Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dapperdan ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 09:10PM

I know some people have given this quote already, but the search feature turned up no results. I need the quote that says, in effect, that when the brethren have decided the thinking is done.

I appreciate the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 09:21PM

"Any Latter-day Saint who denounces or opposes whether actively or otherwise, any plan or doctrine advocated by the prophets, seers, revelators' of the church, is cultivating the spirit of apostacy. One cannot speak evil of the lord's annointed... and retain the holy spirit in his heart. This sort of game is Satan's favorite pastime, and he has practiced it to believing souls since Adam. He {Satan} wins a great victory when he can get members of the church to speak against their leaders and to do their own thinking."

"When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan--it is God's Plan. When they point the way, there is no other which is safe. When they give directions, it should mark the end of controversy, God works in no other way. To think otherwise, without immediate repentance, may cost one his faith, may destroy his testimony, and leave him a stranger to the kingdom of God."

- Ward Teachers Message, Deseret News, Church Section p. 5, May 26, 1945
- Also included in the Improvement Era, June 1945 (which was the official church magazine before the Ensign)

http://www.lds-mormon.com/thinking.shtml

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 09:22PM by Freevolved.

Posted by: Mally Mormon ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 09:36PM

I fixed it for you

"When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a mall--it is God's Mall. When they point the way to the Nordstom's, there is no other which is safe. When they give directions, it should mark the food court, God works in no other way. To think otherwise, without immediate purchase, may cost one his employee discount, may destroy his credit rating, and leave him a fashion victim to the kingdom of God."

Date: February 18, 2011 11:01PM

I feel like I'm watching the making of a future LDS profit right in front of my very eyes...

Very special.

Wait!

Are you a WOMAN?! Gig's off, it's way off, way, way, way off.

Posted by: dapperdan ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 12:57AM

Thanks for the link. Need it for an experiment I am conducting on the relationship between mormonism and civil liberties (particularly free speech). I'm conducting this experiment for a class at BYU nonetheless =).

Date: February 19, 2011 12:32PM

Because the quote is mind-numbing, and embodies the philosophy of TSCC.

Also, becaue I think Mally Mormon's fix-up is funny.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 01:15PM

When the prophet speaks the debate is over.
President N. Eldon Tanner
Ensign August 1979

“You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It may conflict with your political views. It may contradict your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life … Your safety and ours depends upon whether or not we follow … Let’s keep our eye on the President of the Church.” (Conference Report, October 1970, p. 152–153.)

Seventh: The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.
President Ezra Taft Benson’s “Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.