvary has "softened" or mainstreamed their approach but back in the late 70's, early 80's...you were either with them and their view of God, Jesus, and heaven...or you were going to Hell. Nooooooo middle ground then.

I think Calvary is more mainstream now..

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:33AM

In my eight months spent in Nashville in 2012, I attended both LDS services and various Christian services. Never once did I ever hear Mormons bashed or even mentioned for that matter while attending the Christian services. HOWEVER, I did hear Christians and other faiths denigrated from the pulpit in both SM and other classes on more than one occasion.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:47AM

anti-mormons say that all mormons have horns
therefore Smith was a prophet of god

[and yes, I have seen this EXACT argument used, practically word-for-word]

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:28PM

Awesome.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 12:59PM

The church is full of half-truths and lies. I used to think that all "anti" material was bizarre lies, like mormons have horns, mormons sacrifice virgins in the temple...we know 'cause one escaped by jumping out a window of the SL temple into the great salt lake, etc... It turns out, for the most part, that the "anti" material is just the unedited truth...the true history, not the sanitized faith-promoting half-history fairy-tale.

FYI - Susan Easton Black said the mormons with horns story was spread in Missouri after a mormon shouted across a river at angry Missourians that they would "gore" them if they continued to harass them.

Posted by: Anon today ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:47PM

Maybe it was all based on a misunderstanding. What the Mormon was trying to say was "I'll BORE you to death if you come to our church!"

The rest is history.

Posted by: seutnevermo ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 04:31PM

I heard that in Utah History in junior high school in the 60's.

Posted by: vectorvirus ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 10:53PM

I used to live in Davis county before I moved to Las Vegas. I went to Northridge.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.