Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 03:55PM

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=1f4fa41f6cc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=198bf4b13819d110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD

Fetal Deity wants to be a righteous soldier in the Armies of Helaman but he is confused. Does the above statement mean that:

GENERALLY we are to marry people of the same racial background--like, unless we "feel good" that Heavenly Father is instructing us to go against the rule?

OR

We are to marry people of GENERALLY the same racial background--like, if someone is 1/8 white and 1/2 black and 3/8 Asian it's okay for them to marry someone who's 1/16 white and 7/16 black and 1/2 Asian? (Are those two people "close enough" GENERALLY for this example?)

Oh, PLEASE do advise!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 05:21PM

I had forgotten all about it. When I originally posted it (almost four months ago!), it didn't seem to garner much interest, even though I thought the outrageous nature of the quote--still published and proudly taught by the Mormon church--warranted some discussion.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 09:46AM

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 10:12AM

Because Mormons are trained to do as they are told, and to never trust their own thoughts, feelings, logic, etc. unless that coincides exactly with whatever is being preached by someone in authority, subject to change at any time, with no explanation.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 10:58AM

I don't see that morg marriages are any better at staying married/happy than those that aren't morg so I don't see the need in being told who to marry.

Genuine love and friendship is the key in my book.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 12:25PM

We GENERALLY call sleeping with others while married, ADULTERY (See BoM), But be ready for the rules to change and it'll be the ONLY ticket to heaven! (See D&C 132).

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 02:30PM

Always had a hard time with this growing up, my mom is racially mixed (which makes the fact that she is so tbm even more confusing to me). But she is half native american so she believes that she is a lamanite and this made it kind of "cool" in the morg. One of my brothers married a Japanese girl, and another brother married a korean girl. I've had mormons become quite speechless when they've seen my family picture, but that when I still allowed them to visit me in my home. No more.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 03:12PM

I knew a black/white couple, he black and she white. He was featured in Ensign, I heard but never saw the article myself (I should find it for fun). They both went on missions, and are married with children. No one thought anything of it and they were a lovely couple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 03:12PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 03:17PM

By apologists and revisionist historians...

The Ballard Bullshippers are sailing the cyberwaves...

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 03:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 03:36PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 03:50PM

We should not take seriously anything that is printed today by the church (Packer being the obvious case in point).

Years from now when our replacements point out the discrepencies between todays words and their lesson material, the things we heard with our own ears will be called a transcriptionist error, and our recollections will be false. No matter how powerfully those words may have moved the membership.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 05:57PM

... What future does a brown child have? What is to become of him? A lawyer? Or a university professor? Or a state senator? Or a US Senator? Or US President? A best-selling author? Or a Nobel Prize winner? God forbid, maybe even all of the above! Such a shame. And hell, I'm not a racist, I grew up around black people: we had a West Indian housemaid and a butler from Barbados.

Yes, I'm just kidding. Of course Obama is a role model.

But my parents were Austrian and Argentine, my grandparents had Jewish and Nazi parents, and their Jewish, catholic and Lutheran grandparents lived from the Baltic Sea to the Bay of Biscayne. My great-grandparents where all white, but they had nothing else in common. Nix, nada, niente!

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:05PM

At the time Kimball said this, I think the GAs were getting nervous at the number of returned missionaries who were marrying women they met on their missions in South American and Asian countries.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:10PM

So I imagine "gitya gitya yaya, Dada. gitya gitya yaya here. Votre chocolate mama"... didn't go over with the brethren.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.