Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lush ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:50AM

While going through old boxes tonight I found one labeled "church" my eye's lit up.
it has been 14 year's since I went up in flames crashing and burning my failed mission attempt. Since that time I have rid myself of all thing's lds and then tonight boom! feeling a bit nostalgic.

The first thing I came across was a letter written by my mother that was given to me on the day I went to the MTC. Our relationship has never been the same since that day. Don't get me wrong we still speak but the damage and disappointment caused by that day week and month still burns deep in our relationship. In the letter she says she's very proud of me, something she hasn't said since. She ends the letter by telling me I have a great ability to see and accept people for who they are and that it will help me immensely on my mission. While it didn't help me there it has helped me through every day life. I will keep this letter it has meaning.

Next I found 5 or 6 church books that included the likes of "marvelous work and wonder" and " miracle of forgiveness" apparently I was fond of the latter. As I sat and read through all the parts of the book I highlighted and marked I had to laugh. Funny what I saw as important and significant things back then. I am however a bit disturbed by the amount of yellow highlighter used in the chapter "crimes against nature" I obviously had a problem in that department!

Last was my temple clothes. I pulled them out of my nice little white bag and looked them over. I only wore them once so they are in pristine condition. Most the items wouldn't fit as I could only wish I was as skinny as I was at 19. I put on my bakers cap went to the mirror and cracked a smile. it is all rather silly looking at it from the outside in. My apron was very nice hand stitched leaves and all made by my grandmother if I recall correctly. Question is what to do with all this? A part of me says throw it away but another part says keep it after all I wouldn't have had my blast from memories past tonight had I round filed it a decade so ago. I get both sides. Getting ride of everything lds in ones life can be liberating but keeping things as reminders and proof can be okay too. So what did you do with your old temple gear?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 03:02AM by lush.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:54AM

Don't you dare throw them out.

Nobody I tell about the temple believes me until I show them u tube and my temple costume.

It's part of who you are, like it or not. Own it. Show them off.

My green satin fig leaf apron is exactly where it needs to be. In a drawer in the kitchen with the other aprons and the OveGloves.

Posted by: tikbalang ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 05:20AM

Wear them for Halloween....answer the door and pass out candy...when the kids ask about your costume...be honest tell them it's a Clown Suit !

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:42AM

I keep it with my baptism certificate. I received them both on the same day when I was 8. Right next to those I have the letters I received from the church saying I had resigned my membership by my own choice. I say keep that stuff. You haven't done anything wrong and it's a part of your history.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 12:50PM

You might want to show them to a prospective convert or a child who needs to learn the reality of what happens in the temple.

Many would pay good money for these keepsakes.

My nevermo husband loves having garments to show around.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 01:24PM

If you get a lot of mormons knocking on your door, hang that green apron out on a flag pole. I'm betting they won't knock on your door anymore.

I appliqued easter eggs on my husbands green apron. I wear it when I cook easter dinner. My adult kids think its hilarious.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 03:16PM

LOL...The visual of easter egg appliques on a temple apron cracked me up. Repurposing at its finest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 03:17PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 02:44PM

If the apron is a family heirloom, either pass it on to a family member who would use it.

I donated my hand made apron from my auntmfor my fathers burial.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.