Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 08:47AM

I rarely hear about them any more, I recall memorizing the all, and being tested to earn some medal. I also recall hearing facets of them fairly regularly as doctrinal answers, or explanations of the normalcy of the church. I can't recall the last time I've heard anyone mention them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 09:05AM

I'm curious about this too. I was forced to memorize them, and when I taught Primary in the '80's it was part of the curriculum for the little TBM spawn.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 10:45AM

Long ago when I was a kid, I had to memorize the Articles of Faith in order to "graduate" from Primary. Each kid upon turning twelve would have an interview with the Primary Prez at which time she would throw out couple of random Articles of Faith for you to recite back to her. I was never very good at memorization, but I knew the majority of the Articles of Faith. Being nervous during the interview, I recited one of them, but couldn't get through the second one. The result...I flunked Primary.

When the Primary Prez told my mother that I had not passed the test and would not be graduating from Primary until I had memorized the Articles of Faith, I knew what was coming. I wasn't wrong...for the next week my mother physically BEAT the Articles of Faith into me.

The following Sunday I was even more nervous as I sat down with the Primary Prez. Once again I got through the first Article of Faith she asked me for, but I tripped up on the second one. Then I started to cry. I told the Primary Prez what I had gone through the previous week and she seemed horrified. She asked me to pick an Article of Faith to recite, which I did, and she proudly announced that I had graduated from Primary.

To this day I don't remember the Articles of Faith, but I sure do remember the beatings. Thanks mom.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 11:16AM

that's really messed up! Sorry. I had to memorize them too to "graduate" I didn't have a problem memorizing them, but I remember the anxiety I felt having to do it front of 20-30 other people. Stupid church.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 10:55AM

When I last attended a year and half ago, I was a primary teacher. Every month has an article of faith and a theme and/or scripture. My class was the 4-5 yr olds. I never stressed over them memorizing the AoF. I didn't see the point. But some of the older classes focused on memorizing them in place of the lesson. I guess they got about the same amount of benefit from that. At least those kids received stickers on their "progress" charts. Isn't that what Mormonism is all about anyway? ;)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 11:16AM

Of course! It is another control mechanism.
Besides there were originally 14 not 13 articles of faith!

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 11:18AM

What was the 14th?

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 11:21AM

We believe in justification through rationalization.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 11:24AM

The only one they need to memorize is number 12:

We claim the right to worship… and allow all men that same privilege…

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.