Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 12:30PM

Yeah. I hardly know what to say. Makes me even more firmly anti-gun. Sorry folks. Just telling you so you'll know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:05PM

I like to blame the bullets.

Guns don't really hurt anyone.

I am mostly anti-idiot though. If we didnt have idiots, all the other problems would go away.

Date: January 16, 2014 06:29AM

I like to blame the people. People do hurt people, and in the Western World, Americans are at the top of the heap on that one. We're number one!

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:45AM

Look at it this way. There will always be crazy people.

If there is gun control, crazy people won't have guns.

If a crazy person wants to go out in public and commit mass slaughter, he/she will need to work a little harder to make that happen. Chances are he/she will do a lot less damage without a gun before being apprehended.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:05AM

It is a society in denial that blames its social problems on its tools.

We have a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem.

Date: January 16, 2014 11:08AM

+++

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 12:35PM

I hate guns.

And I hate lawyers like this one:

Reeves’ lawyer, Richard Escobar, later said his client’s reaction was natural.

“The alleged victim attacked him,” Escobar said. “At that point in time, he has every right to defend himself.”

Yeah, if I get attacked by dangerous popcorn, I'm gonna shoot whoever threw it with a gun, in "self-defense."

Posted by: AIT ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:20PM

And I could do without fascist bullies like this retired hot-head cop.

Date: January 16, 2014 06:30AM

It is Florida, so be prepared for this guy to walk away from murder.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:06AM

Do you hate gasoline because people use cars to commit crimes?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 12:39PM

I was thinking about this earlier. How if I said to a Mormon: "Well, he was breaking theater rules. If he'd been obedient, this tragedy never would have happened," the Mormon would have been horrified and thought I was a terrible person. But how often have we heard Mormons blame missionaries for tragedies that happen when a missionary is breaking the rules? Or an inactive deserves whatever befalls them because God is trying to humble them to get them back to the church? Thinking about Mormon views of obedience in light of this terrible shooting puts them into perspective, IMO.

Posted by: ballzac ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 12:39PM

So, if he was stabbed with a knife instead?? It doesn't matter what tool was used, if you have murderous intent.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 01:18PM

Right, so we probably should think twice about making it so easy for people with murderous intent to get their hands on a tool with the sole purpose of killing.

Date: January 16, 2014 11:12AM

+1

Posted by: RinCaba ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 01:03PM

Knives are less deadly. Further, they take more commitment on the part of the attacker. This father probably would have survived a knife attack.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 02:05PM

The shooter is a retired cop.

Discuss.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:26PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The shooter is a retired cop.
>
> Discuss.

Riverman says:

I am mostly anti-idiot though. If we didnt have idiots, all the other problems would go away.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 02:58PM

Yep, shooter was retired cop. By law, they're entitled to 50-state carry once they've retired, and not subject to local CCW permitting policies. In other words, if he was known to be dangerous, you'd have to take it up not with the local LEO, but with the issuing agency (which, if the guy's a retiree, may be halfway across the country).

This isn't a gun issue, or a texting issues. It's a matter of two idiots with egos bigger than their heads.

Posted by: csuprovostudent ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 03:37PM

Oh, but it IS a gun issue.

Just because they were two idiots with big egos, the fact remains that one of the idiots had a gun and decided to use it.

If he didn't have a gun, how would this battle of egos played out? I suspect there wouldn't be any fatalities, but maybe that's just me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 03:38PM by csuprovostudent.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 03:54PM

If the idiot did not have a gun, probably no fatalities.

As Americans, we have the right to bear arms. There is a reason for that right. I will side with continuing to have that right while taking the risk of running into the rare idiot that abuses that right.

It is sad when something like this happens. I feel bad for the family.

You are living in a fantasy world if you think the US would be a safer place if they took away our right to have guns.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:02PM

actually, csuprovostudent would be living in Canada or Europe. Unlike the Book of Mormon, those are actually real places. I've seen them!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:13PM

Why is the reality so hard to grasp... It would be the next thing to impossible to get rid of all the guns in America. Thought exercises like "if there were no guns..." are only of use in a philosophy class.
There needs to be better access to mental health resources. A mentally stable and well armed populace is an incredibly polite populace.
However, that might as well be a thought exercise too, the way things are going. But hell, at least we've gotten to the point where the majority of people know that mental illness isn't a result of sin, although you can count the infinitesimal slice of the 'Murican populace that are mormon OUT on that one.
I guess that's some progress. So nice to know the mindset I was raised in is NOT the majority!

Date: January 16, 2014 11:21AM

"A mentally stable and well armed populace is an incredibly polite populace."

Polite, why? Out of fear of being shot by any given person standing near?

Truly a mentally stable populace doesn't need to be armed because mentally stable people pose no threat to each other.

Guns should be reserved for law enforcement & military.

Once retired, cops & retired military don't need guns anymore and should be revoked of rights to bear arms.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 03:02AM

One of the things that was drummed into our heads REPEATEDLY is that you have to feel that you or someone near you is in danger of serious or lethal harm before you draw your weapon.

I can't even remember how many years I've been carrying, and thank goodness, I've NEVER felt that I had to draw my firearm. I'm a grandmother, with a few disabilities that would prevent me from either running away or fighting back in case of assault.

I think that the guy who was texting in the theater and who threw popcorn was behaving like an immature jerk, but there was NO WAY that the cop could have thought he was in mortal danger. He had no business using his weapon. What really staggers me is that he should have known that. Surely, over the course of his career, he should have developed a sense of who was capable of doing him lethal harm and who was not.

Posted by: Biffbo ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:58AM

That's a lame argument. Society should bad mouth the ex-cop and call him for what he is. A fucktard who didn't think it through. Throw the book at him and many ass rapes in prison. Let me serve his time and think long and hard about the next time he decides to pull a trigger.

Punish stupidity. Not the gun.

Another tragic ending for an idiot with an ego, pride, or whatever.

Can't blame the devil so lets blame the ex comps stupid decesion that the has to live with.

In case you haven't noticed the USA turning very east germany each year. Not only do you have to protect yourself from your own Government but from the looney toons that you might meet in the street.

End of story.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 03:57PM

I don't throw popcorn on people for the same reason I don't mess with people generally: because you never know if they're mentally stable and you never know if they're armed.

Someone cuts me off in traffic? Oh well. I don't lay on the horn because I don't want to get shot.

Someone bumps my shoulder on the sidewalk? Oh well. I don't start a fight.

I operate under the assumption that everybody is armed and everybody is unstable.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:13PM

Anymore, I think everyone is both of those, pretty much.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:29PM

kolobian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I operate under the assumption that everybody is
> armed and everybody is unstable.

:)

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:07PM

I couldn't agree more! I think that texting during movies is VERY SAD, even when it's the previews.

I feel bad that the ex cop has to spend the rest of his life in jail because this inconsiderate guy has no manners.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:25PM

I don't feel at all sorry for that old trigger happy prick.

Posted by: wcg (nli) ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 05:11PM

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 08:40AM

oops, my sarcasm radar is out for repairs

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 08:51AM

Really? You think it's sad when a dad checks in with the babysitter to make sure his toddler is okay and the babysitter doesn't need anything?

Yeah, that's really over-the-top inappropriate behavior when the movie hasn't even started yet.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:48AM

Kinda makes one wonder what parents in the 60's did without the ability to be in constant contact with their kids, doesn't it?

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 04:39PM

See, the thing that is really troubling is this:

Reeves is not some "crazy" "unbalanced" “monster.”
Reeves is a normal human being.
In fact, the vast balance of evil is perpetrated by "normal" human beings.
The ones who are rule-keepers:

“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules.
It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages”
― Banksy

So – what I struggle with every day
(and I do struggle, every day):

What does something like this say about human beings?
What does this say about the species?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:19PM

Texting or talking during commercial previews seems reasonable to me. Perhaps the shooter was looking for trouble. It is very sad that a man lost his life to a self appointed enforcer.

Date: January 16, 2014 04:28AM

While I disagree that it's ok to text during the previews in the theater, I agree that a noisy gun is overkill, especially when a stabbing would have been just as effective.

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 06:29PM

A guy brings a gun to a popcorn fight, and then says that it was in self defense? This is awful. Are we going to have to put metal detectors in movie theaters like we do in inner city highschools?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 08:34PM

A gun to a popcorn fight! That made me belly laugh. Glad we can find the humor in these types of situations.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:04PM

I have NO right to comment on the US gun laws, as I don't live there.
I am just very sorry to hear of this awful tragedy.

All I want to say is that in the last 12 months I had to move away from a neighbuor who was mentally unbalanced. He accused me of doing the most amazing things, things I would never have THOUGHT of, and he was VERY agressive. I did NOTHING to him, he was medically paranoid. If there had been any way he could have got a hold of a gun, I would not be here. Yes the mental health laws failed both he and I in this case, as nothing was done.

People can own guns here in Australia,under fairly strict regulations I understand, (I am NO expert) and yes there are tragedies from time to time, which break my heart. But fortunately, for whatever reason, this man didn't have one.

I don't have any answers to such tragedies, but it would be SO wonderful to think SOMETHING could be done.

My condolences to all involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 07:09PM by fluhist.

Posted by: 404 ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:08PM

He was a nutbag loose cannon with a cop's power complex.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:27PM

It's a very sad situation. The retired police officer obviously snapped. The police deal with so many numbskulls on a daily basis and probably have no way of adequately de-stressing. He probably had years of pent up stress building inside of him.

OTOH the man who was texting, when requested to stop, should have quickly exited to the lobby to complete his texting. That would have been the courteous thing to do.

The last time I went to a movie, I was sitting next to a ten year old boy with his parents sitting on the other side of him. He was on his cell phone playing a game during the movie. I turned sideways and gave him a hard stare. His parents did nothing. Eventually he put it away. I was appalled that his parents did not intervene.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:27PM

Whatever happened to getting out of your seat and moving to another part of the theater. Problem solved.

The cop was citing the "stand your ground" law -- as if popcorn was a lethal weapon ... snort.

Hope he gets the book thrown at him. What a fool!

Date: January 16, 2014 04:30AM

The problem with him moving to another part of the theater is that shooting from further away means he's more likely to hit innocent bystanders...

Posted by: shoothim ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:38AM

He did what most cops want to do, cap a civillian.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 05:25AM

I really don't understand what's wrong with texting in a cinema... It doesn't make much (or any) noise when my 17-year-old daughter texts (all the time)...

Can someone please explain?

Tom in Paris

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 05:35AM

It's the bright light from the phone. It's distracting and rude to people trying to watch the movie. Movie theaters in the U.S. have a message before the movie explicitly telling people not to talk or text during the film. They are told to exit to the lobby area if they have an urgent message. They are told to seek assistance from management if anyone in the theater is talking or texting. I always shut off my phone either before the movie or when prompted to do so.

It's fine before the previews start, but once the lights go down that's the signal to put your phone away.

Posted by: dcgsage ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 06:59AM

I happen to be a gun enthusiest even though I do tend to be somewhat liberal. I hate the NRA because they just seem to be a religion for gun owners. But I am a gun enthusiest. My problem with 'gun hate talk' is it is just like any hate talk. I have a govt clearance, I have a CCW permit, I have had so many back ground checks done on me, I laugh about it. Most gun owners are law abiding and very responcible. There is no sense in punishing perfectly honest gun enthusiests just because of a handful of nut cases and dangerous gun owners who need anger management. Yes, I support extensive back ground checks, but to go around hating guns is wrong. Don't lump my gun collection and hobby into this mess.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:55AM

If they treated guns like cars . . .

You'd have to have a 5 day waiting period and background check to buy a car.

You couldn't take cars from state to state.

You'd have lobbyists both for and against people owning cars.

Anytime someone was killed by a drunk driver or distracted motorist, it would make the national and international news.

All because a handful of drivers shouldn't be issued a license.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:11AM

We can't change hunan nature. Bullies and idiots will always been with us.

We can change the laws.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:12AM

Yesterday, I had some free time and decided to go to a movie. I heard a lot of "intense" stuff about WOLF OF WALL STREET, so I bought a ticket and went in. The theater was empty, so I had my pick, which is "middle-middle" when I can get it.

Soon about 5 other people came in, and that was all we were: 6 people in a large empty theater.

Wouldn't ya know it? A young couple with drinks and popcorn sat down in the row behind me, one seat to my right. As they settled in, they noisily unwrapped their snacks and slurped their drinks and talked in loud whispers.

Annoying, right? Why did they have to sit RIGHT BEHIND me, when the theater was so empty? I guess they were "middle-middle" people, too.

I didn't notice any cell phone/texting, but I couldn't have seen them do it if they had, without getting up and looking directly at them. Texting in a dark theater before the movie doesn't really bother me anyway.

But KICKING THE BACK OF MY SEAT - now THAT BOTHERS ME! If it's little kids, I can let it pass. But adults? I always consider moving to the row behind them, and kicking THEIR seats.

I felt a few pushes and a few inconsiderate whacks to the back of the seat next to me..... the seats are all connected.

WHY must they sit so close, in a large empty theater, and kick my seat??

I felt like shooting them. Or throwing popcorn at them. Luckily, I didn't have either.

Oh, and the movie was intense enough that I forgot all about the noisy, back-kicking couple behind me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.