Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Emmahalesmith ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 09:11PM

So the missionaries stopped by on Saturday. When they rang the doorbell, the dog barked and my 9 year old went to answer the door. My husband saw who it was from a side window and yelled "Don't answer the door!" loud enough for them to hear. They stood at the door awhile, and even knocked with the brass thingy on the door, sending the dog into a barking frenzy.

This is probably the third or fourth time they've come by in the last year. I've told them not to bother - we know where the church is and if we wanted to attend, we would get ourselves over there. We don't go because we don't believe in it anymore. I told them to stop coming by - they were wasting their time.

My 9 year old asked why they keep coming by (he previously heard me tell them not to come by again because we weren't interested). I don't know how to answer him. My gut response is pretty cynical - they want our tithing money. Is it really only about money? Is that what it boils down to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:15PM

I can't imagine why they would keep coming. Do you live in a predominant mormon neighborhood / Utah or Southeastern Idaho? If not, I believe these guys might be quite nervous about being so bold while being in a minority. If so, they perhaps feel protected by the mormon majority.

If you live in the "mission field", you might teach them a lesson by banding together with a few neighbors. A crowd of dissenters just might scare the shit out of them and get them both transferred to another area. At which time, 2 more will eventually stop by.

If you are in Utah, putting up a cross or a political sign for a democrat might work.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:18PM

call the police the next time they come over and tell them you have stalkers at the door.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:20PM

Part of the problem comes from the constant turnover of missionaries. The new ones may have no idea that you told the last set not to come by anymore.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:20PM

then their coming by over and over does not make sense.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 10:24PM

They think it's their job to grow the church and keep its programs funded and operating.

TBMs are like cogs in a machine. They feel they must mindlessly keep going through the motions.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 11:22PM

I would ask them, why do they follow someone (Josesph Smith) who married other (living) men's wives? I would share that I consider that to be immoral. Why are they following an immoral man?

If they're going to pester you, you might as well educate them. ;-)

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 11:33PM

Michael is correct. In Utah it is a domestic disturbance which is a misdemeanor at minimum.

You told them to leave; they didn't. If they keep it up they can be fined.

If they continue despite your protest with a signature they can be arrested.

Eat the law Morg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.