Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 08:25PM

She posted it last night and said she got a million calls and texts. A few minutes ago, she posted that it wasn't true and implied that no one knew her very well or we all would have known it was a joke. She had her friends in on it, and she maintained up until a couple of hours ago that she really was engaged. She was commenting things like, "Didn't Grandma tell you?" No. "Grandma"--my mother--didn't know a thing about it. So I told her that if she really was engaged she better tell her own mother (my sister). To which she replied, "Oh she already knows." Yeah right. My sister's exact words were "What the hell?" I think my niece is annoyed that I took her joke off Facebook to the family and called her bluff. Here's a girl, barely 18 for six months, never had a boyfriend in her life, been at YBU for 6 weeks, thinking it would be fun to see what happened if she told the world she was engaged. Here she is in this uber Mo university and she doesn't even consider how it would look for her to post this as a joke. Without realizing it, she managed to make all those desperate RMs suddenly look a lot more desperate. And I didn't think that was possible.

I guess I'm looking at this through biased eyes because I had a friend in high school who was always coming up with crazy stories to get attention. This friend had a million of them. Course, to her, it wasn't a joke. She really wanted us to believe this stuff and it wasn't until years later that we were told the people she'd been "engaged" to and her resulting fake pregnancies weren't real. (I had figured it out years before because she wasn't a consistent liar.)

I needed to vent. I know it was just a joke, and ha ha, it was funny to a few people. Scared the hell out of me there for a bit until I realized what was going on. Oh and did I mention that my lying conniving niece is going to the temple on Saturday with my parents for some dunking of the dead?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 08:31PM

You seem to have issues (you alluded to them in your post) that you are taking out on an 18 year-old girl, aka: your "lying conniving niece."

Adj. 1. conniving - acting together in secret toward a fraudulent or illegal end.

Really? is that what she does? Then you have grounds for ranting.

If she doesn't... then perhaps you need to get a grip?

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 08:38PM

Conniving was too strong a term.

Posted by: sanantonioblue ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 08:38PM

Relax... It was a joke. No need to get mad at her.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 08:39PM

... your 18 y/o niece has been at BYU for a whole SIX weeks and she's NOT engaged?

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 08:57PM

This was right after someone on the Sister Wives FB site friended me and she thought we were serious and got all upset that I had earlier told her I wasn't a polygamist. Maybe she had some plans.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 09:01PM

the grill she owned was a George Formby Grill, and that George Foreman was the man who sang: "When I'm cleaning windows."

Here's the difference:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAeijj5cM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9pug9YZio&feature=related

She's a natural blond who lives beyond the stereotype... ;o))

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 09:34PM

A friend of mine and I posted that we were engaged to each other on FB, everyone knew it was a joke. Fake relationship statuses are actually very common. XD

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.