Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 09:26AM

Yesterday, Nina posted about being assigned as a VTer to look for signs of of coffee, tea and such in a sister's home and was told to report back as it would mean the family might not be receiving help they had requested. The worst part is that RP told Nina to riffle around in the bathroom looking for birth control prescriptions or devices.

This is morgbot tattling at its worst because it's done through official channels and has serious consequences.

Sometimes idle gossip also filters its way into PEC and RS board meetings. It ruins reputations and undermines a family's credibility. But at least it isn't set up officially like the KGB operations Nina and others described in my tattling thread yesterday.

The intent behind tattling is to build esteem in the perpetrator and to "help" the victim learn lessons by causing them grief.

The intent behind gossip is similar because is builds esteem in those who indulge, but it usually isn't as organized or targeted.

Tattling reflects the social develoment of an early elmentary child. Tattlers haven't learned to depend on themselves for validation or to reach out in healthy ways to peers. They're stunted. They blindly depend on parental or authority figures for social acceptance and esteem.

I see obsessive gossipers as a little more mature. They're bonding more with peers than the tattlers but they're doing it at an preteen or teen level.

Anyone else notice the tattletale and gossip patterns in the morg, the only church I know where such things are assigned or are covered as agenda items in official meetings and interviews.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 09:57AM

That's probably the number one thing I hate about mormonism. Nothing but a bunch of childish tattle tales.

You'd think the bishops would get sick of it but instead they seem to encourage it.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 10:25AM

My one sister realized in high school she was homosexual. She didn't make an issue of it,,just accepted it. We as a family supported her and never thought much of it. However the member of the mormons shunned her,,gossiped about her and she was never invited to any YW functions. My parents were called in to the bishops office to "explain" what was going on. UNREAL! It was all gossip and third hand information. The day after she graduated form high school,,she left town and never went back. I done pretty much the same thing.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 12:56PM

Because of the gossip I was shunned, why? Because my mother smoked. And my dad wanted her to go the church addiction help groups? I am very proud of her, she's quit now for almost four months on patches and loving support.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 06:50PM

Tel-a-phone telegraph tell-a-rsp---tell-a-home teacher You just told the bishop.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 07:02PM

I never did find out who or whom tattled on me for smoking! That was the only way I could deal with all the stress from the cult. By the way, you should have seen the look on "the RS sisters" faces when I gave a valid mormon lady a coffee maker as a gift for her bridal shower. The recipient DID drink coffee, and the look on these hard core LDS ladies faces was priceless!!
By the way, I quit smoking a year after I left the cult for good, and I didn't require any medicines or patches. I just did it. Must have been the new strength I found since I am no longer a worthy member!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 07:04PM by utahmonomore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.