Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: henryj80 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:02PM

I sent my resignation letter via email on November 18th. I haven't heard a word since. Does anyone know the usual time this should take before I try snail mail?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:08PM

They didn't receive (or ignored) our first e-mail so we re send the e-mail 2 weeks later.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:14PM

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

with the first e-mail we didn't sign it.

With the second e-mail we printed it out signed it and scanned it in and e-mailed it again.

Sample Resignation Letter 1

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

This letter is to inform you that as of DATE I have terminated my membership in the Church Of Jesus-Christ Of Latter-Day Saints.

Please remove the name YOUR FULL NAME (birth date YOUR BIRTH DATE) from the records of the LDS Church immediately - as dictated in the General Handbook of instructions.

Throughout the years I have had strong objections to the doctrine and teachings of the LDS church. Further disclosure is unnecessary.

These instructions to you state that you, as the Bishop, are to be certain that I understand the following: 1.That withdrawal of a name cancels the effect of baptism.
2.Withdraws the priesthood from a male member; and,
3.Suspends temple sealing and blessings.
I do understand these things, and make this formal, written request that my name be removed from the records of the church immediately.

Therefore, I ask you to promptly complete the form "Request for Administrative Action", and forward it to the Stake President. You will need to send me a letter telling me that you have done so. Furthermore, I formally demand that the 30 day holding period be waived and that the Stake President will forward this letter and the form to the Office of the First Presidency.

1.I will NOT participate in church court or disciplinary councils as I have done nothing wrong. I am exercising my freedom of religion and I am requesting the administrative procedure for membership removal.
2.I do not wish to be contacted by anyone except by mail confirming that my name has been remove from the records. This includes home teachers, visiting teachers and church leadership trying to visit or call by phone.
3.My decision is not based on personality conflicts with other members nor is it a result of immorality or other action deemed fit for church courts.
A copy of this letter has been sent to the LDS Church Membership Records Dept., the Stake President, the Bishop and my Attorney. Should the church refuse to remove my membership, I will seek legal council.

Signed YOUR FULL NAME
YOUR FULL ADDRESS- (important for them to send you back confirmation)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:19PM

Or try again.

I prefer the snail mail with the little card that they sign. Then you have documented proof of your resignation.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:22PM

You should have gotten the Please Come Back blurb in about 2 weeks from sending your resignation. Call Confidential Records to see if they got your email (probably they did not, or lost it), and resend if they did not. Carefully check the email address.

The only advantage to snail mail I can see is that if the address is somewhat messed up, the postal service will get it to them anyway. Email is a stickler for correctness.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:00PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.