Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: otedge ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:07PM

Over the many years I've lurked (and more recently posted) at RfM I've heard about some "breaking news" items here before I heard them from other sources -- which I have really appreciated. For a while, RfM was my go-to source for info regarding all things TSCC-related.
However, there have been some stories I've followed on RfM that have gone nowhere -- unless I missed the big reveal at some point -- which is entirely possible. Here are the ones that come to mind --

1. Arthur Patton -- Did I miss the "long-promised-but-never-delivered-and-endlessly-edited-research-with-juicy-citations" post on this story?

2. Monson going crazy -- Stories here indicated that at any moment he would flip out at the pulpit or grab-ass with nearby women in almost every public setting -- but other than a brief delay in speaking at the Scout thing recently (which I didn't see but heard about) I think reports indicate he is as lucid as he's ever been (whatever that means). From the clips I've seen of him at GC, he seems to be fairly sharp for a 238 year old.

3. GA Leaving -- I may have unreasonably expected more info to come out of this story about an ex-Mo meeting with a former Mish Pres and a current 1st Q GA, but as near as I can tell, nothing more came of this other than the story that 3 meetings were held, the last one I remember mentioned was Spring 2013. Was more revealed about this and I missed it?

4. October surprise -- OK, this one is still cooking, so I'll give it a pass for now. Today's only October 99, 2013 -- or something like that.

Other than #4 above, I think the other items came and went without a resolution -- or did I miss something?

Those are the items I remember off the top of my head that stick out because they were from "credible" sources. I've left out the speculative types of rumors that are posted on RfM from time-to-time -- selling off temples for money; TSCC on the brink of financial ruin (yet spending $500 mil in FL); troubles for Mitt (not sure the recent lawsuit counts); impending implosion of membership; GA involved in a sex and/or money scandal, etc.

If I missed "the rest of the story" on any of these issues, please let me know. (Work does require me to miss posts for a few weeks every now and then). Also, did I leave out any "never-came-to-pass" rumors that you wished would have developed into something substantial but were left hanging by your fellow RfMers?

P.S. -- Despite my somewhat flippant (perhaps sarcastic) tone, I really am asking if I missed any updates on these issues. And, no, I'm not a troll or a TBM or even a NOM -- but, yes, I am probably an assh-le!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 05:50PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:37PM

Um... Wow, you are a bit flippant aren't you?

First, the people working on these issues have other jobs and have already done their share of helping people out of the church and shining a light on the dark side of their dealings. They do not work on your schedule or our schedule, so calling them "never-came-pass rumors" that have "gone nowhere" is more than flippant, it's rude. Your work keeps you from constantly checking the site, do you expect others to have unlimited time to work on these projects?

Second, a lot of these things take a long time to validate, verify and get in order to ensure that when they are presented, they are iron clad. Again, they don't work on your schedule and often take longer than expected and yes, some of them don't pan out for all kinds of reasons. But discounting the work that goes into this is again, rude.

Third, there's a search function on the board. Instead of expecting someone to do the research for you, why not try a search to see if there's been any developments. There's also a cover page to this website that lists important developments, you could take a look there and see if anything has come up.

But I must point out how gracious you are to "anointedone" on the October Surprise with your backhanded "pass".

I'm not sure why you would flippantly or sarcastically ask about several large projects that have consumed a lot of time from some of the most giving and hard working people on this board, when you could have either searched yourself, or asked nicely. Perhaps you should ask your "other source", or are you too emotional about these things to ask there?

Posted by: otedge ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:00PM

Yes, I am a more than a bit flippant. I pointed that out in my post, thank you. I don't think I was rude -- but I was an ass -- perhaps attempting humor -- and failing apparently.

I did search. Plenty. I should have clarified that I was asking if I missed something on this board -- OR IN OTHER PLACES -- thanks for giving me the chance to clarify my request. (And, yes, Google is my friend and I have Googled -- nothing returned that I could find).

I started my post expressing gratitute for the times RfM posters have posted "breaking news" items, etc. -- I did not at any time express that I expect people to do anything for me here and certainly not on "my" time schedule. I also did not discount anyone's contributions, as you indicate I did.

But when someone says "I have something and it's coming really soon" -- well, you sort of look for it come at some point, right?

As far as "tak[ing] a long time to validate" -- I believe the Patton story got legs over a year ago, the "Monson is crazy" rumors have been going around for years, and the GA Leaving story broke (I think) about 9 or 10 months ago. Plenty of time for further developments.

Thanks for offering me a trip to the woodshed, but I think I'll pass.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:11PM

If that was an attempt at humor, you really did fail...

Good to hear that you searched, so that means that the sole point of this post was to point out that other people who have put in far more than their fair share have fallen short of YOUR expectations... Good for you.

I'll just reiterate this point: "Again, they don't work on your schedule and often take longer than expected and yes, some of them don't pan out for all kinds of reasons. But discounting the work that goes into this is again, rude."

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:02PM

Here is all I could come up with.

The mormon church claims 15 million members worldwide. The number apparently is closer to 5 million. So, about 10 million people have left the mormon church after signing up.

Of those 10 million who left, I don't know how many departures can be attributed to Tom discussing the second anointing, how many departures can be attributed to Benson's posts (with or without citations), how many departures can be attributed to Monson failing to appear to be a credible prophet.

Sorry I can't give specific numbers who left based on your areas of interest. If 10 million folks leaving after signing up isn't an implosion, be patient.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:15PM

I thought they were valid questions, not necessarily flippant. Even checking in once per day you sometimes miss updates on the big stories. I haven't heard much else on the topics brought up either though and most of them have been discussed for months and even years like the OP said.

Posted by: Me Today ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:31PM

The GA leaving story might have been re Hans Mattsen (sp?). I don't remember reading about Monson going crazy, but I also don't hang out here all the time. It is pretty well known that Monson has dementia and it's getting worse. He can still read from a teleprompter but the day will probably come when he can no longer do that. No one can reasonably say when that will happen. Dementia/Alzheimers doesn't always run a straight course.

As for the October Surprise, it seems to involve some legal matters and the time isn't right yet for the release of information. Anointed One did an update not long ago. They are apparently doing depositions this week.

Can't help you with A. Patton. Haven't followed that one. Have a little patience.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:40PM

Posted by: Alma the Younger ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:48PM

I do have 1st hand accounts of Monson "leaving the reservation" but it is very inside info and would OUT me were I too specific so feel free to take it with a grain of salt...but he does have handlers who monitor his behavior and can step in should things get out of hand. As far as my first hand account...lets just say that everyone in the smallish room had to literally pick their jaw's off the floor. Wish I could share more

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:58PM

I've known alzheimers patients to do some pretty interesting things. Things that they would have never done in their previous life. Taking their clothing off in front of people, talking dirty, making same sex or opposite sex passes.

If these people were assh0les in their previous life, these incidents can be quite entertaining. If they were good people, it an be difficult and a bit sad to see.

Now i'm wondering if Monson entered the room in his jesus jammies or less.

Posted by: whitethunder ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 12:07AM

Let me guess: it involved telling the exact same word for word story more than once in a row

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:23PM

Do you know how to use the "search" function, OT?
It really works quite smashingly!

Have researched a number of items and avoided appearing the fool thereby.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:52PM

I also interpretted otedge's post as a subtle (not-so-subtle?) caution to the community to refrain from rumor mongering and hyperbole. While it is fun to speculate about the Church we despise so much, it is important that we maintain credibility and not come off looking like the bat sh!t crazy Momos many of us once were.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:00PM

Personally, I'm still skeptical of the dementia reports myself.

I would like to the proverbial viral YouTube clip that confirms it all.

But, all of the eyewitnesses seem to leave their smartphones and tablets at home whenever Monson allegedly goes off-script.

Funny that.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 08:21PM by archytas.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:32PM

Personally I am not skeptical in the least, this was one of my first posts here: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,738687,738687

And no, I did not have my smartphone handy, I was a TBM sitting in a temple dedication at the time, but believe me I have tried to find a recording from someone who attended the cornerstone ceremony outside.

Date: January 08, 2014 10:36PM

Well, it appears that your quote is corroborated by a missionary blog. And, he thought it was funny to boot.

I'm glad to see that he gets taken to task in the comments section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 10:46PM by archytas.

Date: January 08, 2014 11:45PM

Multiple corroborating accounts, but I met with my share of doubters.

At any rate, I fully believe he's in some stage of some mental illness. I've seen on multiple occasions (specifically the Calgary Temple Youth Celebration and the Hastening the Work broadcast) where Monson is not speaking live, but shown at a pulpit in front of a curtain, delivering an address that was clearly done in more than one take.

At the Christmas devotional of 2013 we saw the program break with tradition, with Monson speaking first, and for less than six minutes.

I will not be surprised to see it come out that he has dementia, and personally I don't judge him for that at all, but it's awful to see the church yet again prop up a prophet like some weird twisted parody of Weekend at Bernie's. Regardless of everything, these guys have already given a lifetime to the church, they should be allowed to retire and get some peace and quiet like any other guy who's been at it for fourty years.

OTOH, he was complicit in some of the propping up of previous prophets, so maybe what goes around, comes around.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:14PM

Maybe some or all of these stories were made up. It happens. This is a recovery board, not an activist website. Sorry if you've lost your faith in humanity or whatever.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:46PM

I will be honest when I say I think the same thing but still hold out hope that something will happen that is important. So far the things that have caused me smiles are:

1) Hans Mattsen coming out.
2) Jeff Holland's, I'm not at Do Do
3) Tom's podcast interview with Dehlin
4) Turning away of sisters from priesthood at general conference
5) Failure of Mittens
6) marriage equality in Utah
7) Every time a newbie posts that they have recently seen the light
8. Mormon think bill board causing more hits to their site
9. CES letter

There are many other things I am anxiously waiting for and hoping for.

Date: January 08, 2014 10:48PM

2013 was a great year.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:49PM

The odd thing to me is why you took any of that seriously and even remember them all. If they didn't provide evidence, it's no better than speculative chatter.

We probably get trolls jerking us around sometimes who would make a prediction and then be back to point out RfM was wrong.
We probably get people who say stuff they have exaggerated or misunderstood or maybe they went on to another shiny object.

"Credible sources" may or may not actually be credible every time for everything. I consider any of that kind of speculation hearsay, just like people who are credible trying to give me stock tips.

Posted by: AzCaUt ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:20PM

I think if the issues were as drastic and altering as the people who post them claim, they would find the time or fortitude to provide the evidence. We cannot mock the believers for eating up everything from the church on high, and then do the same for anything that may validate our unbelief. We have people making grand statements, that in October there would be something huge, then it goes to November, then vague statements about depositions, and maybe January. If monson pulled this we would be laughing at the members, "haha, they can't see that there is nothing to this. Just keep getting pushed along"

Date: January 08, 2014 10:07PM

"I think if the issues were as drastic and altering as the people who post them claim, they would find the time or fortitude to provide the evidence."

How do you feel knowing that the ugly, dirty secrets of the mormon fraud have been exposed? How do you feel listening to anointed one's four hour interview? Have you told your spouse about the ugly truth of the mormon cult? Have you tried to save your children from the same hell you've lived through? Are you taking responsibility for your life or still trusting a horny dude with a rock in his hat? Do you feel like a fool? Is it too horrible to face?

Did you listen to anointed one's four hour interview? It's fascinating. No? Why not? Don't want to hear the evidence? Don't want to face the ugly truth of your religion? Listen to the interview, and then come back with your silliness.

I've been laughing at the cult since I first heard about mormonism. This isn't about credibility. It's about a cult sucking your life, your money, your creativity, and the life of your children.

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:04PM

What is the anointed one? i would like to watch it.

Posted by: Biffbo ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:37PM

Go here and you will see the 2nd anointing interview in print or audio format. http://mormonthink.com/tomphillips.htm

Date: January 08, 2014 10:28PM

I am working on the family. If the promised information were available it would make it a lot easier. Using anecdotes doesn't help. I can tell somebody, I heard that you can buy a watermelon for one cent at Harmon's, but until I take somebody to the store and buy that watermelon for a cent, it's not going to convince them.

Date: January 08, 2014 10:51PM

"I am working on the family. If the promised information were available it would make it a lot easier."

If you're working on the family, best of luck to you. But what information could you possibly be waiting for? What information could make the mormon church look like more of a lying cult than all of the information that is already out there? Book of Abraham lies? Rocks in hats? Rocks in other men's wives' beds? Angels, gods, gold plates, horses, mythical battles, failed prophesies, racism? A parade of absurdities through history.

What are you looking for specifically?

Date: January 08, 2014 11:55PM

Good question, I honestly don't know. The points you bring up should be enough, (they are for me) however they're not. I guess just a light to turn on. Probably can't force it, or expect it from some person who might have something

Date: January 09, 2014 12:15AM

Well, I hope something comes from somewhere that will help you. I really do.

Date: January 08, 2014 10:44PM

Well, there's some information

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:58PM

and I must have missed the GA-leaving thing, but I'm with ya on the so-called October surprise. That is getting on my nerves.

Anyone who's concerned about having missed something, just Google [poster name] + [subject] + site:exmormon.org, and all relevant threads will come up.

Example: "steve Benson" "arthur patton" site:exmormon.org

Date: January 09, 2014 12:02AM

. . . he's not the managing editor of Mormonthink for nothing, ya know.

Date: January 09, 2014 12:03AM

Are you saying it's a paid position? ;)

Date: January 09, 2014 12:09AM

. . . credible.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 12:08AM

and I'm not suggesting he won't come through or that he created an annoyance. It's just the combined effect of a lot of posts by a lot of people.

Date: January 09, 2014 12:19AM

What? It's getting on your nerves?

Christ man. You figured out you were in a cult and got out.

Now, there's a little entertainment. A little suspense. Who gives a sh*t what really comes out because no new information about the mormon cult could be any more insane, absurd, silly, laughable, or asinine than the stuff that's plastered all over RFM any day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 12:19AM by thingsithink.

Date: January 09, 2014 12:24AM

And nobody's asking for 10% of your cash before they actually do the reveal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.