Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 03:09PM

Anyone ever lived in Vincennes? What was the Mormon presence like? What was the city like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 04:47PM

Posted by: KCNative ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 07:37PM

I wonder how things will be once the temple is built in Carmel.

Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 12:35AM

My son played in a national baseball tournament in Vincennes a few years ago. I wondered why they would hold the tournament in Vincennes, but figured it out once we got there. The field was only average, but they turned out a bunch of really nice people to volunteer and make the tournament great for the kids. Everywhere we went there were nice folks. I have no idea if any of them were Mo, but I doubt it - I have pretty good Modar. Of course the 90+ temperatures and 90+ humidity may have thrown me off my game.

A cool old downtown on the river, some interesting history, and even has a college. But the town seemed to be struggling economically.

My favorite thing about Vincennes: the high school is the home of the "Alices". Yup, the team name is the Alices. You have to have a bad-ass football or baseball team to go out on the field as the Alices.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 03:53AM

My wife referred to Carmel, Indiana with those words.

Lots of white people with big houses and lots of money. The Mormon "royalty" should fit in very well there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2257712064

http://www2.indystar.com/articles/6/052406-9946-138.html

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Indianapolis,_Indiana
# Carmel- AKA the Golden Ghetto, lots of rich people...therefore there are no blacks.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 08:59AM

Its a good 2 hour drive between the two. Carmel is the snobby well to do suburb (thus the future Indpls temple) north of Indianapolis. Vincennes is a rather remote southwestern Indiana town north of Evansville.

There is an LDS ward or branch there but this is the midwest - most people in Vincennes probably don't even know its there.

Toyota has a large manufacturing facility in nearby Princeton.

If you like small midwesterny towns, Vincennes fits the bill.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.