Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:24PM

It came this afternoon while he was at work and everyone is gathering at his parents house in half an hour to watch him open it. I hope, because he's older (almost 21) that he goes somewhere stateside. That seems to happen a lot if you don't have important Mormon relatives, money or go when you are past the normal leave-by date. Although come to think of it, I left late and have no Mormon relatives at all, important or not since I was a convert. My dad did have money though. And I went to Spain.

OK, now I'm worried about where he could go. I so wanted him somewhere safe, with good internet access and hopefully in the neighborhood of one of you guys, so you could do a little deprogramming. I'll report back later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:33PM

Is he going to YouTube it?
And remember, before you "report" you have to "return".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 10:34PM by misterzelph.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:35PM

I just had a vision..

He is going to Brazil

Posted by: John Ferrier ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:39PM

To see the excitement on their fresh faces and then the dreaded moment when they open the envelope and get "Spanish Speaking Oakland Mission" when they had dreams of going somewhere exciting where they could draw on those experiences to give exciting talks the rest of their lives. It's kind of like getting a Chia a pet for Christmas - "Oh, a Chia Phil Robertson, I always wanted one!" Ugh. These events are always painful regardless.

I'll cross my fingers that he'll be in a stateside mission like you're hoping for. And maybe somewhere near a board poster.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:47PM

Put me down for the Idaho Boise Mission.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:52PM

It's not like a statewide mission is going to be any better. My sister was stranded in out in one of the Plains states on her mission, living in squalor, with almost no budget for food, without a car or a bicycle.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 10:53PM

I'll take a cue from my Patriarchal Blessing and prophecy that he will be called to serve a mission...

(wait for it)

"...in far places."

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 12:44PM

We have a true prophet among us.

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:41AM

'To a people anxiously awaiting it's message'

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:11PM

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:59AM

Dutch John, Utah

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 06:52AM

I predict southern Indiana.

Date: January 09, 2014 08:36AM

Are we running a sweepstake?

I'm impressed that his call will be for.....Europe.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:46AM

You must specify a country, at least. Only specifying a continent is getting off too easily.

Date: January 09, 2014 08:47AM

The Holy Spirit doesn't do specifics.

I'm seeing mountains....

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:43PM

BumFuck, Egypt

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:56AM

Chicago illinois.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:17AM

He's going someplace truly awful. The Florida Tallahassee Mission. If he get's stuck living in the small apartment above my TBM sister's garage, I promise to check in on him, and not make fun of him too badly.

Date: January 10, 2014 01:20AM

I wish he were going anywhere I could send you guys to check on him/deprogram him. He's going to one of the missions in the Puebla/Oaxaca region of Mexico.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:22AM

Isn't that where the drug cartel guy wanted to ship Walter White off to, so he could build a super-lab?

Date: January 10, 2014 01:38AM

Oh great!

Posted by: ldsidiot ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:44AM

Make sure to tell him, his best course would be to tread lightly.
When tracting, he is the one who knocks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 07:00AM by ldsidiot.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:22AM

Mountains? Afghanistan......I hope not. I hope they tell him he is too old and that he doesn't have to go. Can you talk him out of it? You don't want him to waste two years of his life ruining other people's lives do you? Get him to go to college instead.

Date: January 10, 2014 01:37AM

If it were my son, that would be one thing but if I don't want my SIL trying to talk my son into GOING on a mission, I probably better not try to talk her son out of one.

I am going to pull him aside, give him a phone card and tell him ANY time he's sick or worried or in danger or depressed or just wants to leave, we will go get him. His mother would be all over him to say, worried about being a failure and what everyone would think. I do not have those worries and I'd wire him the money to buy a ticket home if he needed me to in a heartbeat.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:04AM

Doesn't the mission pres. confiscate their passports so they can't leave the country without him knowing about it?

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:16AM

Anybody who wants to can watch me open my electrical bill. It won't be very exciting because I live in a two room apartment.

Posted by: ldsidiot ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:18AM

I just had a revelation! It will be $3.50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 04:19AM by ldsidiot.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:21AM

Oaxaca used to have a fabulous outdoor market. I could have traded my sister for a guitar.

Is that market still there, does anyone know?

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 05:44AM

You could probably get a bunch of guitars for your sister...as long as she's ready to be a virgin 9 or 10 times. I kid you not, I heard this guy in Mexico (which is what I get for living in SoCal...where it's only a couple of hours away) actually "hocking" his sister on the street. "Hey, joo like my seester? She virgin nine times!"

That's still a family joke (we had a normal, oddly funny, family-but then, we weren't Mormon!LOL). When we'd go to a "white" wedding with a couple we KNEW were "doing it" (or already living together), we'd say, "It's okay if she wears white...she virgin...nine times! I wonder if that's anything like an eight cow woman...

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:58AM

Moose Jaw?

Posted by: flecher ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:15PM

He is called to the United States Postal sorting center in Topeka!
The US Postal sevices are inserting their needs into the letters. It's only fair since they are the part of the prophetic delivery process. His first companion is a large bag of mail. They are to go door to door delivering the flyers and coupons of this dispensation. This is a nonspeaking mission and it is estimated that he and the bag will serve for two years or less depending on how the email thing developes.
May the lord bless you, Elder Sack, give you strength as you struggle with doubt and a heavy load of resignation ackowledgments

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.