Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 10:31PM

There is a lost gospel known as The Secret Gospel of Mark. It is known only from a section quoted in a letter attributed to Clement of Alexandria. It pretty much says that Jesus spent some intimate time with a youth that he had resurrected. The thing may be a forgery, or it may be an ancient corruption of the text. There is a nice article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Gospel_of_Mark

This is the text of it:

And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him, 'Son of David, have mercy on me.' But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 10:36PM

Date: January 10, 2014 12:07PM

Hmmm. Strangely consistent. Was this the same young man?

"14:51 A young man was following him, wearing only a linen cloth. They tried to arrest him, 14:52 but he ran off naked, leaving his linen cloth behind."

What a curious detail to invent or record.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:12PM

Jesus comments on a lot of things.

When it comes to eunuchs he only makes the distinction that some are "born that way, some are made that way by other men, and some make themselves that way."

But there's no commentary. Jesus isn't the least bit concerned with male genital mutilation or slavery.

If it happens naturally so be it.

If someone forces it on you, so be it.

If you make yourself that way to get to heaven, so be it.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:51PM

When I read that many years ago, as a believer, I thought the young man was receiving his washing and anointing.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 10:16AM

Ha ha. Actually, I think "washing and anointing" makes an excellent euphemism. I will be using it.

Date: January 10, 2014 12:09PM

:) It is supposed to be a smile.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 10:04AM

Early Christianity was a hybrid of Greek and Roman paganism, combined with Judaism. Since a major theme of Greek mythology is how the love between two gay lovers is the strongest form of love, it wouldn't be surprising that Greek influenced writers would make their mythological heroes homoesexual. I don't believe the Romans themselves were as big on the idea, but I don't think they really cared. As Christianity spread further away from Greece and Greek influence, to places where homosexuality was less respected, it would not be surprising to see such references suppressed or even dropped.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 10:10AM

Then when you read old testament stories about David and Jonathan, and a few other biblical heroes, it becomes obvious that there were suggested homosexual relationships in the original text. Israel, sitting at a crossroads between major cultures with different views of homosexuality, probably went back and forth on the issue. Viewing it as a sin that deserved death by stoning under one generation, and a normal thing under others.

Hell, there are parts of the bible that make it clear that the authors of certain parts were polytheist, before they got re-edited later on. Example, the story of Abraham's wife saving then smuggling her families graven ideals, when Abraham departed with her. The way the story is told, it is clear that the author meant for this to be a heroic good thing, and not a sin. My seminary teacher had a hard time twisting it, claiming it was just to show that she was homesick. Kind of weird to put a story about a homesick wife in the bible, with no details about how old Abraham set things right.

Date: January 10, 2014 12:14PM

True. The Old Testament in a lot of parts does not suggest that God is alone, only primary. He says that Israel should not have any other gods before him. And there are instances where people get grief about worshiping other Gods. The bible said that is wrong. But it takes the existence of those other gods for granted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.