Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 02:23PM

WTF? We are all now officially in hell thanks to Missy itzpapalotl. LOL

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 02:25PM

You can kiss my ass!
Seriously, xeriscaping can look really nice. You should read my little rant on the Lake Havasu thread :)

Date: February 18, 2011 02:28PM

Bwahahahahaha! When I was in grad school in Phoenix, we went through Sun City several times. No shit, they had green rocks. Damned near lost my car completely when we drove by and this octagenarian was out there trying to mow it. ;)

Oh, and about the ass thing - bear it and I shall partake.

just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 04:10PM

You giving her grief about a "math problem" but then tossing this one at us...

If she bares her hiney, only then will you have your moonshot...

My question for Izzy is, what are we saving the water for? My suggestion is we put a condom on the population problem...

Mature vegetation including lawns helps function as a "carbon sink" and may help slow global warming...

At least that one makes sense to me. I'll have to ask Jesus for certain... He's the authority on this stuff...

Curbing population growth would make silly solutions--like Lake Powell, which should never have been built--less appealing for salesmen who masquerade as politicians...

And don't read that one wrong; nobody's gonna tear down Glen Canyon Dam, but reservoir loses more water to evaporation than it conserves...

And in a couple of hundred years it'll be a big mudflat that'll probably xeriscape itself...

SLC
Winter Quarter Advanced Environmental and Ecology Lecture

Date: February 18, 2011 04:28PM

That's a really good question, Cabbie. Much of the water conservation is for farms. Can't really grow anything in Yuma, AZ without the Colorado. Anything more in depth I'll have to ask the BF.

I'm not completely against lawns, I am disgusted with how much water people waste on them. I think Kentucky Bluegrass is just about the most ridiculous species to grow in the desert when there are other grass species that are drought resistant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 04:33PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 05:17PM

Yeah, where's Hayduke when ya need him?

Probably out planting something green...

Date: February 18, 2011 06:28PM

No, not exactly. It just reminded me of the green rocks in Arizona and then how xenophobic Utah is. It gave her a chuckle, thus my job was accomplished. I don't fire all synapses from time to time.

Ron

Date: February 19, 2011 09:06AM

I'll call him Tonatiuh because he's a geologist.

Tonatiuh explained that we have never had a water shortage in the USA because of the BOR's work. Imagine not being able to take a shower daily of get a glass of water. That's actually a pretty good idea of what life on the Navajo Rez is like. You have to drive 50 miles every day just to get the water needed.

Water conservation is not just for the farms, but for daily use. We don't have an unlimited amount of fresh water.

BTW, Tonatiuh agrees with Cabbie with putting condom on the population control, but we still need to be conscientious about our water usage. The evaporation in reservoirs is minimal compared how much water is wasted. He used a beer mug as an excellent visual aide.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 02:33PM

We have desert landscaping in my whole neighborhood. The HOA wont allow grass. I think it looks beautiful and blends with the surrounding environment. Not to mention the water saved and I'm all for that.

Date: February 18, 2011 02:40PM

you flirt!
Are you familiar with the Bureau of Reclamation? BF has worked for them for the last 4 years and I tend to be a little nutty when it comes to water consumption. I try not to be too in-your-face about it, but a lot of people act like fresh water is unlimited.

Our yard is bare right now, but sson we're going to get it nice and xeriscaped. I'll have a little garden in the back yard and the rest will probably be purple gravel, and "stream" and some nice stepping stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 02:42PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 05:18PM

Yeah, my dad was a honcho in the bureau. We called it the bureau of Wreckthenation (thanks, Ed).

Date: February 18, 2011 02:43PM

All I know about water is how much is diverted from surrounding states and aquifers into SoCal. Comes from as far away as the Green River Basin. Most folks don't know that.

Ron

Date: February 18, 2011 02:47PM

There's a lot of insane politics regarding the BOR...Bf told me that the Provo office used to get threats from people because of the current projects. In Yuma, they love the BOR because the farms really need every drop of water you can get.

Here in Farmington, the Dine love the BOR because the rez is finally getting running water through a pipeline and the farm on the mesa is getting the water as well. It may sound nerdy, but I;m fascinated with BF's work.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 02:43PM

Xeriscaping?? That's what it's called?
I remember when we lived in Nevada and my children jumped out of the car one day and yelled in excitement
"Look!!! We have a LAWN!!!"

It was a spring grown patch of grass 9" x 9" square and about four inches high! I kid you not!!

I live in oregon now and I have two lawns! Which we mow with a reel mower!!! And we pitch tents on it. Lay down on it with blankets, play croquet, do leaps and bounds and frolicing!!!
and just feast the eyes on the green!!! (and put the clippings in the compost for the garden box!)

I only had canterbury bells and Iris and trees in Nevada, and a rock yard....

Date: February 18, 2011 02:49PM

Let me rephrase something- I didn't mean the entire west shouldn't have lawns, because I know the Pacific NW it's easy to have a lawn. I love how green it is up there!

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 03:45PM

and I am OK with that! Looks nice; no mowing.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 03:49PM

I have fought it for ten years and am about to give up. And yeah, at least it is green. I do hate the slime though. And why don't slugs DIE in the winter! It is just not FAIR!

Date: February 18, 2011 05:15PM

I'm from Colorado and didn't know fleas existed until I moved to WA. Nothing can kill them.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 06:56PM

Yeah, the moss is taking over and I'm ready to let it be. I do hate the green slime on the deck, though. It's as slippery as ice!

Date: February 18, 2011 07:18PM

Deck is rotting, even the cars have mold and moss. Lichen is growing on the roof. I want to get out of this raining hell-hole.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.