Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 07:31PM

1000 supporters of same sex marriage watched 2 petitions asking Utah not to appeal the the ruling making same sex marriage legal in Utah.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57378517-78/utah-marriage-state-family.html.csp

Now compare the energy, age, diversity etc of the pro-ssm rally to the anty-ssm rally in Orem.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57368269-78/marriage-state-sex-utah.html.csp

Add to this the fact that the USA recognized those weddings and the fact that so many people are calling the Governor's office that they are trying to put lipstick on the pig's actions and it is clear that they are circling the wagons. It seems the bigots are going to fight this one till the bitter end, no matter how many people get hurt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 11:32PM

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-utah-marriage-rally-20140110,0,1238382.story#axzz2q3Fos2x5

Utah once again makes the nation's major media outlets, and not in a good way.

I missed the rally because I was meeting at the Utah Tax Commission. Utah said it was definitely going to require SSM couples legally married anywhere to file as Single or Head of Household (status if you are single and have a dependent) on their Utah income tax returns.

It was not clear if a Utah SSM couple married in the December window would be able to file as Married Filing Jointly for federal returns. AG Eric Holder gave a pretty definitive answer to that question. I imagine his announcement cranked up the crowd at the state capitol building.

Rock on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 11:32PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 10, 2014 11:43PM

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the rally today was not Utah making the National News in a "Good" way. Delivering a petition with 58,000 signatures in support of SSM and requesting that the governor let the ruling stand is a very good thing. Everyone knew when this started that the ruling wouldn't be the end of the story. It has been ten years since Utahans voted for the amendment that defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Massive strides have been made, even in Utah in the last ten years. Tax season may be complicated for same sex couples this year, but I'll wager that next year, they'll be filing jointly even in Utah.

I wasn't able to attend the rally today, because I'm down with H1N1 flu, but my signature made it to the governor today, so I'm happy.

Date: January 10, 2014 11:54PM

This shows that people in Utah are in opposition to what the government of Utah is doing. Comparing the two rallies shows a marked difference in the level and the quality of the support.

This shows the state government and the power that controls the state government that they are facing increasing opposition, even in the most state where TSCC has the most control. This is a good thing.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 11, 2014 12:01AM

2 reasons people are against gay marriage.

1. They're dumb.
2. They're secretly worried that c##ks are delicious.

~ Joe Rogan

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 10:45PM

Wow, sure shut down that discussion. :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 10:51PM

You are obviously a VERY powerful writer, T-Bone.

:-)

Date: January 15, 2014 11:35PM

Do you seriously think I could keep my mind on the tread with thoughts of Rogan in my head?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 10:50PM

The anti-ssm rally was held at Golden Corral. *snicker*

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.