Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:34PM

Gag. The ladies at BBC are at it again:

"The Priesthood is the power to act in God's name. Women have that power in the power to give life. Men do not hold this power. They contribute, but they do not hold the power to create and nurture life. Women contribute to the priesthood as well. When you grow up and enter the temple you will also be called and have the joint power of the priesthood with men. This will not be the same in actino, but all are the same before Heavenly Father. I don't know why he gave us these differences, but I know that someday I will understand them. I think it is interesting that women are allowed entry and ordinance within the temple without having to go through levels of advancement like men do in the priesthood, likewise, all women can have babies and not all men can hold the priesthood. It seems like Heavenly Father has more confidence in his daughters than the general population of men in this mortal sphere, and has allowed them great power and opporunity as such.

We all have important things we can contribute to this world. How we do so is reliant upon our choices. Nobody can take that from you. You also have the power of prayer. Noone can infringe upon your ability to petition your father for guidance, for help, for blessings, whether for yourself or others.

Respect the priesthood and help those who hold it to the best of your ability. Pray for inspiration to understand what confuses you and study the scriptures and prophets to gain greater insight.

Only after God created Eve did he declare the workd done and good. Adam was not enough, and Eve was his crowning creation. I expect we will gain more insight into who we as women are as time passes and we realize the blessings our father has for us."

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a1376345/mommy_why_dont_girls_get_the_priesthood

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caligrace ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:39PM

"...likewise, all women can have babies and not all men can hold the priesthood."

Oh the total tone-deafness towards infertility issues drives me crazy here!

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:43PM

I'm an infertile woman, where's my God given oh so special, life gift?

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:50PM

I guess we're not fully "women" somehow, those of us who don't have the special ability to get knocked up.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 11, 2014 03:28AM

That's right... women who don't orcan't crank out kidlets don't count. Many seem to have this ideation... a "friend" of my Myanmar's tried to talk him out of marrying me since marriage is only for having kids.

Posted by: TheManAdam ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 06:45PM

God finished his work with Adam, but Adam was lonely in the garden.

"God, I'm terribly bored. Can you give me a companion?", asked Adam.

"Sure," God said, "but it will cost you an arm and a leg."

"What?!", proclaimed Adam, "that seems like an outrageous price to pay!"

"Well, I can give you an "okay" companion," said God, "but I'm going to need a your right hand and foot."

Adam thought for a moment and replied, "What can I get for a rib?"

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:30PM

Guys. GUYS. We've had it wrong all along! According to the spiritual and intellectual giant that is TheIceMan01 (comment on page 2), SHERRI DEW IS A PROPHET.

Mind. Blown.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:48PM

It's interesting to note the complete shift in attitudes from when this thread was first posted on BBC 5 years ago and now. The first few pages of comments are all echoes of each other - "Men get the priesthood as a consolation prize since they are biologically incapable of squeezing babies out their nethers, and are emotionally incapable of caring and nurturing those babies after their born!"

But then since the resurrection of the thread, the majority of the posters are in support of ordination for women. Or, at least, they aren't bringing out the pitchforks about it and acknowledge there are some fair points about it.

Change is a-comin', TSCC. Make no mistake about that.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:50PM

So then why doesn't he give the ladies the priesthood in areas of the world where they are short on the priesthood?

God would rather not create a ward because he doesn't have enough eligible priesthood-holding men than give the priesthood to women who ARE active and worthy.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 10:25PM

I've heard and read the same crap ad nauseum from women of many faiths, unfortunately. I have a devout Catholic friend from Italy who once conceded to me that "maybe" it would be okay for women to become Catholic priests if they sincerely wanted to serve God, but that "women who are just doing it [trying to enter the priesthood] because they want power are wrong."

"So," I asked her, "how do you know that all men who become priests just want to serve God and don't become priests for 'power' reasons?"

No reply, so she fell back on the "but women serve God in other ways by being mothers, etc." bs...and this is an otherwise liberal (politically) European with a degree in Engineering, no less. I hear the same arguments against women holding religious positions of authority from Muslims, Christian fun dies, etc.

And, having struggled for years with infertility myself, I also second many of the above posters' comments about the insensitivity of such views to the MANY women who can't bear children. (And what about those who can but simply don't want to?)

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 10:36PM

After I posted it I realized the thread was older than I thought.

So here's the rundown on that board:

It was really active for a while. It started to get really us vs them- the TBMs vs the Jackmos, nevermos, exmos, etc. The TBMs would always lament that they shouldn't have to defend their faith on an LDS board. A friend of mine was a mod for a while, and man she hated it. Eventually a group of the TBMs got all huffy and started an LDS family support board or something and they kind of left the board. Then it got really boring and a lot of us left the board, too.

So now there are quite a few liberal Mos there, but don't be fooled, there are still several women who just can't stand the fact that Ordain Women exists. Every now and then in these threads someone lays down the "I just don't understand women who feel the need to question God" or something similar. Then there will be a little back and forth with one side providing a lot of legitimate stuff- a penis doesn't make you more worthy, not all women are/want to be mothers, etc. Then some self righteous Mo will say something like, "Well, I for one trust our prophet so..." and passive aggressiveness ensues before the thread gets shut down.

So yes, there has been a lot of growth. But the old guard is still there, trying desperately to hold down the fort. I suspect their testimonies will be the ones most shaken as positive change continues to come for LDS women.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.