Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 12:21AM

I thought the gist of the research was done but, woe-is-Tommy-be, there's yet more, perhaps going back as far as when Monson and Patton supposedly hooked up as schoolmates/friends and whether Monson has imaginatively enhanced his story about meeting with Patton's mom to console her in the wake of Arthur's death.

(P.S.: There are others doing damn fine research on this subject and I will be giving them credit where credit is due when I put my own wrap-up together).

If there's anyone who's going to be swimmin'-with-da-fishies, it's Monson who, through his own lies/embellishments, has shot his story full of holes and has thus made his own one-way trip to the ocean floor).

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 03:56AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 04:15AM

Was Patton's Mom a widow?

Date: January 13, 2014 07:27AM

. . . one day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and two days before their son, Arthur Frank Patton, enlisted in the Navy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 07:29AM by steve benson.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:15AM

So.....Tommy is not Dunn yet.
But he will be...

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 08:42AM

Steve, more details may be emerging...but they're not emerging on this thread! ;-)

Date: January 13, 2014 02:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 02:24PM by steve benson.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 09:09AM

"Damn the torpedoes!"

Date: January 13, 2014 02:56PM

. . . the old Grant primary school and/or Horace Mann Jr. High in SLC in the 1930s. Presently not coming up with solid evidence one way or the other on that point. The request will be better understood once evidence on the matter is put in the historical context of Monson's claims.

Tank ewe.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 03:03PM by steve benson.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 03:54PM

Here's a list of famous alumni that attended Horace Man Jr. high.Monson was in the class of 1944.

http://westalumni.slcschools.org/Spotlight/Renowned_Alumni.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 03:56PM by madalice.

Date: January 13, 2014 08:24PM

... but thanks. :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 01:40AM by steve benson.

Date: January 13, 2014 08:23PM

. . . over on another discussion board, under the title, "Benson blows Monson's Arthur Patton tale ouf of the water" (do a Google word-search for it).

A couple of my Patton examinations are there, the first one being a paste from RfM by someone else, at the top of p. 1; the second being a recent one I put up there myself, located on p. 2.

Additional short comments from myself and others, sprinkled in-between. It's fun once in awhile to be reminded how the other half "thinks."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 08:45PM by steve benson.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 09:19PM

Hmmm. That is kind of interesting that these other poster don't think it's a big deal that Monson's stories were altered or changed and embellished, mostly by the profit of god himself. What am I missing about their posts exactly Steve. Please tell me. It is something personal about you? OR do they really NOT see a problem with this?

It shows me that monson has a knack for story telling and has gotten away with his sticky sweet delusional memories about how wonderful he is for far too long. So, was Dunn also just an old GA with a poor memory. These people are being made a fool who believe him. Most call it lying. At least I do and It makes me sick that people are oohing and aweing about his wonderful stories when they appear to be misrepresented!

Date: January 13, 2014 11:46PM

. . . so, they make personal diversionary attempts at saving themselves from thinking by piling on ex-Mormons, hurling childish insults at them and putting on a fake show of being proud priesthood bearers and dutiful daughters of Zion (when deep inside their faith shaking is like Jell-O).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 11:49PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Shummie ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 09:28PM

Posted by: emily ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 09:46PM

My parents received Tommy's book "Consider the Blessings" this Christmas from their neighbors. The book is compromised of 50 "true" stories from his life, showing the Lawrd's hand in situations, but when boiled down, it's really just Tommy bragging about all the wonderful things he's done for people. I would LOVE to know if any of those stories include a "few" embellishments. It made me think of all the talk lately about Dunn and all the book and tapes he put out about stories from his life.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 10:31PM

I can still remember the first talk I heard from a GA that sounded hokey and it was even back when I fell hook, line and sinker for Paul Dunn's fabrications.

I was at BYU the Fall of 1975 and my roommates and I drove to SLC for October conference. We couldn't get in the tabernacle, but we sat in the assembly hall and watched it on closed circuit.

It was Tommy Monson and he started his talk saying that he had something completely different prepared but saw a little blond-headed girl in the balcony and it made him change his talk.

OK, here's a link, pretty easy to find since I remember when it was.

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1975/11/the-faith-of-a-child?lang=eng

Anyway, my roomies and I even talked about it on the way home and wondered why he said he changed the talk because of a girl he saw in the balcony. Surely he didn't know that girl would be there and the talk was obviously written and prepared way in advance. He had all the names, dates and places and an intricate timeline laid out in the story. As well as poems, etc. If he'd changed it when he saw some particular little girl, he'd have had to write it in the 30 minutes between when the session started and his talk.

So because of the Patton story, I was googling this girl's name. She really existed, died in 1974 and had a funeral at a mormon church in Louisiana, so it wasn't completely fabricated. But obviously he was dying to toot his horn and had totally planned that talk. And all the little "miracles" about the scheduling of the whole thing have got to be embellished to fit the narrative. I mean if TBM BYU coeds can pick that out, something was off. But the whole thing was just another example of his narcissistic nature and love of stories where he's the hero.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 10:39PM

I know if this happens today, it would be pretty easy to out them...talks are prepared a month or two in advance (at least the development process begins)...if there is a mole in the content department (i hear that these talks go through systems where they are edited and prepared for Conference), these situations can be easily discovered. If sure many of you already know that though :)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 11:17PM

If only all of the members of the church would wake up and realize how much the leaders lie to them and mislead them.

They wouldn't feel bad about doing the same in those horrible interviews the leaders insist on.

When I was in HS I had won several trophies for acting and creative writing. I would have put those talents to use in those interviews. Instead I did the next best thing, silence.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.