Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Losing Her ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:07AM

Just after we got married, I was earnestly investigating the church. I kept adding 2 and 2 and getting 4, while they insisted it was really 5! (If you know what I'm saying). Finally, I guess when they were losing hope of saving my soul, they went to this. "If you don't join and get sealed in the temple, you won't be together in heaven. She'll be sealed to another "worthy" man. She'll be happy as one of his wives, and you'll be alone." She insists this is so outlandish that there is no way any missionary would ever dare say such crazy things! (Even though there is BOM scripture that I read as saying exactly this). Could this have been said, or am I just nuts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:20AM

So here's a question to ask when they say, "we NEVER taught that!"

Okay, then where did I get that further light and knowledge? Because I certainly didn't make if up, and I wouldn't have internalized it if it was just some one-off, quack-member remark.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:29AM

I've seen many posts that back you up and have met many exmos who suffered similar comments.

One common threat is that parents won't get to be with their deceased offspring unless they join and participate in the mormon church.

Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:30AM

Of course they would've said that if they feared they were losing you. It's not the way you'd start a conversation, but it was definitely the belief when I was converting in the late 70s.

Ask her what would happen if she married a non-member and never had a temple marriage on earth. I'd be curious to know what she thinks the doctrine is.

I am constantly surprised by the things that TBMs believe that are in direct contradiction to the doctrine. I have a TBM friend who graduated from BYU, served a full-time mission, has been a temple worker for over a decade, and taught Gospel Doctrine for many years. She has never married and she thinks that when she gets to the CK she will pick from any worthy man from throughout history and she can marry him. She doesn't think she will have to share him with any other women and she has apparently forgotten the often quoted scripture, "In Heaven they are neither married, nor given in marriage."

Where do these fantasies come from? Not from LDS sources.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:47AM

BA hahahahaha! Since when do women have any choices in mormon doctrine? She is kidding herself if she thinks she gets to be in charge of any of her own choices for herself.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:35AM

Missionaries aren't supposed to say these kinds of things...but they go "off script" all the time and accidentally let loose with some of the crazy sh*t they have been told by parents, seminary teachers, YM/YW leaders, etc.

That's exactly what D&C 132 teaches. If you ever find yourself in another discussion with the mishies, you should say that you read section 132 and that you have some questions you would like to discuss with them.

And make sure that your wife is present to hear it.

Date: January 08, 2014 09:44AM

We read D&C 132 aloud to eachother (This is the scripture I was referencing - D&C, not BOM. My bad.) She says that isn't what it says. She says we'll have the opportunity to be sealed there if I accept the BOM when someone is baptised on my behalf in a temple. Then we read Matthew, where Christ says there is no marriage in heaven. She says that means there is no getting married there, but if we're already married then we can be married there. This convoluted thought is why she isn't desperate to get me in. I promised that if the heavenly missionaries come to me in spirit prison, I would believe they represented God and I would join up (I mean that. I would. If heavenly missionaries come to sell me on God while I'm in spirit prison, I'm happy to go with them.)

Date: January 08, 2014 10:29AM

These mishies are grasping at straws with their silly interpretations.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:42AM

A great question for missionaries: "If I truly believe in Christ, and that I will be with him in the afterlife, then how happy could I really be if I wasn't with my wife/children/family?" Would they answer that the "light of Christ" would make you happy and you wouldn't think about the members of the family you couldn't hang out with?

And another question: "If the church is restored, why don't we have any record in either the Old or New Testament about sealings?" I suppose they would say that "evil men" (i.e. the catholic church) changed the bible--although I can't see why they would change something like that, since it has nothing to do with catholic church politics or control; in fact, it would be a great control mechanism for the RC's, just as it is in TSCC.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:46AM

Same goes for the BoM. It supposedly contains the "fulness" of the gospel, yet it does not mention sealings and condemns "dead works".

Moroni 8:23 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ, and the power of his Holy Spirit, and putting trust in dead works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 10:47AM by facsimile3.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:46AM

No, that totally could have been said. You are not nuts at all. Was she not in the room when the mishies said these things? Why is she in such strong denial she is pretending to re-write her own personal history?

Because that is mormon doctrine. If a good faithful mormon woman is not sealed to a man, she cannot get into heaven. Therefore, all single and unsealed women will be assigned to a husband after this world.

She should be furious because it IS outlandish. Why should any woman ever bother to live the gospel? It's all on the men anyway; all you have to do is marry one and let him worry about the salvation for the both of you. I think that's unfair to both genders, but I wasn't the one who set up this BS patriarchal system.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:48AM

Losing Her Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "If you don't join and get sealed in
> the temple, you won't be together in heaven.
> She'll be sealed to another "worthy" man.

This was told to my friend about her husband not joining and if he didn't join and take her to the temple she would be given to another in the next life.

My friend left the church.

No, you did not make this up, missionaries and members say this stuff.

Date: January 08, 2014 10:11AM

Thank you all for your responses. She wasn't there, just me and 2 guys with name tags. After they said that, there was a long pause. Perhaps a minute. Then I looked at them and said "I think you need to leave." They did. That ended my interest in the church until recently. I didn't tell her about it for a long time, then she said it wasn't possible they said that. I should have been more concerned, but she went to church so rarely, and never mentioned the temple at all. I figured it would never come up again. I was wrong.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:22AM

That's a core premise of the temple.

Posted by: Cowboy Jesus ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 02:15PM

It is possible for a missionary to say anything. They think they have special protection, privilege, and power so they tend to get pretty bold.

Date: January 08, 2014 07:10PM

They were desperate to save their daughter from a life threatening illness. The mishies said if they were baptized and worked hard at being worthy, she would live a long life. She unfortunately did not survive and the members said they must not have been as worthy in the gospel as the Lord wanted them to be.

Sadly, they lived with this pain and guilt for years until they finally studied their way out of the church. Of course they regret every minute they devoted to the Mormons.

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:47PM

it in the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon says nothing of sealings and expressly decries polygamy (which goes hand in glove with sealing and eternal progression). You may have read it in the Doctrine & Covenants, though.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:52PM

Losing Her Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "If you don't join and get sealed in
> the temple, you won't be together in heaven.
> She'll be sealed to another "worthy" man. She'll
> be happy as one of his wives, and you'll be
> alone."

Standard seminary scare - er, fare - in the 80's

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:28PM

I once dated a girl who said, "every marriage not done in the temple has a built-in divorce." Her remarks contained a built-in jilting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.