Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: delightsome ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:02PM

My son invited me to the Utah Symphony Orchestra Saturday night in SLC. Two TSM related notes:

First, we parked in a parking terrace across the street from Abrovanel Hall. Its a hotel, I don't recall the name. Nice place. As we entered the elevator my son (29 year old nevermo raised in Utah) told me that the previous month he had ridden that same elevator with TSM and one bodyguard. Just the three of them. They said hello to each other, thats all.

My moment of pride came when he said he didn't recognize him, and that he only figured out who he was when a bunch of groupies surrounded TSM in the lobby after exiting the elevator.

I told him Tommy was probably visiting a widow, but to his credit he had no idea what I meant.

Second item: At the performance the maestro at one point thanked the sponsors, which included TSCC (Surprising) and point toward TSM and Mrs. TSM up in the balconey. Polite applause broke out but it was no more than that given to the other sponsors, and I kinda liked that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:06PM

interesting.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:10PM

Date: February 21, 2011 05:02PM

I doubt it. Non-profits can only have about 15 paid employees.
Concerts and concert series usually have corporate sponsors. I guess that makes sense, since TSCC is just a big corporation.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 05:21PM

The largest donations are usually from foundations, corporations, smaller businesses, wealthy individuals, and some public funding. Donors are printed in the back of the program.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:19PM

Your son has never heard of the Mormon Cult? I don't believe it. I know it is a fact that EVERYBODY is worried about how weird Mormonism is, and they think about how cultish they are ALL OF THE TIME!

Also, I'm being sarcastic.

"I told him Tommy was probably visiting a widow, but to his credit he had no idea what I meant."

This made me LMAO :)

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 05:00PM

The Mormon church is listed as a donor when the Catholic Cathedral of the Madeleine lists its donors. I think the church actually has a foundation for those donations if I remember. They donate to the Cathedral's Choir School for children, their concerts, and other events like that throughout Utah. I've seen its name listed with other donors at University of Utah lectures and events.

I don't know for a fact the money comes from tithing, but I assume it doesn't. I imagine the church's money-making business ventures need tax write-offs as do all businesses. I think its good for any community to have the large entities donate to the arts and community events so I am pleased to see its name among the other donors. (I would not feel that way, of course, if the money were being taken from tithing, but I don't think it is.)

Date: February 21, 2011 05:05PM

a money-making corporation.
Time for LDS to stop calling itself a church. What a joke.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 05:24PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.