Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Neal ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 04:58PM

The thing is, I am convinced that he is not really a Mormon (whenever I say that to him, he gets really pissed off). There are many reasons why I believe that he isn't which I will explain. I'm just concerned for him that he's going on "his" (AKA the Mormon church's) mission for the wrong reasons and that he's going to suffer and regret it the same way that many others on this site have experienced.

Reasons I don't think he's truly Mormon:

1. In the past I asked him "how many % is your motivation on going on a mission based on religious reasons" and he stated less than 10%.

2. I pointed out to him that he's unlike other members of his church that he doesn't believe or follow many of the things taught there. He responded saying that nobody evers follows everything in any religion, which I agree, but he says he went to the front of the crowd during Sunday "talk" and starts questioning and even contradicting many of the church's beliefs.

3. During a game of CoD, there was a Born Again Christian player who kept preaching over chat to everyone else. Many other players, including my cousin, responded to the guy to try and disprove him especially when it came to things like creation vs. evolution. My cousin then told me that he is open-minded and neutral when it comes to religion. I then asked him that if he says that, then why specifically label himself as Mormon? He said that because they're nice people and if you like em why not just join em?

4. My cousin believes in evolution, supports controversial topics such as gay marriage, etc.

5. He has missed Sunday church and has gone out of the house for recreational reasons at times and is not stricken by guilt like many firm Mormons would.

6. He said he's going to try and bring his iPod with him to the mission. He said he has to be careful to avoid risk getting kicked out (apparently he intends on staying the full 2 years, which I don't understand).

7. He hopes to "serve" (I feel so uncomfortable with that word) in a foreign country. I stated, if he's going on the mission for Mormon reasons, then why should it matter where the mission is? People will be touched no matter the location. He replied, why not explore/experience another place if he has the chance to. Several times in the past, he said "I hope I go to ______ or ______ so that I can learn how to speak ______ or ______." I feel as if he think's he's going on a vacation or something.

Reasons I'm concerned for him:

1. His crush is a Mormon chick. He said that she wants to marry a 2-year RM. After a turbulent past, she and him seems to be having a good friend relationship now, even getting flirty at times. It pisses me off whenever he goes into these ups and downs, especially when he gets dismayed saying he won't see her for another 2 years and that she might find another guy within those 2 years. I keep trying to point that out to him, that instead of going, that he should stay and keep their relationship strong. But, he still wants to go...

2. He's going to attend one semester of college then go on a 2 year spring break.

3. We were looking for digital pianos online last night. He asked me, "do you think the prices will drop by the time I get back from my mission." Another time, we were looking to buy something else, but he changed his mind, saying "I'm only going to be here for another 5 months." Seriously all I hear from him now is "when I go on my mission..." "when I get back from my mission..." "...mission... this" "...mission... that." I feel that this mission thing is controlling his life.

Help, anyone? Whenever I try to re-open the debate, he gets defensive and says that he doesn't want to discuss about this again, saying that it's the same questions that I ask over and over again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovostudent ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 05:03PM

Remember when you were young and knew everything?

He's the same way...

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 05:04PM

You are correct.
But....

Sounds like he needs to learn the hard way.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 05:15PM

He's either going to go out there and realize that "missionary work" is the same as sales manipulation techniques,

Or he is going to get brainwashed.

But what happens is up to him, just help him stay grounded in reality once he leaves.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.