Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oncewasblind ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 10:36PM

Here we go again. My sister in law is due next week so you know what that means. Its baby blessing time, shit!! And then my younger sister is due in Febuary so that means I have made up my mind that I will attend but im not getting in that circle. What would you guys do??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:54AM

I'm not a guy, but I would show up right after the opening prayer, and sit someplace near the back.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:00AM

Same - I'd walk in late but in time for the blessing, sit near an exit, listen to the blessing and then fake a coughing fit during the sacrament song and run for the drinking fountain, then your car, til it's over.

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:04AM

a couple month's ago I decided to attend a baptism for a nephew. The key is to not make it a big deal no gifts no praise just go in watch and leave. If you have to talk to family members make sure you talk about you!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:36AM

Sit in the foyer. You can hear what's happening but not be part.

If you do go in. Wear a colorful shirt with no tie.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 10:19AM

Sometimes they have done the blessings at the homes.

We do NOT sit through fast and testimony meeting anymore. It's all about the social aspect of seeing family and congratulating them, and you don't really socialize in church, anyway.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 11:08AM

Stick your finger down your throat just before going up.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:00PM

Go to a party after if there is one and provide a nice gift and card with a loving blessing of my own.

To me, it's an endorsement of the church rituals to attend baptisms, blessings, or sit outside at temple weddings.

Posted by: Feijoada ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:50PM

I was not allowed to participate in blessing of a grandchild though I had driven 1,550 miles to do so. Though still technically a Mormon grandfather, the mother of blessee, my TBM daughter, said no. Why? Because I was "not worthy", she said. Unworthy because I no longer believed in Moism. Perhaps she believed that her loving Mormon god would not have honored the forthcoming blessing otherwise.

Mormons act like Gawddamn idiots.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 03:07PM

I'm dealing with the same thing right now...the first such event since I learned the truth. The blessing is in 3 weeks. I'll be attending, but won't be participating. The parents know that I don't believe, but they still invited me to participate.

My BIL went through the same thing several years ago when we were blessing a child. He hadn't discussed his disbelief with anyone before the blessing, so we had no idea what was going on when he didn't come up to the circle. I wish he had just told me what was going on...I could have gotten out years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.