Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: geneticerror ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 12:38PM

I know a few active mormons and most of them seem absolutely miserable (even if their outward appearance suggests otherwise). So, my question is ... are there genuinely happy people within the morg? I suppose it's possible to have a happy existence within such a miserable organization but it seems unlikely and very rare.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Merovea ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 01:06PM

Excellent question! Some years ago, as I was trying to get some help from my bishop in resolving some serious problems within our marriage, this very well educated man asked me what percentage of people I thought were happy in OUR ward. Being a quick thinker, I replied "about 6%"! His jaw just about dropped to his navel. But, being a clever man and respecting my own mind, he took a few seconds to think and dismayed, answered "My goodness, you are right!"

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 01:10PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 01:11PM

I think she'd be happy anywhere though. And even her happiness is tinged by a real need to appear perfect to others. So her happiness seems a bit...nervous sometimes. But I'd say she's genuinely happy and she'd credit it to Mormonism.

I personally agree with you though. As I look around objectively, I seen that a large majority of Mormons I know are miserable, overworked, bitchy people who seem to have terribly unfulfilling marriages. Our good friends - the husband was put in the bishopric and his formerly laid-back wife is now a stressed out basket case who claimed to me the other day that it really wasn't that much of a sacrifice to have her husband in the bishopric. Trying to keep up that image of perfection with the inactive, I suppose. Even my TMB DH said, incredulously "WHATEVER!" And the husband can only be described as strained and unhappy. Trying to reconcile the Mormonism he knows with the insider view he is now getting, I expect. Plus, he's an engineer so his logic-meter must be going nuts right now. I'm worried about them but hopefully, I'm watching the birth of a couple of future exmos. They look just like me before I figured things out and got happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 01:13PM by CA girl.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 01:21PM

The current bishop and his family are that way--and I've known them a LONG time. When I moved in the ward, I didn't think they were very active because they were hit and miss. I knew I could resign with him as bishop because he is so laid back. They CHOOSE how they live it. Anyone who takes it too seriously is really unhappy.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 01:29PM

that I know (family and friends) and have known are happy, productive, creative people, most of which I enjoy being around. They are generally, an older group, however, usually 50 to 70+.

Nobody likes everyone the same, or being around everyone all the time. Some personalities, in any group are going to be difficult for some of us to deal with.

We all seem to have the same kinds of basic problems in this day and age, and in the current economy. I never saw much difference in any group of people I dealt with: in classes, at work, at church, the neighborhood, out shopping etc. People were and are about as happy as they make up their mind to be. Everyone has a "bad" day from time to time.

It's my observation that people in this day and age are general more angry, explosive,rude, ranting and raving about something -- no matter the group, especially on the Internet. It's the Age of Rage, as someone put it recently.

Practicing politeness and human decency and treating others how they want to be treated, unfortunately,seems to be a lost art with many.

Are Mormons more happy or unhappy than anyone else ? No. Not in my opinion.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 02:14PM

Sure there are.

The ones I know are all financially and emotionally independent of the morg, although they keep a certain allegiance to Mormon culture and histoy.

These people generally pick and chose what they will do in the church, and they have no qualms telling local leaders (nicely if possible) to go fly a kite.

You will rarely find them cleaning the chapel because they are inaccessible, which is due to their busy/important lives outside of Mormonism.LOL.

Not surprisingly, they also are frequently out of town on business or vacations LOL.

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 02:19PM

I think it is possible. I know from first-hand experience as a mormon, I was happy for many years.

I think of this website, since we've all left the church, of course we're going to say we all hated it, or else we wouldn't have left!! Perhaps asking some mormons themselves? I think depression rates are quite high in Utah, and there is a high mormon population, so it is possible that the two are related, and that there is a higher depression rate amongst mormons.

However, there are millions of mormons. I don't think it's possible that EVERY SINGLE ONE is miserable. I reckon most of the higher-up mormons (Mission Presidents and above) are pretty happy, since they get practically worshipped by the members, and they don't have to work anymore, and live off tithing money.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 02:45PM

There is ONE young women, who seems to be genuinely happy, and her family seems very loving, but with the emphasis on the LDS decor in the household, I'm sure the family will fall apart if someone leaves the church.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 03:05PM

I'd say mormons are more unhappy misry loves company. What do mormons want others to do all the time? Join them.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 04:45PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.