Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 12:58AM

I know there are forms of Pride which aren't very good, like the self-righteous attitude, but when we had this lesson in Seminary I was kind of bothered.

And it must have been a general conference, because my YW leader had issues finding a different word. My sister even called her out on it. "I shouldn't say I'm proud of you girls." WTF????

A parent being proud of his/her kid is showing love towards them and congratulating them on a job well done. And again, this church teaches that even this kind of pride is evil.

And I know I just keep blurting out what you guys already know, I just like saying it myself. :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yours truly ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 01:49AM

It's a flexi term at least - pride.
I take pride in good efforts, good work, positive results I am if only a little part of achieving, over good and efficient teamwork, etc.

If pride means arrogance, for instance, it's generally negative and has something to do with charater flaw such as higher-than-average level of narcissism for instance.

If it's over something I have gotten without efforts, like good genes, good looks, inheritance, membership in a special club or church, etc., it's part of what I *am* or what I *own*, and could give ground for some social self-confidence etc., but nothing particularly to be proud for although it may be tempting. It's probably the degree of this kind of inherent pride that is the most sneaky negative overall for a society, if it's too much pride of such free given things.

If it's over a child's effort, then it's the child who should feel pride and not you. Being glad on behalf of other people' success, on the other hand is held as a good thing.

Many other concepts are used wrongly or without much thought, such as envy - which is a destructive thing because one rather would destroy something other have as long as one cannot have it self. Desire, on the other hand, is a good thing since it means that you have a drive to work for something in order to have it.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 03:34AM

I think that comes from an E. T. Benson talk shortly after he became profit. he said we should not use the word pride. That took some mental gymnastics in EQ meeting the next week. We were trying to figure out how to do what he said in different situations. Like you said, telling your children that you are "pleased" with them and not say you are proud of them.

Posted by: yours truly ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 03:47AM

If one is proud of his or her child that, to me, may be sign of feeling ownership for another human being - which definitely seems suspect vs. narcissism that tends to view children as 'part of' the self.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 09:44AM

I've always had a hard time telling my kids (or students that I work with) that I'm "proud" of them. Because their accomplishments aren't mine to be proud of.

But I'm always pleased when I see them doing their best and learning responsibility. But they get to own their successes and failures.

. . . and your comment about it being narcissistic to be overly proud of your kids. I agree.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 03:35AM

A group of Lions is evil...?

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:09AM

LOL

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:23AM

Telling a kid "you are proud of them" is not taking credit for their accomplishments. You are telling them, you would be glad to stand up and tell everyone, you know them, and are a part of their lives. It's the opposite of ashamed of them, which would be not wanting people to know, you know them. ie, "...Billy you got straight A's, starter on football team, help disabled kids after school, stood up for a kid who was being bullied, and you volunteer to read to people at a rest home. I would be happy to tell the world you are my friend..." Instead of all that we just say "I'm proud of you" Doesn't diminish Billy's hard work at all. And it is much better that saying "Billy, you are pleasing me with your actions" like some Lord on high.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:16AM

Posted by: Wise Ol' Cabbie ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 05:53AM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 07:44AM

Stiffneckedness is that aspect of Pride that keeps you from turning from your evil ways. Pride and Stiffneckedness are the hallwarks of the wicked who refuse to look or turn their heads when the righteous call out to them.

They are blinded by their own ambition and the traditions of their fathers. They are too set in their own ways to repent.

When the truth is made known to them their P&S keeps them from accepting it.

Pride and Stiffneckedness keeps some people in their church even after loved ones and friends have given them the truth in black and white.

Pride and Stiffneckedness not only keeps people from repenting, it also prevents them from apostatizing even when they know that what they are doing is wrong.

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 09:37AM

Mormon leaders want malleable members they can exploit and push around.

Not surprisingly, anyone who stands up for themselves is labled "proud".

Self-confident people do not join Mormonism and they do not stay in.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:18AM

The words "pride or proud" in my house growing up may has well have been the F bomb. My mom hated it....

I would have liked to hear her say it at least once while growing up. I had such a low self esteem, knowing she was proud of me would have been beneficial.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:33AM

There was a general conference talk about this I think in October, maybe in the priesthood session. The conclusion was that saying you are proud of someone or something isn't a problem.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:44AM

I knew three generations of a family where grand pa didn't want the family to be "proud" so he made sure to rip up anything the kids accomplished;
yes you got first place, but there are a lot of others who do better than you,
yes, you got an 'A' but look at all those 'B's,
Yes, that dress looks good on you, but you're not that pretty.....
the grand children had the lowest self esteem you could imagine.
He'd ripped up his children and they passed it on to theirs... I wonder if the grand children will ever
be able to grow enough self esteem to challenge that method of child-raising
and change their behavior???
Very Very Sick, and sadly they're mormons on top of it....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.