Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:31PM

We all know that the typical mission age male (and possibly females too, now that they've loosened restrictions on female missionaries) are treated like -- how shall I say it? Stinky fertilizer? -- if they try to stay in school, instead of go on a mission.

But is this true of the elite level athletes -- the ones like Steve Young, who have prospects in big money athletics after school?

Just wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: !!! ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 01:54PM

Yes.

I have a cousin whom BYU wanted to play for one of their elite teams. He was nowhere near as good as Steve Young, had no chance of playing beyond college and would probably have been a backup at the Y.

When he was deciding whether to go on a mission, BYU had a GA visit him for a talk. The GA said, "maybe your mission is to play football for BYU."

My cousin went on his mission and did not continue with sports. He is no longer a believer.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:17PM

The GA said, "maybe your mission is to play football for BYU."

I've heard that before as well. Most non-RM's would be shunned, but girls don't seem to mind if they're going to be rich.

I've heard a similar rationalization for the obscene amount spent on the mall. "Maybe Jesus wanted the mall as a missionary tool." WTF!!!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:24PM

Most people don't know this but Steve Young had a brother who was probably a better QB than Steve. Steve's brother did go on a mission and picked up a parasite which ruined his career as he never fully recovered.

Posted by: ldsidiot ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:03PM

Yes, anyone who can give them good face at the mainstream level has the rules bended for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 02:03PM by ldsidiot.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:09PM

Of course they get a pass. It's rationalized away by saying that they're putting themselves in a position to be like "ambassadors" for the Church and Mormons everywhere because they'll be in the spotlight. Let's get real, the church wants their money as tithing.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:56PM

I don't understand this mindset...Guys like Steve Young and the B-Ball player Jimmer Freddette...not going on a mission and instead being an "ambassador" for the Mormons.

I never heard them talk about it during their playing career(s). Young's is over but Fredette is waiting to be cut from the Sac. Kings....

They don't proselytize, they don't "ambassadorize"....EXCEPT for those who........ALREADY KNOW THEY ARE MORMON...like other Mormons.

You never hear ESPN or any sports group/network...OUTSIDE OF UTAH mention their religion

What a strange way to live a life....completely wrapped up in a bubble like that..

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:14PM

There is a person that attends our (shameless plug here) Sunday Morning Meetup at Harmons Bangerter Crossing store at 10:00am who is related to former BYU Football team captain, Brad Martin (deceased). She said he was told the same thing... skip the mission, you're an integral part of the team, so don't even think about it.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 02:17PM

I remember when I was in the MTC Donny Osmond came to speak. He talked about when he was our age, he was looking at going on a mission and was advised that he did the church more service by being in the public spotlight and identified as Mormon than he would do knocking door to door.

That doesn't account for David Archuleta of course, but who knows.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:49PM

Well in fairness, BYU football players probably don't help convert anyone, which put them on par with the vast majority of missionaries.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:09PM

Probably 20,000 Japanese schoolgirls got baptized because of him

Of course none of them are active now.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:35PM

Everyone does, it's not manditory for anyone

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:49PM

You need to go back and read what Spencer W. Kimball commanded.

Posted by: !!! ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:55PM

Because what you say bears no resemblance to the situation here on earth.

Of course a mission is mandatory. It has been ever since Spencer's day, and the penatly for not fulfilling that duty is ostractization, looked down upon, rejected by Mormon girls, treated as a second-class citizen - literally being exiled from the community or excommunicated.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:55PM

Wasn't David Archuleta dropped form his record company? Is that why he went on his mission or is that just a nasty rumor?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 11, 2014 12:34AM

I know of a 19 year old kid from a prominent S. Alberta hockey family who is playing out his career in the Western Hockey League (major junior-equivalent to NCAA div.1) before he goes on a mission. Should he get in the NHL draft, who knows.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.