Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:46AM

I left the Church many years ago and made some ex-Mormon friends along the way, and very often we will say "the ONE TRUE pizza" or "the ONE TRUE single malt scotch" or something ridiculous like that -- the more absurd the better. It never gets old. I'm sure a lot of you do it too.

Anyway, I heard someone on Facebook say it this morning. He said with some excitement that "the ONE TRUE Batman" is finally coming out on DVD. I assume he means the Adam West Batman TV series from the 1960s. I was somewhat surprised to hear him say that, because he's from New York state and completely unrelated to Mormonism as far as I know, and I don't want to ask him.

But I can't remember running around saying "one true church" all the time as a Mormon, though obviously they believe that it is. It's something I picked up as an ex-Mormon, and I can't actually recall when that was. So, it might not be a solely ex-Mormon in-joke after all. However, I don't think I've ever heard anyone but an ex-Mormon say it.

Does anyone know? Is that just an ex-Mormon in-joke or do other people say it too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:54AM

I NEVER said "the one true church" because I never believed it. Period. DW, though a semi-TBM doesn't either.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:56AM

I like irreligiosophy - "the one true podcast".

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:56AM

but the phrase is definitely associated with Mormonism in my mind. Are you sure your New York friend wasn't just copying you?

Date: January 16, 2014 11:26AM

No, he's a minor celebrity that I follow. He doesn't know who I am. He's James Cawley, a Star Trek "super fan" who built very accurate looking sets at his father's used car lot and produces fan films that are pretty good. Nothing to do with Mormonism that I know of, so I was surprised to see "one true Batman" appear in a status update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 11:27AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:59AM

Because in Mormonism the idea of two or more beliefs being simultaneously true and sharing simultaneous validity is... "Incon-THEEEV-able!"

(apologies to Wallace Shawn, whom I once saw in the airport)

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:01AM

"One True......" is not exclusive to the Mo's. I've heard it used in advertising quite often. The only time I heard "the one true church" used was in church meetings.

Date: January 16, 2014 11:21AM

OH! You're right. I do remember hearing it in a commercial not that long ago. That's my answer.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:07AM

In the height of being TBM any church verbiage I used outside of church would earn me funny looks even from other TBMs.

Turned out the game appeared to be mocking belief three hours every Sunday then throw it all away until next Sunday. That's how church members behaved and I found it rather frustrating that I seemed to be the only one living & breathing the gospel 24/7/365.

Tangent.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:08AM

Didn't hear it much in daily life, but it's fun the exmos use it.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:26AM

Others may say "one true" but mormons are the only ones who say "the one true church on the face of the earth."

So, there could be other true churches INSIDE the earth. Or on other earths. Right?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.