Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 06:33PM

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/19759/Mormonism-relies-on-historical-events

Snippet:

"...I agree with an acquaintance of mine, a philosophical theologian, who wrote to me last year that, "On crucial theological issues and scriptural interpretation, Mormonism is simply a better, more rational doctrine than that of the neo-absolutes of historic Christianity." Many "scriptural injunctions and religious practices are much better accounted for in Mormonism's open theism and passable (or emotionally vulnerable) God," and Mormon "theology is a much better unity of faith and reason than the alternatives."

"Like early Christianity, though, Mormonism rests on historical claims about people and events, not on theological speculations. It rises or falls on whether certain things happened. Deductions from those events are secondary. The reality of the events is primary..."

------------------------------------------------

Oh yea, it's more "rational". Disappearing plates, invented geography, polygamy, baker's hats, magic aprons, and ever-changing doctrines...oh yea Danny, it's wayyyy more rational.

And a "better unity of faith and reason"...pllllease. Where does Kolob reside?...faith or reason?..I always forget.

And "Mormonism rests on historical claims about people and events...It rises or falls on whether certain things happened."....then I'd say it falls (as in flat on its face). Unless, of course, one is willing to ignore genetics, archaeology, anthropology, botany, zoology, oceanography, and numerous other diciplines.

"The reality of the events is primary...". Amen. And when the preponderance of the evidence points towards claimed events NOT happening, then the logical man, the reasonable man, the educated man can only conclude that the founding events of Mormonism are fake....a ruse designed by its founders for profit, that morphed into a feeding tube for power.

And what of the historical events that we CAN prove. For instance the Mountain Meadows Massacre where women and children were butchered (and the cover-up afterwards), the theocratic dictatorship of early Utah and the road to statehood, the outlaw prophets who continued to defend and practice illegal polygamy, the 'divinely inspired' leaders who promoted racial bigotry, and the apostles today who continue to practice polygamy....what of these historical events?

Indeed, I am in agreement with Danny boy, the LDS Church will absolutely rise or fall based on historical events. I'd fasten my seatbelt if I were you Danny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 06:35PM by jw the inquizzinator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 07:33PM

You know the spin there, JW...

Blood atonement was pretty much strictly a rhetorical device, and even if it wasn't, it was never practiced against non-Mormons...

The Fanchers and the Bakers were foul-mouthed white trash who boasted of being involved in JS's murder--they were lying when they said they were from Arkansas; they were from Missouri--and they carried an ample supply of a super poison that killed ten Indians whose tribal friends then followed them to the killing fields and forced the innocent Mormons into their scheme, threatening them with annihlation if they didn't help out...

And Bill Hickman was a total liar who was encouraged by J.H. Beadle to implicate Brigham Young in a bunch of murders that were obviously the work of Gentiles...

And attorney Bishop embellished John D. Lee's confessions so he could make some money...

Okay, just practicing my "Reformed Nibleyese." I think I could make some money with this stuff, maybe put it on pro-Mormon sites and get a 1/10 of a cent a mouse click...

Of course I'd have to pay tithing as well...

Problem is, sooner or later I'd have to get drunk to try to live with myself...

Posted by: biggy...still not logged ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 07:41PM

my favorite "item of intrigue" from the BoM has been the craft carrying all the Jewish ancesters over.... like a submarine or sumpin! :)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 07:44PM

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 07:48PM

[Repost from my comments at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,116571,116864#msg-116864]

Unfortunately for the religion he bases his life and career upon, just about EVERY SINGLE ONE of the "historical claims about people and events" Mormonism "rests on," has been debunked by competent historians, archaeologists, scholars and scientists--types that DCP wouldn't recognize even in a high-noon, face-to-face collision. But as long as "Denial" cozily secretes himself away at the "Institute" (located at the south end of "the Zoo"[BYU]) he'll never have to worry about coming into contact with anyone from the actual academic world!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.