Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 03:00PM

I was at a friends and the movie Transformers was on, which is a kid movie, and I was wondering if Mormons were told to avoid the movie as there was humorous dialog about masturbation (and that it was OK). The kid was trying to hide the transformers and the girl who was helping him in his bedroom and his parents ask what he was doing in the room. The mother is trying to be helpful and suggests that if he is masturbating that he use some code phrase to tell them to leave him alone. I thought it was good PR to present masturbation as something normal but this would be too radical to the Mormon sex-is-evil mindset. Just wondering if the morg warned parents about this movie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 08:08PM

warns its members about specific movie "THREATS" (LOL!). But I'm sure that Boyd KKK Packer was none too amused by references to masturbation in the movie using code terms like "happy time." ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 11:10PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 11:14PM

Actually I think Hinckster told TBMs not to see the movie Chicago, but other than that you are right...they know they couldn't handle the uproar that would result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 11:15PM by Freevolved.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 03:27AM

I have not seen it, nor do I anticipate doing so. But I am told that it is laden with sex, that the use of profanity runs throughout."

[*Certainly no one will accuse Hinckley, in this case anyway, of resorting to the use of overly trendy terms like "film" or "movie!"]

http://lds.org/general-conference/2003/04/loyalty?lang=eng

It looks like this quote is what you are referring to. Other on-line blog comments indicate the movie indicated here is, indeed, "Chicago." Reading the quote in context, you'll note he couldn't bring himself to actually mention it's title or even directly condemn or prohibit the viewing of it ... but, you're certainly correct: the implication of "boycott" is obvious (which is interesting because I thought the Mormon church was against boycotts, as they tend only to raise the awareness and popularity of the target). Oh, and I'd like to know who Hinckley's "naughty" intelligence-gathering agents are--all too willing to "return and report" the unsavory contents of the film to the "undefilable" prophet of God!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 03:38AM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 09:43AM

"Chicago" (and WHY doesn't Hollywood make great musicals like this more often?) - I thought the Mormons were offended by the song that described the murder victim as, "He told me he was single. Single, my ass - he had SIX wives; one of those Mormons, ya know.". So she poisoned him. Works for me.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 11:11PM

Well it's not a movie, but they did send a letter out to be read in SM not to watch Big Love just before the 1st episode aired.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 09:49AM

If I could run around seeing Megan Fox all day long for a year, I'd be talking about masturbating too.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.