Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:48PM

I know a gay man that got baptised by the missionaries a little while ago. I'm not sure where he is at with his view of the church but recently he posted some struggles he was having about being lonely.

And a bunch of missionaries/members commented about how he shouldn't give up (Or give "in").

They said things about finding the "perfect" woman one day and having the goal of getting married in the temple with her.

And I am just thinking to myself how clueless they all are. The man is Gay. Why are they trying to force him to conform to their ideas of happiness? I know lately the mormon stand on gay people has been for them to remain celibate (and silent)

But apparently there is still some places where gay members are pressured to live heterosexual life styles.

And it makes me very sad to think that this is still happening to people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:01PM

Since they think pushing a gay man into a marriage with a woman is a good idea, I would ask them if they would be okay if was their own daughter that married him. And if not, why would they wish that anyone married someone they felt no romantic love with.

These people are shallow beyond measure. Their total lack of understanding of what it means to be a warm, vibrant, empathetic, sentient human sickens me.

Posted by: anjelikaxm ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:27PM

mormonism is the religion of the straight white middle class male and his enterage with lots of smiles and waspishness and sickening niceness with a dash of PR so that it looks diverse and inclusive. while that may not be the approach of every member i have known over the years that is the general asthetic and the institutional identity of the church. No church doctrine i was ever taught has anything to do with being a genuine human it is all about conforming to a stereotype and then convincing yourself that you are an individual even though you don't feel like one at all. Your individuality comes not from living your life in a fulfilling and thoroughly unique way but from the fact that the big man on a distant planet insists that you ought to be so.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:44PM

+1

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:46PM

What a spot on summary.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:53PM

Ask them if they (as heteros) would like to be forced into marrying someone of their own sex. See what they say. Of course, they will immediately say that THEIR way is right and the gay way is wrong so nevermind. Don't waste your time asking.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:02PM

Hopefully he will uncage his brain.
Quickest way to happiness.

To TSCC, all of us are interchangeable parts living interchangeable one-size-fits-all lives.
(Or we should be, our sin is to refuse.)
Expecting reason or attempting a thoughtful dialogue is a waste of energy.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 08:12PM

Very very sad. Also sad is the damage done to said family, especially the children, when someone who is gay does marry the opposite sex.

I HATE this about the church. It affects every aspect of my life, and the fact that some are still pushing this makes me sick.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 09:38PM

Reminds me of the diving horses at the state fair. I cringe to see them forced up the ramp and down that chute as if they really want to "dive". Yes, they do it, but they obviously hate it every step of the way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.