Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: travis ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 01:08AM

A few years back I had a garage full of motorcycles. One for each purpose or mood. From dirt bikes, cruisers & sport bikes.

Needless to say, a much contested divorce took half of my rolling stock away & attorney fees gobbled up the rest. Last fall, I sold my last motorcycle with the hopes of replacing it. The empty spot in our garage was quite sad.

Today, we finally settled on a bike. We test rode a bunch from Harley's to Goldwings. We wanted comfort & power.

So, drum roll please...we got a great deal from a private party on a black Kawi Concours 14.

Ride on!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 01:33AM

'bout time! I'll be on the lookout for ya.

Date: February 16, 2011 03:31PM

HI Buddy! Let's get together. Didn't think you were still around this board.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 01:37AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 01:39AM by steve benson.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 09:47AM

Live Free, Ride FAST!

06 Ducati 999.

(miss the San Angelo,Austin,Del Rio rides, Ron)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:01AM

Marble Falls, Wimberly, Devil's Backbone! ;)

Just sayin'...

ron

Date: February 16, 2011 10:04AM

"Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their heads out the window of a moving vehicle."

Crotch rocket or road hog, it's all good!

http://www.pbase.com/roninhouston/image/56702202.jpg

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: February 16, 2011 07:39AM

Live Free, Ride Hard.

2005 Heritage Softail Classic.

Ron

Posted by: carbonbiskit ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 11:01AM

2010 Harley Road King, sweetest ride around.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 08:35AM

I ride a 2009 Mengdeli mainly because it is cheap...

One day, when I actually start making money, I'll buy myself something nicer.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 09:53AM

I've had a bike since I was 14, and I have a 1600cc V-twin touring bike.

That kawi Concours would be a second bike for me if I had multiple bikes. I'd get too many tickets on it though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:04AM

What would be a good 'starter' bike for a mid forties car driver to start with?

Date: February 16, 2011 10:08AM

The one they give you when you take the "Rider's Edge" course at your local motorcycle purveyor.

I'm serious, learn how to ride before you buy. And while you're learning, figure out what you want to do be it cruising around the hills on snakey roads or laying down on your gas tank and hanging on for dear life.

Then, go buy a used motorcycle. Every dealer has a HUGE selection.

Ron

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:17AM

Cheers Ron,

I'm more a cruiser than a boy racer but a mate has a BMW 750 something or other which is a nice in between the two type machine.

Date: February 16, 2011 10:18AM

BMW's are like riding on a cloud and your ears aren't bleeding after you're done. :)

Ron

Date: February 16, 2011 10:18AM

Or if it's not a Harley Dealer, an MSF Beginers Rider Course. They will teach you right from the start of not knowing how to operate the controls, till you are able to pass your license test.

They do it on very small bikes. If you are going for a used bike, the Honda Magna is a good bike(they don't make it anymore, so you have to go used). It has enough power, and isn't too heavy. Smaller Yamaha Vstars are light. Kawi Vulcan 800/900's are good. Etc.

Once you know how to ride well, any size bike is fine, but from what I hear from others who are just starting out, a light weight bike is easier to get the hang of. And if you buy used, the times you dump it putting your foot down in a patch of sand at a red light etc. won't be scratching up a brand new bike.

Go smaller and light weight. And later get a heavier bike if that's what's needed for the type of riding that you do.

Have fun.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 11:18AM

... "Beginner Riding Course"

My son and his wife had just gotten themselves to crotch-rockets (Yamaha R6S's) and to me they looked like coffins on wheels at the time.

I was thinking if taking the whole family on a sky diving adventure but I knew that would be expensive and we'd be strapped to another person for our jump.

I decided learning how to ride motorcycles would be something they could all walk away with -- and know something more for the effort.

Seven of us took the BRC ... the instructors had never done that before (they said they usually discouraged couples from going through together). It all went great and all 7 of us graduated with our motorcycle licenses obtained.

I'd encourage EVERYONE to go through this course (there's bound to be one taught somewhere near you).

When I started I thought I'd be getting a cruiser, but after the class and several test drives I knew that wasn't quite right for me.

I went for a fairly cheap sport-touring bike: Susuki V-Strom 650. Great power and plenty of acceleration for me (which is saying a lot).

I'm into my third season of riding and my love for riding has grown more and more. Last summer I rode solo from Ohio to Colorado for our family reunion (my son and DIL would have been CRAMPED up like a pretzel by the time they would have gotten to Colorado).

Got pulled over in Kansas doing 95mph on a 105 degree day, thought my goose was fried ... but the officer stated (with a knowing snicker) that he clocked me at 80mph ... and I thought, hmmmm, last time I did 80mph was about 100 miles back. He let me off without so much as a warning. First time for me -- did I mention I like Kansas cops?

Posted by: wine country girl(not logged in) ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:19AM

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:54AM

Been riding this week on the bike i bought on halloween. ride on.

Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 12:02PM

I've been riding bikes for 38 years...

...Hondas early on, but for the last dozen years I;ve been riding BMWs. The latest is an 1150RT.

The riding season in Canada is still two and a half months away, bummer.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 12:08PM

Date: February 16, 2011 03:34PM

You have a great memory for a skunk! Yes, I used to ride a Honda Valkyrie...the dragon. Hence, I called the bike "Puff".

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 07:34PM

travis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have a great memory for a skunk! Yes, I used
> to ride a Honda Valkyrie...the dragon. Hence, I
> called the bike "Puff".

Hey! Who said skunks don't have great memories??? ;)

Also, way back it took me a while to figure out that "Travis" was one and the same as "Puff Rider" .... I had to put a lot of clues together. So, skunks can be sleuths, too.... ;)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 06:14PM

...are an absolute MUST! It is the perfect introduction for riding and I totally had a crush on one of the instructors.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 06:16PM

Good on ya!

Posted by: Raider ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 07:13PM

Great stress reliever!

Posted by: Lester Burnham ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 01:46AM

The Connie 14 is a good ride; nice combination of sport/touring--and a long heritage and following; enjoy!

We've had a break in Winter in Utah last weekend--I was out on the "beaked one" (2010 BMW GS1200)---refreshing to be on two again.

Riding is great therapy--as all of us who ride know too well...

Ride well and safe.

Date: February 17, 2011 09:27AM

Wow, I didn't know so many of us rode. We could form our own "anti-temple riders" club.

OK, lets not, but I've been invited a few times when I was going to church by them. It was always said as if it was going to be the most cool thing ever to be in their group.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.