Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notsure ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:06AM

So I've known about the bs church for a few years now and I recently told my wife about it all back in November. I thought we were on the same page about everything. Until her friends decided to do a friend temple night. So her and her 3 friends went to a session last night and when she got home she told me that she didn't feel that it was wrong. Even knowing about the mason connection and js being a total fraud. I tried explaining how it's not right to play savior for someone who's dead. She instantly went on the defense. She finally got to the point where she wasn't defensive about 2 weeks ago and to start the defending the church shit again pissed me off. I tried to not get mad but I was furious inside. What can I do or say to get her back to questioning. I feel like she's going backwards again and getting sucked back into the cult.

She also told me that I should go back and go through a session so I can see for myself.i didn't say anything but I wanted to say that I was not going to that cult and chanting and playing some dead guys savior. I don't want any part of thinking that I just saved someone so they can now supposedly accept the bs church and make it to the celestial kingdom. I don't know what to do or say. I just don't want her to go backwards after all the work we've done to try to find the truth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Realistic ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:10AM

Does she really think that getting admitted to heaven is based upon fraternity-like handshakes and secret passwords?

I mean, in the whole temple ceremony, the words "charity" and "love of neighbor" are never mentioned. It seems to me that God would care a lot more about those items than various handshake grips.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:13AM

Did she use the cafeteria? Maybe that's what sealed the deal.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 11:13AM

A lot of people's have a path out that has a lot us U turns. After all, she's spent her life, energy, time and money on this, and it's terrifying for a lot of people to turn their backs on it.

Tell her you understand that she's afraid. If it won't do you any permanent emotional harm, go to the temple with her. Afterwards, you can calmly go through the entire thing and tell her what you don't believe in and why.

Patience, my friend. Patience.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 12:10PM

I think the major problem is the "3 friends" - she seemed to be coming along on the right path before they interfered.

After what they've done, you have every right to try to set them straight. Give them the facts about the temple ceremony and about Joseph Smith, tell them the truth about the so-called Nephites and Lamanites, expose to them the deceptive and harmful practices of their so-called church.

If they tell you to lay off, then you tell them to do the same. But if they keep interfering with your life and your relationship with her, let them know that you will never stop - tell them your family is worth fighting for.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 12:27PM

I think you should leave her alone to figure things out in her own mind. If she pesters you for church stuff, simply ask her how she would like it if you pestered her about leaving it all behind.

Is it possible to be in love with a true believer and have a separate life? I would think there are a lot of "mixed" couples posting here who could give you some better ideas than starting arguments.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 12:31PM

The harder you push her, the further into the Mormon Mire she will go.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 12:55PM

I have seen many couples sailing along side by side in different boats and they get along just fine.

Posted by: mormon411 ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 12:57PM

One of the things it is very easy to do is to assume that since we have found and accepted the truth, that others will when we share it with them. My guess would be is that your wife is not ready for the truth. She most likely goes along with it because she is afraid of hurting or offending you.

Keep in mind that all those who fall away are now viewed as having been deceived. We are now attempting to tear down the true kingdom of god. So when we attempt to share what we have found, they see it exactly the way the church has predicted.. We are now miserable and angry and are attempting to destroy their eternal salvation as well.

The more we try to convice people to leave, the stronger they will cling to it. The best way to get people out is to do the opposite.. Do not try to convince them it's not true. Just show them that it IS possible to be happy outside of the church.

No one got you out. No one got me out. We did it ourselves. It is truly a personal journey. Your wife has to do it herself without being pressured or it will never mean anything to her anyway. In fact, she might resent you for turning her world upside down and challenging the only truth she has ever known.

I know that no one wants to hear it, but the best thing we can do is just leave them alone. Let them enjoy their mental chains. Only when THEY are ready, can they set themselves free.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 01:03PM

You can watch the endowment session online. No need to go.
Family home evening-Sitting together watching the endowment session. Pause every once in awhile to discuss whats going on in the ceremony. You can even put on your temple outfit if you want to. After all, mormons have been told for years that their home is just like a temple.

Date: January 16, 2014 02:21PM

Thank you mormon411. Your dead on. I'll just play it off casual and won't bring it up again. I just hope she keeps digging

Date: January 16, 2014 02:25PM

Thanks to all. I love rfm. It really is entertaining. I think I might watch the endowment session with clothing and all and a case of beers. At least it would be entertaining at that point

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.