Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:06PM

...in a previous thread the topic of Mitt's mission service came up. Likening his tenure in France to "military service" also came up, and, as a 12 year vet, and retired law enforcement officer myself, I feel VoteForPedro's comment, although heartfelt and honest, missed the point;

"Having served as both a missionary and an officer of the American armed forces, I'm pretty sure the accident that killed Sis. Anderson isn't really representative of either experience. Statistically, it's just a thing that happens, with greater frequency when youth and carelessness are involved.
The smear campaign that seems to have followed is much more indicative of elitism and sociopathy than anything else.
Saying it was "like the military" because he was responsible for someone's death is mildly offensive to those of us who actually were in the military."

...Yes, it IS offensive when someone of Mitt's Royalty was able to rally his family's resources to help him obtain at least 6 student and ministerial deferments to avoid military service, while, at the same time participating in pro-war rallies as President of the Cougar Club; then later campaigning for President, while hypocritically claiming his desire to have served.

...In regards to to the unfortunate accident which killed Mitt's MP's wife, and severely injured him, there were several conflicting stories regarding the Catholic Priest who was "alleged" to have been drinking. In addition, it was known that Mitt's dad, George, who was head of HUD, and mounting a Presidential effort, was engaged in "smoothing over" the event on behalf of the Church's presence in France. It was also felt by the friends of the well-liked French Priest, that he was not prone to drinking.

...it was hoped that the tongue-in-cheek comment by me would spark more interest in the Romney narrative.

...my point was that alone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:37PM

And a great point indeed. I got the joke and thought it stood rather well on its own.

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:01PM

Sorry if I missed your point. I thought you were implying that his situation was like military service simply because he had killed someone.

My military service never resulted in any deaths (friendly or foe) directly from any of my actions. For that I'm grateful. Military service, by its nature, involves killing. But it's intended to be a bit more deliberate.

I could actually draw some legitimate similarities between mission and military life, and the ways both the church and military indoctrinate people. When I was 18-19, I was looking for direction and fell right into both of those things. I ate it up. There is some overlap, but generally, a mission really isn't the same as serving in the military. The only thing like the military is, well, the military. And the only thing like a mission is a mission. Or maybe the Scientologists' Sea Service...

But, yeah. Back to Mittens. I don't see why the smear campaign was necessary. Nobody thinks that much of an accident. It happens. Why not just say "hey, it was an accident"? Most people get that. It can happen to any of us.

They probably said the priest "had been drinking" because he used wine in communion or something. Because, as Mormons know, one drop of alcohol is all it takes to turn someone into a raging alcoholic beast. All it takes is one step into Stan's territory, and you completely lose control. I saw an apostle say that on YouTube. You lose all control, and then you have to use your agency to repent and return to JeebusLand over on the rug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 02:01PM by Vote for Pedro.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:27PM

"over on the rug." Funny!

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:31PM

It made me laugh.
"Smooth over" I believe is just another name for coverup in this particular situation.
I doubt the public will ever know what really happened with Mitt at the wheel. My guess is that he was more at fault than he will ever admit.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:36PM

Accidents happen on the road, and those properly restrained by seatbelts stand a better chance of surviving. Simple fact.

Comparing Mormon salesmen to soldiers is practically nauseating.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.