Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SSM observer Exmo ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:17PM

It seems that Gayle Ruzicka didn't pray and fast quite enough. Those who married in utah will receive federal recognition and benefits. This is one more reason why I think all SSM will have to be recognized in every state at every level in the near future. Too messy to have rights protected differently.

"The Obama administration on Friday said that it will recognize as lawful the marriages of 1,300 same-sex couples in Utah, even though the state government is refusing to do so."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/11/us/politics/same-sex-marriage-utah.html?_r=0

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:21PM

Utah:

This is called a Clue.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:38PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:22PM

Yay!

They will still have to file separate taxes for Utah since Utsh doesn't recognize their marriages,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 12:40PM by fidget.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 08:10PM

Isn't the starting point for your Utah tax return the federal
tax return? Don't you just transfer some numbers from the
federal return and then fill in a few extra blanks?

If you are married on the federal return won't Utah have a
problem not accepting you as married on the state return? I see
court cases up the wazoo.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 09:38PM

@Baura:

For five years here in the state of CA (2008-2013), my spouse and I had to file married in the state of CA and single with the feds.

All the states in which SSM is NOT recognized will have to do the opposite, I suspect: file married with the feds and single with the state.

It is an absolute pain in the ass to have to do this.

It is this chaos and confusion (and thank you, Gov. Herbert for adding to this mess) that will eventually lead to unification, I hope.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:29PM

Most Mormons realize this is happening and are not as upset about it as they were in 2008. Now that over 1/3 the nation has gay marriage rights and none of the horrible consequences right-wingers promised have happened, it's too easy to shrug your shoulders and say, "so what?" They may not vote for gay marriage, but they aren't going to break their necks trying to stop it.

The shock of the Federal court decision is now settling into resignation. A year from now, Utah and several other states could have gay marriage over the objections of the majority, but the majority cannot prove harm to itself. Having your sensibilities offended is not harm enough to justify banning marriage from gay families. Even the LDS Church is refusing to get involved openly in this case, having been burned by Prop 8 just 5 years ago that resulted ultimately in gay marriage in California.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:57PM

if Prop 8 had never happened. I appears as if the backlash from the campaign and the LDS involvement has fueled the changes. Ironic.

It's as if the Prophet Seers and Revelators behind LDS support for Prop 8 couldn't see the future. =) Although I'm sure they will see it the continued separating of good and evil in the last days. Whatever.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:57PM

Certainly ironic if the church's determination to support, fund and pass Prop 8 accelerated the process to SSM. Very funny if it did. And, to think of all those people who tapped into their kids' college funds to make the "voluntary" contributions that were pretty much demanded of them by TSCC.

Like you, I'm always wondering why "prophets, seers and revelators" can't read the writing on the wall!

Date: January 10, 2014 08:13PM

I think the church's involvement in prop 8 had nothing to do
with same-sex marriage. I think it was a bridge-building
exercise to make Catholics and Evangelicals more Mormon-
friendly. Mormons fought THEIR fight and did it with more money
and organization than they could bring to the table.

What the Church did NOT count on was the PR backlash against the
Church itself.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 09:40PM

@badseed:

I absolutely agree: that the Mormon Church helped the cause of SSM by their support of prop 8.

Ah, yes, the irony.

Posted by: Krampus! ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 09:25PM

It may only be 1/3 of the states that have legalized ssm, but they contain 49% of the US population, and the majority of the homosexual population.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:32PM

This is wonderful news...for everyone!!!

Yay!!!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:34PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 12:42PM

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:01PM

Yes, beautiful! Just beautiful!

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:03PM

another public flogging for mormons.

The mormon leaders thought they were being so progressive a few years ago when they started talking about accepting gays (but not the behavior). They got caught with their pants down as the rest of society was moving so much faster.

While I want to see marriage rights in all ways immediately available, watching the slow, public death of religious objections is fun.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:11PM

By forcing an anti-gay state constitutional amendment to the Supreme Court...ALL these unconstitutional state amendments, propositions, whatevers, in the 20-whatever red states...will fall like slow-motion dominoes.
Thanks Utah and LDS church for possibly getting this to the Supreme Court all the sooner.

Posted by: e23234 ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 03:19PM

Utah and the LDS Church is an embarrassment to this nation.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 03:50PM

Excerpt from the NYT's article -- really socking it to the dunderheads in Utah:

[…]on Wednesday, the office of the governor of Utah, Gary R. Herbert, said that the state would not recognize as lawful the same-sex marriages already licensed while it pressed forward with its appeal of the ruling.[…]

But Mr. Holder said the federal government would not do likewise. He invoked as a historic call for equality a June ruling by the Supreme Court that struck down a ban on federal recognition of same-sex marriages that are legal under state law, saying the Justice Department was “working tirelessly to implement it in both letter and spirit.”

“In the days ahead, we will continue to coordinate across the federal government to ensure the timely provision of every federal benefit to which Utah couples and couples throughout the country are entitled — regardless of whether they are in same-sex or opposite-sex marriages,” Mr. Holder said. “And we will continue to provide additional information as soon as it becomes available.”[…]

Date: January 10, 2014 03:55PM

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/holder-us-recognizes-utah-same-sex-marriages

Excerpt below:

The U.S. Supreme Court, however, issued a stay this week, reinstating Utah’s ban while the appeals process unfolds. And as Adam Serwer explained, state officials “took the additional step of telling the couples who were married in the meantime that, in the eyes of the state of Utah, while the litigation is ongoing, those marriages don’t count.”

Date: January 10, 2014 04:23PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57378517-78/utah-marriage-moms-married.html.csp

Excerpt: "More than 1,000 people gathered in the Capitol rotunda Friday afternoon to present a petition to Gov. Gary Herbert asking him to stop the state’s appeal of the Dec. 20 decision to overturn Utah’s same-sex marriage ban.

The petition, organized Tim Wagner of the Sierra Club and Matt Jacobsen, was signed by 58,000 people, and 80 percent of them were Utahns or had a Utah connection, they said. […][end excerpt]

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:30PM

Matt is an awesome guy. We are Friends.

Date: January 10, 2014 04:26PM

"On Dec. 20, it happened. I saw my moms get married in Utah," Riley [sixth-grader Riley Hackford-Peer]"It felt like fireworks bursting in my heart."

The quote is from the Salt Lake Tribune article.

Posted by: Anon today ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:37PM

Sounds (suspiciously) like a burning in the bosom. Must be true.

Date: January 10, 2014 04:32PM

Meanwhile the coalition of TBMs and TB Catholics that make up most of the NOM (National Organization for Marriage) had this to say:

Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage, criticized Holder’s decision.

"It is outrageous that the Justice Department would move so brazenly and publicly to undermine Utah’s standing constitutional provision regulating marriage as the union of one man and one woman," Brown said. "It is the right of states to determine marriage, and the voters and Legislature of Utah have done just that. Their right to do so is encoded in the U.S. Constitution and was explicitly upheld by the Supreme Court this summer in the Windsor decision. But with this move, the Department of Justice under this Administration signals that it simply has no regard for the Constitution and the rule of law."

Date: January 10, 2014 04:41PM

This court/cultural battle may eventually force Utah to recognize gay marriages performed in other states.

Date: January 10, 2014 08:20PM

The "full faith and credit" clause of the U.S. Constitution
states:

"Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the
public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other
state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the
manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be
proved, and the effect thereof."

DOMA was a federal law which was designed to exempt SSM from
the full faith and credit clause. However now that DOMA has
been struck down, it seems to me that the full faith and credit
clause could be used by a couple married in Massachusetts who
move to Utah to have their marriage recognized by Utah.

IF the courts decide that a marriage performed in Mass. has to
be recognized by Utah, how can marriages performed in Utah not
be recognized by Utah?

Date: January 10, 2014 06:00PM

Coverage from Think Progress makes an interesting point:

This suggests that the other states that recognize same-sex marriages would likely follow this precedent and also recognize the couples from Utah. Holder’s announcement confirms the suspicions expressed by Michael Ferguson and Seth Anderson, the first same-sex couple to marry in Utah, that Utah is now in fact the only place that their Utah marriage license is not recognized.

Quoted text above is from:
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/01/10/3147931/federal-government-recognize-utahs-sex-marriages-utah-wont/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.