Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 08:30PM

Does LDS scripture teach that we who leave the tares that are will be "burned" in the last days?

What do you think?

This is the parable in the Bible and Doctrine and Covenants.

REFERENCE: Matt: 13:24-30

24 ¶ Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Doctrine and Covenants 86: 1-7

1–7, The Lord gives the meaning of the parable of the wheat and tares; 8–11, Priesthood blessings to those who are lawful heirs according to the flesh.
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servants, concerning the parable of the wheat and of the tares:
2 Behold, verily I say, the field was the world, and the apostles were the sowers of the seed;
3 And after they have fallen asleep the great persecutor of the church, the apostate, the whore, even Babylon, that maketh all nations to drink of her cup, in whose hearts the enemy, even Satan, sitteth to reign—behold he soweth the tares; wherefore, the tares choke the wheat and drive the church into the wilderness.
4 But behold, in the last days, even now while the Lord is beginning to bring forth the word, and the blade is springing up and is yet tender—
5 Behold, verily I say unto you, the angels are crying unto the Lord day and night, who are ready and waiting to be sent forth to reap down the fields;
6 But the Lord saith unto them, pluck not up the tares while the blade is yet tender (for verily your faith is weak), lest you destroy the wheat also.
7 Therefore, let the wheat and the tares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be burned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 08:33PM

Here is my father-in-laws status right now... you be the judge...

"Often when truth is spoken it is hard to bear by those in conflict with the espoused truth. This does not make the truth any less true, even if the entire world opposed the spoken truth. I recommend that the brethren stick to the unvarnished truth, and let the chips fall where they may. this is a season of the separation of the chaff from the wheat. As it was through all the dispensations of man, a modern prophet is rarely popular in this world, and can expect worldly protesters."

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 09:47PM

One person replied with:

"So God needs some flour?"

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:26PM

Oooo, horrible things will happen to people who leave or never joined with us in the first place! Them bad, us good. Them wrong, us right.

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:34PM

And we're always in the Latter Days. That's to keep the sheep coming to the shearing shed because they are woefully ignorant of how often this occurs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.