Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 11:58AM

He was a bishop and stake president here in Arkansas. Of course he has his groupies here who think it's so awesome way cool that he has "made it." But watching the video that was recently posted and watching video of a couple of his recent talks, I am absolutely convinced the guy knows he is in over his head.

He has NO personality. No, make that he has a HORRIBLE personality. He is arrogant, condescending, and downright cold. He tries so hard to be profound, but he can't quite get there. The "pickle talk" was a prime example. I mean seriously, any normal person would have seen that as the stretch it was.

And I will never forget his first trip back here as an "apostle." His first words in the open Q&A period he declared were pretty close to this:

"Now you can ask me any question you like. But it's not particularly useful to ask 'Where is Laban's sword today,' so let's try to focus on things that are constructive. A lot of people like to ask 'What's it like being an apostle?' Well, I can say I don't worry about my 401(k) anymore! [Looking for laughter, which he received from the groupies.]" I kid you not.

And one thing he must have been disappointed in was having his "Show your scriptures" gesture squelched. At every meeting as SP he would say "Show me your scriptures" and everyone was expected to hoist their scriptures high overhead to be seen by all. Well, I'm guessing BKP and others told him to knock it off, because we haven't seen it since.

Can't stand the man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SpencerWthimble ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:13PM

'A lot of people like to ask 'What's it like being an apostle?' Well, I can say I don't worry about my 401(k) anymore! [Looking for laughter, which he received from the groupies.]" I kid you not.'

Oh my, if he really said that, what loss of bearing. Isn't it supposed to be proprietary top secret that GAs are financially set for life?

Date: January 17, 2014 12:16PM

SpencerWthimble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh my, if he really said that, what loss of
> bearing. Isn't it supposed to be proprietary top
> secret that GAs are financially set for life?

Oh he absolutely said it. I was TBM at the time and when I came home I passed it on to DW and we looked at each other in stunned silence.

I suppose one MIGHT interpret it to mean he is no longer focused on pursuing wealth, but that is definitely not how it came across.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:05PM

I took that to mean that he knows he's never going to retire now.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:19PM

Or that he got a golden handshake of some kind, paid for housing, a work vehicle, etc, already, plus has the book/tape residuals deal signed and in hand, and now doesn't need to care or worry about paying for retirement, ever again.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:29PM

You're in Arkansas? You might know my parents depending on what Stake you're in.

Date: January 17, 2014 12:30PM

We are in NW Arkansas. Where are your parents?

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:34PM

In The Cabot Ward in Central Ark... I think it's the North Little Rock Stake, but it's been a while.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:40PM

It was a mighty good job there just happened to be a rug on the floor in that video. Staged, false, vaneer.....

I'm usually a pretty good judge of character - it's an important part of my work. Apostle or not, LDS or not, I've never liked the guy. Saw him speak at a stake conference when I was NOM and this only reinforced my view. He has a very high opinion of himself and a distinct lack of humility. That he personally believes he's an Apostle on a par with Peter, James & John is laughable.... and a complete blasphemy.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 04:15AM

If Bednar lived 2000 years ago he would have been in the crowd of religious leaders telling Pilot to crucify Jesus because he was stealing his limelight.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:56PM

So at the Q&A Session Bednar says the audience can ask him "any question" they like, but then tells them what not to ask him.

Guess his definition of "any" is god-given and not the one found in the dictionary.

I've listened to a few (too many) of his talks and my impression is that he is controlling, calculating, and cunning. I don't think as a SP he would give too many second chances to anyone.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:54PM

He used the same line at an MTC fireside (heard this from a TBM source...used the Laban line)...I almost said "Did anyone ask about the Book of Abraham?" :)I didn't want to ruin a holiday gathering though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 05:00PM by zenmaster.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:35PM

Worked with him at Ricks College and there were a lot of people who were frustrated with him because he refused to help with fund raising. It was beneath him to be a salesman for Ricks College. It was probably a good thing because he would have been horrible at it.

Yes, he's very superior and condescending. And if you are a woman you are assuredly second class. I read his textbook about Organizational Behavior and when it came to the section on women in business it basically said he wasn't going there. In other words women belong in the kitchen (something he actually said to my face)! Can't stand the man.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 03:37PM

Given his spot in the seniority ladder and the age of those ahead of him, he's almost guaranteed to the the CEO of ChurchCo some day. Boy, what a treat that will be for the believers.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:58PM

Bednar is 61. The two apostles next above him in seniority are Uchtdorf and Holland who are each 73. Everyone above them is 80 or older.

Date: January 18, 2014 04:19AM

Well someone had to replace Boyd K. Packer for the token jerk apostle. Boyd is going to be kicking the bucket here pretty soon.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:10PM

GBH was at least likable as a human being. I've never liked Monson; he has always felt unauthentic/pretentious to me. Yet Bednar would be a jump from frying pan into fire. But what else is new.. the leadership is just aligning with the rest of the organization as time goes by.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:22PM

"I can say I don't worry about my 401(k) anymore!" - add this to the pushing into Bryson's butt video and you have just another EVIL SATANIC MONSTER! I'm certain he will be the profit someday (IF TSCC REMAINS AS IT IS, Oh I hope it is taken from the earth!) The reason I am certain is because I am CERTAIN that TSCC is bone chilling EVIL and he is the most EVIL of the 12 now so he is perfect for his SATANIC ROLE. He's doing quite well as SATAN's side kick now which the video proves. He takes the boy into the Satanic space and then shoves his crouch into the boy's butt. EVIL? YES!
TBMs are worshipping EVIL. If I were even vaguely near a ward house, I'd be nervous. The evil inside of places like that are like slime, it gets out somehow.

Anyone have a link to the "pickle talk?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 04:25PM by verilyverily.

Date: January 17, 2014 04:47PM

verilyverily Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone have a link to the "pickle talk?"

Mercifully, the pickle story is near the beginning. Gawd I can't stand listening to the man.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/04/ye-must-be-born-again?lang=eng

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 11:56PM

Ho boy. That is some kind of stupid shit. Be ye therefore like unto a pickle. :roll eyes:

I clicked on the next button, which is Monson's talk. Ho boy.

I always hated listening to/watching conference when I was a kid. So boring and dumb. It is absolutely weird to me that my entire family is believers; well, I have doubts about a couple of cousins, but they're not talking to me about it, and I'm kind of famous in my family since I've obviously not been a church-goer for 25 years.

Date: January 18, 2014 04:22AM

Bednar would make a good Jesuit but he's too stupid to be a Jesuit.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:59PM

I agree.

Bednar was faking it.

He wasn't really sodomizing that kid.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 05:00PM

I think he lost his soul when he became an apostle. I watched his talk on tithing at last GC out of morbid curiosity. No emotion behind his eyes. Just two black holes.

Date: January 17, 2014 05:01PM

"He wasn't really sodomizing that kid." - only because their pants were still on. Look at the video again and notice where on the anatomy he places his crouch in relation to Bryson's body. It is DISGUSTING! It is clothes on sodomy.

Date: January 17, 2014 05:10PM

Thanks for the link - Now I am sorry I asked. I am back from vomiting now though. It was so obvious how he was going to make TBMs into pickles through all of the procedures. GAG A MAGGOT! There is only ONE pickle he is concerned with as he demonstrated through the video.
Is his face always this greasy mess? Does it always have a certain Wessonality?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 05:11PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: fundamentard ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 05:26PM

Bednar is one of those people who is just missing something fundamentally human. I would say he has absolutely NO sense of humor. Especially about himself. I have always thought he was pretty stupid because of this, because I consider a sense of humor a sign of intelligence.

The inability to laugh at one's self is usually a sign of insecurity--a person who strongly suspects that everyone around him knows he's an idiot.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 05:50PM

The moment he said "come" I knew the kid was in trouble. I'm not trying to be smutty in this comment either

This bozo is Ted Haggart (sp?)
Just wait

#justaguess

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 08:49PM

Just watched a bit of this video. The most remarkable thing about it is the evidence that Bednar is an alien - look at his ears!

Posted by: porterrockwell ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 09:02PM

Went to see him at a stake conference and the first thing that he started into was (paraphrase) "you need to go to your bishop immediately and repent for those sins that you've been hiding," and "make sure you are paying your tithing." All this mixed in with an arrogant tone.

Posted by: notinthislifetime ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 10:00PM

Out of curiosity I had to read "the parable of the pickle". Only in a mormon world could your spirituality be tied to a pickle. I could only listen to the video for under 30 sec. Even his speech was "canned". I'm so happy I never have to listen to anymore of the lousiest analogies that have ever been concocted.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 03:34AM

We were in the same ward as the Bednars. Add me to the list of people that will vouch for him being an arrogant, condescending a**hole.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 06:48AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.