Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thecheese ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:27PM

So I was digging around cumorah dot com and found a table that was interesting. It shows on average how many members were in each unit of different countries. It is named "Stake and District Growth Table."
I was looking at Brazil,and in 2012 there were 623 people per unit. That was alot of people per unit. So I started poking around other country profiles and found Mexico at 664. But, I think I found the winner, Honduras has 682 drones per unit. They had 226 units in 2012, 81 of which were branches, IMO there must be wards with over 1000 members out there.

Anyways, I do not have the time to look at every country but it someone finds a higher one please share.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:51PM

When I was in Brazil (94-96), even though there were lots of members, attendance was still low. 150-200 in the larger wards in Brasilia, I would guess that's probably between 20-30%.

I wonder how that compares to today.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 07:55PM

Check out Chile!

The cult claims 929 Members Per Unit!!!

That's 929 members in each of its 425 Wards and 197 Branches!!

I'll bet anyone that average attendance in wards and branches in Chile are less than 10% of that (less than 92 per congregation).

Any RMs from Chile who can tell us if they ever attended a branch that had 929 members? ROTFLMAO!!!

http://www.cumorah.com/index.php?target=countries&cnt_res=2&wid=46&cmdfind=Search

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 08:09PM by sonoma.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:08PM

Thank you Cumorah.com!

"The number of active members varies widely from congregation to congregation, but most congregations report very low member activity rates. 35 of the over 500 members in the Puerto Natales Branch were active in March 2010. There were 50 active members in the Barrancas Ward of the San Antonio Chile Stake in late 2010. The San Clemente Branch in the Talca Chile Stake had 75 active members in late 2010. Only 10% of the known LDS membership in the Codegua Branch of the Rancagua Chile Tupahue Stake were active in late 2010. The Rosende Ward in the Santiago Chile Zapadores Stake had just 35 active members in late 2010. There were over 30 active members in the Río Negro Branch of the Osorno Chile Rahua Stake in late 2010. In mid-2010, there were nearly 30 active members in the Tirua Group, a dependent unit of the Cañete Branch of the Lebu Chile District. In late 2009, 130 of the approximately 1,000 members in the Maquehue Ward of the Temuco Chile Cautín Stake were active. In late 2010, the Pirque Branch in the Santiago Chile Cordillera Stake had over 70 active members. "

http://www.cumorah.com/index.php?target=countries&cnt_res=1&wid=46&cmdfind=Search

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 08:11PM by sonoma.

Posted by: thecheese ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:13PM

Well done!

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:13PM

Being in the 600+ realm is not unusual even for US units.

The Fort Pierce/Port St. Lucie unit in Florida had about 620+ people on the rolls when I served there (10 years ago); about 30-60 showed up week to week.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:34PM

When I was in San Diego, California, we had wards that had well over a thousand members in each ward, almost none of whom attended. This was back in the 90s. Now a lot of them were military members, whose parents made sure the ward got their records, or converted for a short time, then transferred away, and the members always made sure we understood this. It didn't change the fact that they were people who most likely did not consider themselves Mormons.

Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:08PM

I live two states away. In my office most haven't even heard of Mormons. I can't imagine there are many attendees in the bay area.

Its really mostly a utah religion.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 06:40PM

My daughter served her mission in Lima, Peru in 2004-6 and said that most wards had 300+ on the rolls and only 50-80 attending. Chile is the one where Oaks (or Holland) had to go down and consolidate the number of units to be more reasonable, I think.

It's all a shell game. Compare the number that the church reports with self-reported census numbers -- they are nowhere close.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.