Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: March 14, 2014 06:02PM

Although I haven not attended the LDS Church in nearly 20 years, I had never actually resigned. The reasoning was two-fold. First, I was not being hounded to return and was pretty much left alone all these years except for 2 brief visits by different bishops, and those were very short. Second, my wife was not sure she wanted to resign for a variety of reasons. Although she had been inactive for years, she has close friends that are members and didn't want the drama.

I mentioned resigning a couple of years ago and she said to go ahead if I wanted to but she didn't feel she needed to resign.

So, as a result of several of the "Essays" and the church's stand on gay marriage, she asked me a couple of weeks ago if we could resign together. She even went out to the web and found a draft letter. We used it as a template, added our own twist, and mailed it certified on Tuesday.

The church is now 2 more members down by their count. I have often wondered how it would feel to actually do this. I suppose there is a bit of relief that it is now behind us, and some finality to the fact that we ended that chapter of our lives officially. But overall, we are the same as we were on Monday - two people going through life together, sharing experiences, watching grandkids grow, traveling as much as possible, sharing our house with 2 golden retrievers (well, they share it with us), planning new adventures, and constantly griping about living in Utah.

But it does finally feel good that the church will no longer be able to count us in that 14 million member number. We just dropped it to 13,999,998.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 14, 2014 06:22PM

A good day to celebrate!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 14, 2014 06:23PM

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: March 14, 2014 06:31PM

Congratulations! We recently sent in our resignation letter.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 14, 2014 06:39PM

Good going. Same basic story here (inactive long time, resigned recently).
Feels good - celebrate by taking a fresh breath, and then another, and then many many more. Join the club- happy days

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 12:36AM

I'm happy for you!

It sounds like you have a wonderful life - and a great wife.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 01:24AM

Congratulations!

Posted by: InTheKnow ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 04:50AM

Congratulations on your decision!

Unfortunately, the membership count did not drop. They still include resigned / excommunicated members in their bloated reporting. You and your wife will only drop off their tally when you surpass 110 years old.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.