Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 10:44AM

Folks if you are going to be partaking of the crumbled wonder bread today, you might ask yourself......

why does the flesh of the savior chew like sponge rubber?

>>>>>The makers of nearly 500 supermarket-brand bread products that use azodicarbonamide in their recipes know that many of us are too busy to notice what we are eating. With this kind of indifference, we might as well eat our yoga mats.

Read more: http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/dining/mc-subway-bread-azodicarbonamide-ada-20140303,0,3362830.story#ixzz2vTcqDfQv
Follow us: @mcall on Twitter | mcall.lv on Facebook

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rootbeerbelly ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 10:54AM

This is scaremongering. The chemical is FDA approved at levels used in food. Dihydrogen monoxide is also potentially dangerous and can be toxic at extremely high doses. Trust the science, people.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 07:31PM

I drink dihydrogen monoxide by the bottle without ill effect. Though it has killed a lot of people, it need only be regulated for its purity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 07:32PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Tyler ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 11:42PM

The FDA would approve dog shit if they could get away with it.

Date: March 09, 2014 11:50PM

Hey, if it improves the product and isn't a hazard to human health at low doses, why not? You already eat beaver an@l gland secretions as "natural flavor" in raspberry and vanilla flavored foods.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 12:36AM

You might, rootbeerbelly. I don't. The FDA approves what they are told to approve, the federal government is completely for sale. Trust the science? FDA don't need no stinkin science. They buy science to support their corporate agenda.

Eat up, supermarket America, after all, rbb says a little won't hurt you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 12:37AM by hello.

Date: March 10, 2014 12:52AM

As an exmormon, you should be skeptical--I get that. All I can do is encourage you to read up on the facts for yourself. Aspartame, azodicarbonamide, MSG... it doesn't matter. Look up the peer-reviewed literature and educate yourself about the risks associated with any chemical. You'll find that nearly everything will cause cancer or other health issues--at a high enough dose. Tylenol is fatal at high doses. So is salt. So is water. As is caffeine. High doses of necessary vitamins are toxic. And there are a lot of things in our food that aren't really food, but that's modern life. We want an abundance of unnaturally long-lasting food that looks good and at least tastes ok. That isn't how nature works, but that's how we feed 7 billion of us. Be Amish if you want unadulterated nature. The FDA ain't perfect, but unlike the church, not everything about it is a conspiracy.

Date: March 10, 2014 01:13AM

There is so much woo and conspiracy-thinking here that I feel like I should be wearing a tinfoil hat...
I recommend everyone read up on the Naturalistic Fallacy. Just because something is natural does not make it intrinsically good (arsenic for example) and just because something is artificial does not automatically make it bad (like the polio vaccine). And everything, natural and synthetic, is dose dependent in its effects.

Also while I'm stirring the pot:
Vaccines don't cause autism.
Essential oils are bunk.
Chiropractic is magic that stole a little physical therapy.
Homeopathy is water.
Big pharma makes money keeping you alive, not sick.
Antioxidants can be harmful.
Probiotics are dubious at best.

Remember, be open minded, but no so much that your brain falls out.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 03:12AM

Date: March 10, 2014 03:13AM

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 12:10PM

Is this chemical in all white bread or just the bread at Subway?

Date: March 09, 2014 12:49PM

sistertwister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this chemical in all white bread or just the
> bread at Subway?

Pretty much all commercially baked bread as well as other foods that benefit from the spongie goodness.

Pardon me for sayin but my staff of life is 'Ezekiel' brand sprouted grains, available in various products.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 02:02PM by Shummy.

Date: March 09, 2014 02:05PM

Money is always the bottom line.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 12:22PM

Considering what most Mormons eat during the rest of the week, what's in that small shred of sacrament bread is probably the least of their worries. Just sayin'.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 12:28PM

I bake all my own bread. Therefore I am not involved with this issue. Except, of course, should I happen to attend a meeting where this type of food is served!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 07:10PM

I agree with Rootbeerbelly. This is scaremongering. everything is a "Chemical". Praise be to the yoga mat makers for using some ingredients in their products that just might be not 100% synthetic, that might be natural and even biodegradeable. Isn't that what you people have been clamoring for for decades? Then when they listen you decide it isn't what you wanted after all. Please grow up.

Posted by: Tootsmcguire ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 08:56PM

Does anyone know why it is banned in Europe? (ie Subway only uses it in North America.)

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Rootbeerbelly. This is
> scaremongering. everything is a "Chemical". Praise
> be to the yoga mat makers for using some
> ingredients in their products that just might be
> not 100% synthetic, that might be natural and even
> biodegradeable. Isn't that what you people have
> been clamoring for for decades? Then when they
> listen you decide it isn't what you wanted after
> all. Please grow up.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:03AM

Many European countries are banning GMO's, too. I'll eat my corn, soy, wheat, alfalfa, and sugar beets without the pesticide lacing, thank you.

There are photos on the net of animals in experiments being fed solely GMOs. Their internal organs are severely damaged and distorted. We American are treated like guinea pigs. Half the foods in the stores aren't fit to eat.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:22AM

This study has been thoroughly debunked.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 03:30AM

By some, maybe. Others have replicated it and validated the results.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 03:10AM

In europe they use L-cysteinne. A protein derrived from duck feathers and human hair. (Mostly chinese) yummo.....

I bake all of our own bread and try not to eat a lot of things my great grandmother would not recognise as food...

Yeah I am one of those... lol..

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 11:50PM

Sooo your saying if I ever get hungry at yoga.........

Date: March 10, 2014 12:42AM

Why not celebrate yer stinking science with a slice of Pizza Slut's 100% real silicone triple cheese?

Sheesh.

Awareness comes late or never for me too, but doh~

Date: March 10, 2014 01:01AM

wot conspiracy?

lest ye rile me to the point of cursing i'll say ....

mon dieu

and mon san toe

Oh and i spoze GMO doesn't mean get more obese does it?

Date: March 10, 2014 01:22AM

I think GMOs are great. It's the only way we've managed to produce crops robust enough to feed everyone on the planet. Without GMOs and synthetic fertilizers, humanity would've been screwed. Genetic tinkering accomplishes in seconds what took farmers thousands of years to accomplish through selective breeding. The same GMO traits would've occurred naturally, we just would've had to have waited until nature produced the needed mutation by chance. But we find the same needed mutation in a goldfish, transfer it over, and boom--we now have corn that can grow in soil that's usually toxic to corn, or whatever. The fear of GMO is rooted in ignorance of the science.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:21AM

The trouble is, we are loosing biodiversity because of it. One new disease and your entire corn supply is on its ass. And the consequences would be beyond belief, as you americans put corn in just about everything.

Ontop of that, because of GMO, food now gets pattented (SP?) And more and more is controlled by fewer companies.

Do you really want your food supply to be in the hands of 1 or 2 big companies who's main goal is to make money?

Date: March 10, 2014 04:08AM

I was going to respond to this with a thoughtful answer. However, after being called pathetic by you due to pointing out the simple fact that Shummy started this thread and therefore can be rightly challenged on it--I'm out. It's WAY too clique-y in here.

Date: March 10, 2014 04:13AM

Date: March 10, 2014 01:22AM

gottit

snicker guffaw

Date: March 10, 2014 01:36AM

You snicker, but I'm not the one still holding on to irrational beliefs.

Date: March 10, 2014 02:22AM

*popcorn*

:o)

Date: March 10, 2014 02:53AM

Cooked by radiation, no less. An early irrational fear of the microwave was that the radiation contaminated the food or reduced its nutritional value. This sort of irrational fear is exactly what you're pushing today. It's willful ignorance on your part.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:18AM

Not FDA, or big corporation ones, either.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:25AM

Wot.

Date: March 10, 2014 02:57AM

*agida*

burp

Date: March 10, 2014 03:01AM

Your lack of any rational response is sad. What a scary, paranoid world you must live in.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:19AM

Posted by: Rootbeetbelly ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 03:24AM

Then singling out me makes you look sad, Carol.
Besides, Shummy started this baseless fearmongering.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:33AM

Right...and with that, you have lost the right to be taken seriously by me.

"He/she started it.....nahnahnahnah..."
Pathetic..

Date: March 10, 2014 03:44AM

Date: March 10, 2014 03:49AM

It's nice to be dehumanized as a "character". Thanks. I'm just trying to dispel the misunderstandings here and counter the fearmongering.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:48AM

By pointing out a fact? Really.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:53AM

And thanks for calling me pathetic. I don't call you a b/tch, but whatever.

Date: March 10, 2014 03:56AM

Date: March 10, 2014 03:59AM

Are you ok?

Date: March 10, 2014 04:02AM

My crap? What crap? Oh, you mean I had an opinion contrary to the hive mind. Gotcha. You must be a regular here, like really really regular. Glad to know it's as clique-y here as church.

Date: March 10, 2014 05:18AM

You can call me whatever you like. It is a free country.

I was up for an adult conversation to exchange opinions on the matter of GMO and chemicals in food and such. Because it is a subject close to my heart. But I really don't want to get into a childish shouting match of who said what and who started what. I called your comment pathetic. That's different from calling you pathetic.

Our history in the morg can leave us not only brainwashed,but also unable to have a discussion or argument without feeling pesonally attacked.
I am sorry you feel that way.
I will start another thread to continue on that thought.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 04:52AM

Oh, I hate it when stuff like this happens between posters. It's OK for someone to disagree with Shummy's opinion. I've loved reading Shummy's posts forever, but I don't agree with everything he writes about, like I'm sure he doesn't agree with everything I've stated on this BB either.

Rootbeerbelly, you have good points that I agree with. Sorry that your opinions got lost in the crossfire.

From another one of the original "regulars" on RfM who only posts nowadays when I can't sleep, it seems like,
toto

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.