Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:52PM

Consult historical records from around the world--if Nephites experienced a period of time (a day and a night and a day that would be as one day), that necessitates that other parts of the earth experienced a period of time as 36 hours of night.

Is there any testimony of this? Surely someone would have written that down...

Moreover, did other areas that would have experienced light (or at least dawn or dusk) for 36 straight hours (roughly) record these instances, too. Kind of a big deal when every other day during your life is typical with respect to the cycle of day and night (if eclipse related we could calculate if related--I'm guessing its not).

Just an idea...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 05:57PM

Obviously the kolobian mother ship reflected sunlight on the americas during the nighttime. Duh!

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:31PM

Sorry, your explanation involves science and is faith promoting. I don't buy it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:41PM

The law of conservation of momentum causes the Earth to continue rotating. This rotation can't be stopped short of a calamitous high mass impact, such as a collision with a planet-sized body.

The law of consecration of money causes circular Mormon thinking. This circularity can't be stopped short of a calamitous apostasy, such as one caused by a collision with facts.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:55PM

Border-line genius.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:58PM

Geez. I had to read that three times to get it and realize it's border-line brilliant.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 09:08AM

Why border-line?

PURE genius, I say

;-)

Tom in Paris

Date: January 09, 2014 10:04AM

It's just that Don is always so clever, I am trying to keep his head small. It is brilliant actually.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:58AM

Funny too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 11:58AM by serena.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 06:48PM

An easier test that I found was just to start reading the damn thing and recognize how boring, uninspiring and nonsensical it is.

Date: January 08, 2014 07:59PM

It failed my test when I found out the were busy correcting the most correct book ever.

Posted by: elbert ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:11PM

To follow-up on the momentum: WE're moving at about 1000mph. so let God stop the rotation for a few hrs, we keep going! (Obviously it's a sudden stop). Restarting the earth wouldn't bring us back where we were--but the effect would be just as dramatic, in reverse. Naah, can't do it!

Date: January 08, 2014 09:14PM

Of course God didn't stop the rotation of the earth. Geez. I'm sure He just put a big black blanket over the sun. So much easier. Probably had the people that Brigham Young said lived there hold it up.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:35PM

Sorry, "God magically did it for unknown reasons."

Wow, another critic shot down. The Book of Mormon passes yet
ANOTHER test. Jeff Holland would be proud.

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 01:59PM

lol.

It's annoying how 'God did it' is such an easy answer but nobody can think of anything in recent times that mirrors a 'God did it' event. As in - crazy unbelievable stuff only used to happen and conveniently never happens anymore.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:49PM

The light that made it like daytime during the night was from a source other than the sun. Was it at the time of JC's birth? If so then the comet that the shepherds were following would have created the light.

Date: January 08, 2014 11:57PM

The old testament has a similar passage where it is more explicit about the sun going back to give Joshua more time to commit genocide on the indigenous Israelis. If you can believe the old testament then you can believe the BOM.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 12:05AM

"Yea, if [God] say unto the earth—Thou shalt go back, that it lengthen out the day for many hours—it is done;
"And thus, according to his word the earth goeth back, and it appeareth unto man that the sun standeth still; yea, and behold, this is so; for surely it is the earth that moveth and not the sun." (Book of Mormon | Helaman 12:14 - 15)

Date: January 09, 2014 12:20AM

Damn you to hell evil momentum! Science should stay out of religion, lol.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:50AM

Fetal Deity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "for surely it is the earth that moveth and not the
> sun." (Book of Mormon | Helaman 12:14 - 15)

Wow, Helaman's knowledge of astronomy was exactly what was
known, generally, in Joseph Smith's time, and not as was known
in ancient time in the Old World.

What a coincidence!

Date: January 09, 2014 12:07PM

"... for surely it is the earth that moves and not the sun." Well no shit, Sherlock (Smith), who in the 19th century knew that, but at the time of the supposed happenings, that wasnt the belief in any culture. God, what a doofus. That there is a glaring 19th century anachronism.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:56PM

Three words: giant orbiting mirrors.

Date: January 08, 2014 11:58PM

Case closed. Back to church everyone!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 09:12AM

Easier test...

"Dear Heavenly Father, I don't believe the Book of Mormon is true and so I'm going to go drink a beer. If I am wrong then turn the beer into water...."

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 09:24AM

Santa does it (i.e., slows down the earth) every Christmas Eve. That's the only way he can hit every boy & girl's rooftop.

With Santa and god, all things are possible. Christmas and the BOM are still true, thank god!

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:36AM

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, thus saith the apologist.

Also, when I was Mormon I believed the day of darkness was caused by heavy mists (perhaps ash of some sort?), which explained why even lighting fires didn't seem to help, and thus was a localized phenomenon - not global.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 11:39AM by kimball.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:46AM

Easier test, and bound to thrill: Does it burn? If so, God is displeased with the BoM and wants it to be destroyed. Try it.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:10PM

Burn it? Why? Is it a witch? <giggle>

Date: January 09, 2014 11:55AM

It felt like perpetual nighttime, the clouds were so thick and pervasive.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 01:24PM

I think the easy test is the stone, head in the hat and excluding light book production method.

Just as ridiculous as if he had used a crystal ball.

We do know he used the rod of Joseph to seek out multiple wives.

We also can conclude that taking off your magical underwear allows you to die from gunfire.

Then the persecution from the mobs could not have been as bad as being chased around by a pissed off angel wielding a flaming sword.

As always you have JS having revelations that god has forgiven him of all his sins. That has to be true because JS got him a revaluation from god and wrote it down in some scripture.

Don't forget the old Masonic rituals that he got from the lodge. Those came in handy for some temple time theatrics.

Sadly those angels that showed up all the time left town while he had to translate all on his own. ( Moroni could have read the translation to a scribe...Moroni already did most of the work.)

My favorite is zelph, JS was so good at identifying old bones...JS was like this amazing CSI Sherlock Holmes type.

It is so sad he had to go and get shot and killed. I think we would have so much more to laugh about.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:53PM

Throw the BoM off a 10 story building. If it flies it's true.
It it hits the ground, it's not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.