Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 12, 2014 04:23PM

10 years ago when the gay marriage issue just started to get traction in national politics the religious right were adamantly opposed to legalizing "civil unions" for gay couples.

Now that gay "marriage" is becoming a reality I've noticed that the religious right are all of a sudden championing the idea of civil unions for gay couples. Too funny and so ironic and hypocritical. Civil unions, all of a sudden, "makes sense" to them now that their "precious institution" of marriage is being legally granted to the gays.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:10AM

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 12:29PM

They won't remember it that way of course. How quickly memories change...

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 03:30PM

What's the point of making the distinction? Okay, let them be "kind-of" married, with the rights afforded to married couples, but don't let them think that they're "MARRIED, married"? I can't believe how obsessed with this issue some people are. My TBM FIL is one of them. He makes a point of bringing it up every time we talk. Not sure what he gets out of it.

Posted by: LOLILOL ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:39PM

The way things stand, overall straight couples in common law relationships have more rights than legally married gay couples. This needs to change, but it will still take some time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.