Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:38AM

Jan 9, 1842 - Joseph Smith writes that the covered wagon carrying Willard Richards and Lorin Walker, while traveling on icy roads, "slipped and capsized and fell off the side of the bridge, 5 feet descent. Broke the carriage, some on the top and the fore axletree which we soon spliced . . .and agreed that Liburn W. Boggs should pay the damage."

Jan 9, 1845 -Thirty-year-old William Clayton writes of his fifth wife, Diantha Farr, on their the day of their wedding which occurred at Diantha's parent's house, "The question was asked of everyone present, did they freely give her up, and they all signified their willingness by saying they had no objections. There was Present Winslow Farr her father and his wife. . . .She [Diantha] was born in the town of Charleston Orleans County State of Vermont on the twelfth of October 1828 making her 16 years old last October."

Jan 9, 1846 - During a Sunday temple meeting Nauvoo police officers Hosea Stout and John Scott throw a rock on the head of a suspected spy "which came very near to taking his life."
Brigham Young "observed to the brethren that it was my wish that all dancing and merriment should cease, lest the brethren and sisters be carried away by vanity, and that the name of Diety should be held in reverence, with all the due deference that belongeth to an infinite being of his character."

Jan 9, 1847 - Wilford Woodruff dreams "some Indians came into my house with Axes with the intent to kill me. I got away from them went into the street And there two men one an Indian Stabed me with Knives in the side. I Hollowed murder and some came to my assistance."

Jan 9, 1851 - Salt Lake City is incorporated

Jan 9, 1859 - At Sunday meeting in the Salt Lake Tabernacle "Orson Pratt spoke again to the people upon evidence of the Book of Mormon. He took for his text the 4th vers of the 29 chapter of Isaiah. He spoke about two hours Confining himself mostly to this chapter." That evening at a meeting of the Twelve "O[rson] Hyde was unwell with the flux & did not dress. F. D. Richards was not well & did not dress. Erastus Snow came late & did not dress.. O.[rson] Pratt W.[ilford] Woodruff G.[eorge] A. Smith E.[zra] T. Benson & Lorenzo Snow dressed. O.[rson] Pratt prayed. W. Woodruff was mouth & while praying O Pratt Fainted & fell on the floor or rather eased himself down on the floor & lay there until we got through."

Jan 9, 1867 - At a party in which most people arrive late Brigham Young "Addressed the Assembly in an interesting manner. He was opposed to Commencing parties so late & continuing them so late an hour. It was following the custom of the Gentiles & Evil would grow out of it. The people should open their party by Prayer By 5 oclock & Close By 12 oclock."

Jan 9, 1870 - In the Salt Lake Tabernacle Wilford Woodruff preaches "in our day God has revealed unto us the Patriarchal order of Marriage & has said if we do not obey it we shall be damned. Congress has said if [we] do obey it we shall be damned. Now which shall we obey God or Congress?" The congregation shouts "we will obey God."

Jan 9,1880 - Apostle Orson Pratt writes to his children that city of New Jerusalem will be constructed by April 1950.

Jan 9, 1896 - Apostle John W. Taylor is assigned by the Quorum of Twelve to speak to fellow apostle Moses Thatcher "and talk over with him his condition or views on the question of insubordination in regard to running for office without an understanding with his brethren." Three months later Thatcher is dropped from the quorum for refusing to sign the "political manifesto" which requires every leading official to get permission from the proper authorities before accepting any position "political or otherwise." The "political manifesto" was seen as aimed at Moses Thatcher and B. H. Roberts, democrats, who had run for office without first getting permission from the brethren, while leaving certain other church officers free to engage in republican politics.

Jan 9, 1900 - At a meeting of the Apostles in the Salt Lake Temple "[Apostle] Marriner W. Merrill gave us some of his early experience and stood strong for polygamy."

Jan 9, 1901 - At a meeting of the Twelve in the Salt Lake Temple apostle John Henry Smith "made a motion that we suggest to the Trustee in Trust that we don't sell any Liquor at Saltair for one year."

Jan 9, 1904 - Emmeline B. Wells, editor of Woman’s Exponent, writes: "Aunts Presendia [H. Kimball] & Zina [D. H. Young] used to interpret dreams for us but now there is no one to do it." This is one of the earliest comments about loss of spiritual gifts in Mormonism.

Jan 9, 1922 - B. H. Roberts writes to Church President Heber J. Grant about his meeting with the Apostles in which he presented his research into Book of Mormon "difficulties". "There was so much said that was utterly irrelevant, and so little said, if anything at all, that was helpful in the matters at issue that I came away from the conference quite disappointed... I cannot be other than painfully conscious of the fact that our means of defense, should we be vigorously attacked along the lines of Mr. Couch's questions, are very inadequate."

Jan 9, 1943 - Church Section lists non-U.S. rulers who have received Book of Mormon since Queen Victoria (1842), King Frederick VII of Denmark (1851), King Kalakaua and Queen Kapiolani of Hawaii (1877), Queen Emma of Holland (1890), King Oscar II of Sweden (1897), Emperor Matsuhito of Japan (1900), Empress Haruko of Japan (1909), Crown Prince Yoshihito (later Emperor) of Japan (1909), Queen Liliuokalani of Hawaii, King Albert and Queen Elizabeth of Belgium (1919), President Thomas G. Masaryk of Czechoslovakia (1930), Presindent Jose F. Uriburu of Argentina (1931), President Eduard Benes of Czechoslovakia (1937), and President Getulio Vargas of Brazil (1940).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 03:26AM

Good times, good times.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.