Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 03:59PM

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-instructs-leaders-on-same-sex-marriage

Is it just me or is that article dripping in a condescending tone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 04:01PM by fidget.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:09PM

It's kinda fun watching them paint themselves into a corner so that when most of the rest of the world finally recognizes the dreaded SSM, they'll have to pretend to have a revelation and look just like the ancient doddering con men they are.

Posted by: Amigo1 ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:56PM

The church is quite the wordsmith when saying this:

"sexual relations are proper only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

They carefully craft this sentance to disavow any form of polygamy (past or present). If they wanted to show they are serious about abstaining from polygamy, they would write it like this:

"sexual relations are proper only between one man and one woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

I always found this a little sneaky...

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:52PM

Good catch.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:16PM

"in Utah, striking down century-old state laws and a state constitutional amendment that defined marriage exclusively as between a man and a woman." - they sure do have some balls to talk about this. Of all the states, Utah is the one that started with a bunch or horny bastard polygamists.

Changes in the civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established. God expects us to uphold and keep His commandments regardless of divergent opinions or trends in society. His law of chastity is clear: sexual relations are proper only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife. REALLY? They change doctrines like some people change undies.

Style Guide Note: When reporting about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, please use the complete name of the Church in the first reference. For more information on the use of the name of the Church, go to our online style guide.

They have to have a guide to know the name of the church? Are the members THAT DUMB? It is not looking good at all. I think most people know the name of their church for those that go to church or synagogue or ??
AND YES this is condescending as usual with TSCC, bunch of assholes.

YES I HAD TO GO TO THE STYLE GUIDE TO SEE WHAT IT HAD TO SAY - GAWD!
Style Guide — The Name of the Church

The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.
It took 15 years for God to decide on a name?

While the term "Mormon Church" has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use.

When writing about the Church, please follow these guidelines:

In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
Please avoid the use of "Mormon Church," "LDS Church" or the "Church of the Latter-day Saints." - YES because these names avoid Jesus entirely and they only want to do that at the actual meetings.

When a shortened reference is needed, the terms "the Church" or "the Church of Jesus Christ" are encouraged.

This boggles the mind. "the Church" is an acceptable name (AS IF THERE ARE NO OTHER CHURCHES ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!) - What arrogance!

When referring to Church members, the term "Latter-day Saints" is preferred, though "Mormons" is acceptable.
"Mormon" is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon, Mormon Tabernacle Choir or Mormon Trail, or when used as an adjective in such expressions as "Mormon pioneers."
The term "Mormonism" is acceptable in describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, the terms "Mormons," "Mormon fundamentalist," "Mormon dissidents," etc. are incorrect.
THE ONES THAT PRACTICE POLYGAMY SHOULD BE CALLED REAL MORMONS OR REAL LATTER DAY SAINTS since they are the ones that follow JS, the slimy profit.

The Associated Press Stylebook notes: "The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other … churches that resulted from the split after [Joseph] Smith's death."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 04:23PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:16PM

Translation: We want everyone to be polite to us, including those whose rights we are restricting.

If you will pray about, you will find out the gays are wrong. If gays and supporters of gay marriage will pray about it, they will find out right we the Head LDS Honchos are. Gay is wrong, wrong, wrong, but we are going to tell you that politely.

And by the way, centuries of tradition, god's word, blah blah blah.

We the LDS Church should be the ones making the laws.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:44PM

Once More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Translation: We want everyone to be polite to us,
> including those whose rights we are restricting.
>

Also including those that we have harmed by lies that being gay can be fixed, and those that have been harmed by sham marriages.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:18PM

From the article: "The gospel of Jesus Christ teaches us to love and treat all people with kindness and civility—even when we disagree.

"As members of the Church, we are responsible to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to illuminate the great blessings that flow from heeding God’s commandments as well as the inevitable consequences of ignoring them."

Aren't these contradictory statements? How do you kindly and civilly tell someone that they are ignoring "God's commandments" and will be punished for it?

Also, I really hope that someone's keeping copies of these for the day when the church inevitably gets a new "revelation" that suddenly allows full rights in the church for all openly gay members. I'd love to compare those to these lovely little missives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 04:19PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: No Mo Lurker ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:55PM

"Changes in the civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established. God expects us to uphold and keep His commandments regardless of divergent opinions or trends in society. His law of chastity is clear: sexual relations are proper only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

Yeah, God also said we shouldn't eat shellfish or pork. And that we shouldn't wear cotton and wool together. Wonder how many are violating those laws.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 05:38PM

Shh... God never said that. Close your eyes.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 05:52PM

They didn't say anything about fundamental rights. Their justification was religious, and religious exclusively.

When will people learn to separate their religious beliefs from secular law? Probably never. They think their morals come from an unassailable source. They can't understand why anyone else could legally live outside their theistic moral framework or why laws shouldn't reflect that.

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 05:58PM

Great news, now I hope Obama sends in the troops!

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:34PM

"Consistent with our fundamental beliefs, Church officers will not employ their ecclesiastical authority to perform marriages between two people of the same sex, and the Church does not permit its meetinghouses or other properties to be used for ceremonies, receptions, or other activities associated with same-sex marriages. "

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-instructs-leaders-on-same-sex-marriage

Can I just say how THRILLED I am to be as far away from that horrid cult as I can be. It DISGUSTS me to no end how cruel this Corporation is, how it destroys families with their hate and vile. How it destroys communities, sets at variance child to parent. Oh wait, that is what Jesus wanted as well. If I would have known how horrid this church and my family and so many people I knew and grew up with were going to stand and literally fight to destroy my personal family, my sense of peace, my ability to feel free to love and thrive,...I would have RUN out of that ugly brown brick building in Boise Idaho and never returned.

So, if you are Mormon you can can get married in their temple where you first have to agree to give up your name, wear church approved underwear the rest of your life, give up all your material possessions if asked, obey a man, and agree to the marry in the "New and Everlasting Covenant" (which is polygamy...which they believe they will be living after they die, so that is why many, many LDS men and leaders are sealed or married to multiple wives in the temple. When one dies, they get sealed to another and another believing full well upon his death he'll be with them all), and agree that no family or friend that you love and adore can watch you make this ridiculous promises unless they themselves have paid their 10% and made the same promises. Then you are herded through this impersonal 15 min ceremony and hurried out. Not my idea of a celebratory ceremony with friends, family and community.

I'm so sick of this hate and the further cuts to families who happen to be LDS with gay kids/grand kids. This garbage and control and vindictiveness literally DESTROYS the natural bond between the nuclear family...you know, that family that is supposed to be oh so important that you need a man and a woman to be married to raise? Why doesn't the church just come out and say it...

Brothers and Sisters...let us clarify. We are only interested in a man and a woman marrying each other so that the man can earn all the money and have power over the chronically unemployed woman...so she'll be forced to stay at home and have nothing else that gives her any sense of self other than forcing her children to be Mormons as well as if we've done our job right...that's all the life experience she'll know. We are only looking for strait people because strait people breed more future tithe payers. Gay children don't play well with patriarchy....they are into that weird, dangerous equality crap and care about raising the few children they do have to be honest free thinkers able to navigate through life without the fear of expulsion and aware of their own hopes and dreams. This "awareness of self" has never been our intention. We are purposely brainwashing you to turn your children into Mormons and then turn them over to us. They were never meant to be yours. Yes, it's very similar to human farming...well it is...why do we breed cattle? We breed them to slaughter them and use them...same with you. We just didn't want to have to come out and say it this plainly, but we think now is the time. So, is you suspect your child is gay and through screaming, hitting, abusing and threatening...your child will not "straiten up"....it's best to get rid of it and start over. Forget about it entirely...through any means you see fit.

Yup, that is pretty much where it stands...or so it seems to me.

Date: January 10, 2014 07:42PM

"Just as those who promote same-sex marriage are entitled to civility, the same is true for those who oppose it. The Church insists on its leaders’ and members’ constitutionally protected right to express and advocate religious convictions on marriage, family, and morality free from retaliation or retribution. The Church is also entitled to maintain its standards of moral conduct and good standing for members"

When you, tscc, limit your actions to ONLY your members, you may have a point, but when you are out trying to take away or deny rights of others via political means, you open yourself up for all sorts of political actions including protests.

The lies you, tscc, have promoted about gays goes beyond civil to abusive, you, tscc, do not have the right to claim anything about civility.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:49PM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> When you, tscc.............are out trying to take away or deny
> rights of others via political means, you open yourself up
> for all sorts of political actions including protests.

Amen.

And liable for class action action, don't forget, TSCC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 07:50PM by zenjamin.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:45PM

People deserve respect, beliefs do not.

Posted by: emily ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:56PM

Completely agree

There are times when it's completely appropriate to be respectful of differences, but this is not one of those times. What they can't get through their heads is that their beliefs on SSM are on the same level of hatred as segregation. People are not going to sit quietly by and allow this type of hatred to remain entangled in the laws of this country.

Date: January 10, 2014 08:01PM

It seems to me that the LDS picked this fight, now that they are losing, they want everyone to play nice. Sorry, they did not play nice when they were winning, I don't see why I should play nice with a group that has routinely attacked who I am for decades.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 08:03PM by MJ.

Date: January 10, 2014 07:48PM

Posted by: !!! ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:49PM

The proclamation on the family has now been labeled "doctrine" by the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve.

I hope everyone remembers that over the coming years as they try to water down their homophobia, claiming eventually that the ban on gay marriage was only "folklore" or a reflection of society's biases.

Today they enshrined their homophobia as "doctrine."

Date: January 10, 2014 07:51PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.