Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lurking ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 09:31PM

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/19694/A-short-history-of-LDS-Mesoamerican-scholars

I have read online in many places that Thomas Stuart Ferguson spent many years believing he had found the right evidence to prove the Book of Mormon true through archaelogical excavations.However he cofessed to the Tanners through mailed letetrs that he no longer believed the book to be true,but just stayed a Mormon to kepp his family.

Here is Mike Ash promoting his discoveries to boost faith in Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 10:03PM

But that's only because I've got some extra you-know-whats...

Yep, you're dead on that this one needs a "rest of the story" on Thomas Ferguson...

I see there's no space for comments... Pity... Someone could ask Mr. Ash about those stupendous discoveries that were made by Fergie in Mesoamerica...

Here are a couple of links about John L. Sorenson, the other guy Ash referenced... BTW, Sorenson is the orginator of the Limited Geography Theory for BOM events, and he also suggested "Joseph meant tapirs" interpretation of the established scientific fact that horses went extinct in the New World in the early Holocene and were unknown until the Spanish re-introduced them in the early 16th century.

And as a bit of background, the author of the first piece tangled with a couple of us numerous times on RFM. She's dead-on with this one, however, and the fact that there's agreement with her analysis of Sorenson's pseudo-scholarhip and the piece I authored is telling...

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon399.htm

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon606.htm

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 10:36PM

Unbeliever begins to show his hand.

Mike has done a great job of producing amazingly silly theories about the BoM.

Now, he brings to our attention one man who lost his testimony over the failed BoM proofquest and the facts about the Book of Abraham.

Now that Mike has people taking him seriously, he can lure them into the world of the unbeliever by getting them to look up Ferguson and see for themselves what the scientific inquiry Mike mentioned last week can lead to.

Let's just hope the GAs don't see his plan before he can finally bring his readers to their own conclusions that the book is false.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:01AM

I'm actually beginning to think Mike is one of us. He's going to go out with a bang and write a tell all book that the thousand of exmos on this site will buy. I've already used mike to blow up my TBM BIL's ridiculous BOM theories. Keep up the good work brother Ash. We await you with open arms!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 10:24PM by Major Bidamon.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:20PM

<snort> - yes, I fully expect Mike Ash to join us one day.

Whether or not he realizes that right now is a matter of speculation ...

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 10:39PM

I wonder if the church published this one because Ferguson lost his faith.

Church News Editorial Page, Deseret News July 29, 1978, page 29

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Z9lSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MIADAAAAIBAJ&pg=3322%2C7466139

"Why not leave hidden the things that the Lord has hidden? If He wants the geography of the Book of Mormon revealed, He will do so through His prophet, and not through some writer who wishes to enlighten the world despite his utter lack of inspiration on the point.

Some Authors have felt "called upon" to inform the world about Book of Mormon geography and have published writings giving their views. These books, however, are strictly private works and represent only their personal speculations."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 10:41PM by Hoggle.

Posted by: ex missionary ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 01:33AM

Mormon Times won't let you comment but Deseret News links to their articles and allows comments.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705366626/A-short-history-of-LDS-Mesoamerican-scholars.html

Well, they allow some comments. They have the most heavily moderated comment system I have ever encountered. Dissent is allowed but it has to be done in the right tone and without using any of their prohibited words. Don't ask me what they are, they are not published anywhere. Ash's articles can some times stir up some controversy in the comments but you have to have a lot of patience with moderators if you ever want to participate. I think most don't find that it is worth their time.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 04:42AM

Can you imagine what it must have been like to be the wife of Thomas Ferguson? I admired him greatly and heard him speak. He was absolutely sincere and obviously believed there was truth to be found. He put his money, his family and health on the line. When he found out what we all know, he was never the same.

Imagine a love for truth and a dedication to sharing that truth that would draw you into a prolonged search in Central American jungles only to come back with a truth you couldn't share?

That everything you were taught (and taught) was a lie. That you used tithing money (presumably) to discover faith-destroying evidence of NON-TRUTH?

And then to finish your life out with your academic and personal integrity now like a splinter lodged under your nail, a great hindrance rather than a badge of character.

I feel so sorry for the man who could never be himself.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:02AM

Ferguson was like most of us ... human. He tried his best, but in the end, he could not polish a turd. He is one of our foundational exmo martyrs along with BH Roberts who no doubt was a closet doubter (started reading his studies on the BOM last night).

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:58PM

I have an almost visceral dislike when this man's name comes up because one of his kids was good friends with my mom and someone I'd consider a major force in getting us in the church and keeping us in the church. If Mr. Ferguson had been able to stand up for the truth and take the consequences, his kids lives might have been different and maybe my family would have stayed Episcopalian. But because he hid his disbelief, this particular child is a very devout Mormon still and all of those grandchildren and great-grandchildren are too. Not to mention the people that those Fergusons influenced into the church through missions and "sharing the gospel."

I have full sympathy for those who have to go along to get along. I'm in that boat myself, although no one doubts I disbelieve even if I reluctantly attend occasionally because it makes DH happy. So I sympathize with the awful position Mr. Ferguson found himself in. But I think someone who set himself up as an expert like that has even more of a responsibility to be truthful about his findings. Not like the Mike Ash's who are apparently trying to twist facts to make them fit his beliefs. Ferguson actually didn't believe and shut up about it - and others paid the price.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 04:55PM

++ good

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 06:18PM

These are the very people that allow this lying corp. to
exist. My TBM mother never fails to point out the elite
members of the morg such as educator's, politician's, athletes,
entertainer's, all the good folk..... How can it not be true?

Just ask my brother.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.