Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 05:47PM

I just HAD to comment on this supplied by almostgone:

"The actual letter stated that it was to reduce the amount of time people are away from their families on Sunday.

Ward activities that occur on other days of the week are still permitted."

SERIOUSLY? Their excuse is that it is to reduce the amount of time people are away from their families on Sunday? So the families don't attent potlucks as a -- well, family?

How stupid ARE Mormons?

;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 06:00PM

Indeed, it was!

Timothy

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 06:02PM

Sounds like a well-founded fear to me.

Whenever you are given a nonsensical explanation for something, it always means they do not feel like they should state the real reason.

I wonder if LDS Inc doesn't want members to be genuine friends, because they might talk honestly to each other.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 06:08PM

Brother Casper U. Swinefleshhe, a lowly GA, likes to throw his weight around.

He visited a ward which had staged a potluck and he thought he could detect a faint smell of chilli Con Carne in a chapel he was visiting. "This smell of food is very distracting from the spirit. I will send a memo asking for potlucks to be banned! The fact that I HATE the smell of Mexican food has nothing to do with this."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 06:09PM by matt.

Date: February 15, 2011 10:13PM

My family eats chili all the time and we are miserable, sinful, and (worst of all) absolutely not-Mormon. I'm sure it's the chili. (And the fact that we have semi-functional brains. ;)

No offense.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 11:13PM

Oh dear...I am feeling so bad. I just took a huge pot of chili to my ds's Blue and Gold banquet. It was the first dish to disappear.

So I guess the whole room is going to be miserable for a while. My bad.

Date: February 15, 2011 11:14PM

Now they will never have their families OR their genitals in the afterlife!

How COULD you?

:)

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:31PM

I spoke with a still somewhat active member today who doesn't hesitate to spout what they hate about the church. They said the potluck thing is not a new thing. This rule has been around for about a year and a half. Potlucks are okay at the church, just not on Sundays.

Posted by: seymour ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 04:05AM

To reduce the amount of time people are away from their families on Sunday?

Hahahahahaha - Every other Sunday members of the ward meet at 7:00 a.m. for ward council, followed immediately by ward welfare, which runs right up until sacrament meeting.

With the chapel 30 minutes away for most the members in our ward, this means waking up at 5:30 in order to leave by 6:30, meeting for 5 hours, and getting home (in a separate car from the rest of your family, mind you) around 12:30. That's if you don't have a PPI or presidency meeting or home teaching to do, etc., etc., etc., planned after church.

So axing the mildly entertaining potluck is the logical solution.

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 06:39AM

The wards/branches having the potlucks are using the kitchens, cultural halls & wasting utilities that LDS, Inc. is paying for but getting no return on money spent. Perhaps they consider potlucks a frivolous business expenditure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.