Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoeJoe ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 03:35PM

If you were in church today, did your ward read the 1st Presidency statement against same-sex marriage? Just wondering if this actually happened in wards across the country. Please report if you know. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 03:38PM

<not a likely group to survey, IMHO>

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 04:42PM

Not here they didn't.

Posted by: ec1 ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 04:48PM

Not in my ward

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 04:50PM

Presidency statement? Is it on line? Link?
If so, why would they read it? Couldn't they just tell the congregation to read it on line? Print the link in the program for today?
Nevermind, I found the link.
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-instructs-leaders-on-same-sex-marriage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 04:51PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:04PM

"...Changes in the civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established."

Reading that made me cringe-- did they seriously forget that God changed his mind about polygamy?

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:33PM

More evidence they have no shame. They will submit to social and legal precedence, but have no shame in getting there. They have their living prophet with perfect hinsight for the business needs of the corporation.

I don't think it will ever be required for them to provide church sanctioned same sex marriages. I do think that the issue of punishing acting sexually within a same sex civil marriage, but not punishing acting sexually within an opposite sex civil marriage will create some ethical, moral, and doctrinal issues for them.

Nah, they'll figure something out to satisfy the drones. Hard to fail when you are The One True Church.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 11:35PM

Um sorry hello.

Polygamy was never an "Eternal commandment"

I refer you to Section 132 of the Doctrine and Covenants, where the Lord himself said "not by way of compulsion."

Oh. Wait.

Hmm. Yeah. Scratch that.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:02PM

went to two sacrament meetings (ugh) and both did. I am in Utah.

Posted by: manbearpig for this ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:06PM

Here in OKC they did not read the letter, but the sacrament talks were about the family proclamation and the threat of SSM was central to the talks.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:08PM

Same-sex marriage puts them in a very strange position. In the temple, you make a convenant to have sexual relations only with a spouse to which you are legally and lawfully wed.

A same-sex couple can answer, "Well we are legally and lawfully wed."

Their Articles of Faith also state that they believe in being subject to the laws of the land.

So what are they to do with this one? They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:46PM

Keep sending their drones out to fight for the "higher law" even though they'll inevitable lose. Leaders will keep face this way as prophets, seers, and revelators.

The evil, worldly, government will eventually win. "Woe is us," say the leaders. "We're in evil times," say the leaders. Blame the world and the government.

Everybody adapts. The church leaders stop their crusade. In fact, they start downplaying or erasing the fact they were even involved. Current members go along because they don't want to battle their church (aka their way of life).

Younger members and/or new converts go along with the new way, thinking their church is virtuous and innocent.

Old members who fought for the old policies are vilified and called liars and are said to have bad attitudes. They're sold down the river.

Summary: members are sent into a losing battle, then later vilified for fighting that battle. The church feigns innocence and moves on.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:49PM

Yes, that's exactly what I've thought for a long time.
How they'll get round this I don't know, it's fair enough that they won't be forced to perform same sex marriages but will they refuse to recognise them and how can they if it's a "legal and lawful"marriage?
It will be interesting to see.....

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 11:17PM

They aren't required to accept all things that are legal as being moral.

Drinking alcohol is legal. Smoking is legal. Coffee and tea are sure legal. Yet the church can still deny people entrance into the temple for partaking of any of them.

The church still has the right to consider gay marriage as against their morals. I can't imagine why gay couples would want to be a part of such a church, though.

Posted by: a nonny nouse ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 11:43AM

You're exactly right. It's like they are still acting as if the lies they told to pass Prop 8 are true. The 1st amendment already protects religions from doing anything that conflicts with their doctrine. No one is going to force TSCC to marry gays and lesbians in their temples or chapels. Nor to admit coffee drinkers to their temples either. And yes, no self-respecting gay or lesbian would want to have their ceremony in a Mo' chapel or temple.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:10PM

in Riverton ut..... not here. At least not in sacrament meeting. Don't know about ss or pm or rs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 05:11PM by closer2fine.

Posted by: wanttobeexmo ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 06:03PM

I'm in Riverton too. Our ward building was across from the Riverton Hospital. Always looking for others near us.

Posted by: in riverton too ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 10:31PM

Looks like we're neighbors ;)

"hausfrau"

Posted by: wanttobeexmo ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 09:54AM

I was in the Rose Creek Crossing ward. I've resigned so no longer on the roles. If you want to message me, here's a fake email account I use for these purposes: stevejonesion@gmail.com.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:19PM

I'd love to be there when they ask a couple to come to the alter to volunteer as the witness couple and it's a SS couple. It could happen any day now because two people with temple recommends could easily be worthy to enter the temple according to the church rules. If they have their endowments and were married recently outside the temple they are still married and allowed to participate in the temple. Just wait. This will happen. I'm single and never been married but I've been asked to participate as one of the witnesses in the witness couple. There is no way they know if I'm gay or not.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 07:18PM

That's an easy little rule to change.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:23PM

"Reading that made me cringe-- did they seriously forget that God changed his mind about polygamy?" God also changed his mind about black people even though they "sinned" in Heaven to become black in the first place. YIKES! God is so indecisive!

"Stuck between a rock and a hard place for eternity." -this should be the LD$ motto.

Jujube - why 2 sacrament meetings? Are your trying to make yourself sick to get off work or something? One is enough to make me puke for at least one year.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 05:30PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:39PM

we combined with another ysa ward in another building. I went because my friend needed a ride and to see the guy I'm crushing on.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 05:38PM

no

Posted by: maddyb ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 06:50PM

I was there and they did read a letter. Did not know it was about SSM though, as I tuned it out completely after the first few sentences.

Posted by: annon1guy ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 09:06PM

Didn't read it in my ward.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 09:46PM

Not a word about it here.

Posted by: Hanklee ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 11:57AM

No idea. I went fishing.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 11:11PM

I wonder why some wards read the letter and others didn't? I'll wager it's cuz there are more NOM bishoprics than the COB would like to admit.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:30AM

SSM has been legal in many other states. Why make a formal statement now that it's legal in Utah?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 08:21AM

Would it not be pointless to read it out in areas where sum is already legalised?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.