Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:46PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:51PM

Well a high standing job that's for sure. And if I remember correctly, after the current prophet dies, the oldest of the quorum of the 70 becomes the next prophet.

Posted by: cecilia ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:53PM

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 10:56PM

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 04:06AM

Any idiot, knows that in a fit of pre Kolobian flight jitters, an ailing prophet names who the next in charge is, in a vision from God....

lawlz.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 04:16AM

Unfortunately that's the wrong question to ask.

The right one is:
"How does one get to be the President of The Corporation Of The President Of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints?"

The answer is contained within the legal articles of association of this corporation - and is therefore a man made process rather than divine inspiration.

<POP>
thats another Mormon bubble burst...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 04:17AM by jon.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 05:06AM

By being managed correctly so that your income from the aggregate of your investments exceeds your expenses.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 09:15AM

In the real world, a prophet is anyone who creates a new religion. An example might be Moses who is credited with creating Judaism. I say "might be" because Moses likely did not exist and, even if he did, Judaism wasn't created until many years later during the reign of King Josiah.

Jesus might be another example except for the fact that he was a Jew who practiced Judaism. He really had nothing to do with Christianity. The Apostle Paul is generally credited with inventing Christianity but even there it is uncertain how much was Paul and how much his successors.

That brings me to Joseph Smith. JS was a genuine prophet in that he created a new religion. Being a prophet has nothing to do with foretelling the future or having any special connection to the supernatural. I suppose we could quibble about whether Mormonism is really a "new religion" or just another Christian sect but, for the sake of argument, I'll assume it's new.

Next we have Brigham Young and all his successors none of whom were prophets. Why? Because they didn't start a new religion, merely perpetuated the religion begun by JS.

Think about it.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 09:22AM

According to Corporation bylaws, upon the death of the president, the apostle with the most seniority takes over the position of President of the Corporation. But don't worry, the bylaws are inspired.

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 10:48AM

I was in third grade when Ezra Taft Benson Benson died, and I asked my school teacher how you "signed up" to be the next church president. I think in my little-girl head I honestly thought that some day I could sign up for that job. She just gave me a really funny look and told me to ask my Sunday school teacher.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 11:21AM

You didn't already know the church had you penned down to be a homemaker for eternity? Preposterous!

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 12:04PM

They were also going to rent you out in one of their uterus-farms to one of their full-fee paying club members for all time and eternity. Yippee! Surely nothing more enjoyable than an eternity of being pregnant. I'm sure they would've given you a few weeks respite between impregnations. That is, if you weren't righteous and faithful enough to be ready again sooner.
Mormon heaven sounds great for women!

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 12:11PM

Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 12:18PM

President Hinckley was asked this very question in an interview with Larry King.

Larry King: What does the president entail? I have heard you called the prophet. Are you the -- when you speak, do you speak for the church?

Gordon B. Hinckley: I speak for the church, yes, I think so, yes.

Larry King: And this is a position you're appoint -- how do you get this? How do you get to be president?

Gordon B. Hinckley: You're appointed a member of the counsel of 12 and you out live everybody else(LAUGHTER) The senior member of the 12 becomes the president of the church

Larry King: The council takes turns? Gordon B. Hinckley: Right

Posted by: vivo ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 12:37PM

It doesn't take much to out-prophesy a mormon prophet.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 01:07PM

Gordon B. Hinckley: I speak for the church, yes, I think so, yes.

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 01:23PM

The same way one gets to be a pope. Be willing to lie, cheat, and steal from your fellow man. A few secret murders and some child-molestation along the way doesn't seem to hurt, either. Oh and don't forget to meddle in government.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 02:26PM

Hang out with a lot of 14 year old girls.

Posted by: carbonbiskit ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 04:47PM

Turn over enough of your profit and they are sure to make you a prophet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.