Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heehee ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 09:18PM

A situation has developed in my TBM DH's family that has certain members very worried about the eternal salvation of one of their deceased siblings. This Uncle (herein known as Fred) of my DH had a wild-ish life but settled down and married a divorcee (herein known as Wilma) when he was in his late 50’s.
Wilma had been previously sealed to her first hubby and they had 6 or so kids who were mostly adults by the time Fred came along. (DH ended up dating Pebbles, one of Wilma’s daughters).

After being inactive in the church for awhile Fred and Wilma start back up so they can be worthy members in a high pressure TBM community, eventually Fred wants to be endowed but has a hard time giving up smoking, so it takes awhile. Meanwhile he has many health problems and his 16 (no kidding) TBM siblings are getting antsy for him to progress to the temple because it would make Ma and Pa so darn happy on the other side.

Wilma and Fred are very happy together and have a good life, finally after about 9-10 years of marriage Fred makes it to the temple and is endowed and everyone is so glad that he got his act together. Unfortunately Fred dies soon after this. Wilma moves away but keeps in contact with Fred’s family and tells them that she wishes she was sealed to Fred instead of her first husband. Apparently she also tell Pebbles the same thing.

So .... somewhere along the line TSCC changes policy about women being able to be sealed to 2 men if all the parties are deceased (or at least one man and the woman???) and this gives great hope to Wilma and the sibs because Fred needs an eternal companion, ya know to get into the CK.

Now another 10 years has passed and DH goes to visit Wilma who is in poor health and lives with Pebbles, during the visit Wilma makes DH and Pebbles promise to stand as proxy in the sealing of her and Fred, which they rather enthusiastically do. (They are still somewhat crushing on each other, even tho time has not been kind to Pebbles and she’s dating a widowed Bishop. Too many fond memories of horny days gone by, eeek!)

Wilma passes on and the TBM busybodies start planning on getting the sealing taken care of in a years time, DH gets all worthy on me and gets busy getting his temple recommend renewed so he can kneel over the alter with Pebbles in the name of Uncle Fred (EEEK!!) On the anniversary of Wilma’s passing, Fred’s Ultra TBM sister calls me (she didn’t know about my lack of faithfulness) and wants to know what DH is doing about getting THIS done. I am a little out of the loop being an apostate and all so DH won’t discuss sacred things with me anymore, so I just tell Dh to call his aunt about Wilma.

Now a year and a half has passed this last week, and things are in a tizzy because either some of Wilma’s children don’t want to diss their dad by doing Fred and Wilma’s sealing or there are policy issues because 1st hubby is still alive. All I know is from one side of a phone conversation between DH and his mom, where DH said “Well if I don’t get to do it her grandchildren will see to it.”

I am curious as all get out about how this all works out even though I know it’s all a bunch of baloney. I read on a Wiki that women and men can be sealed to more than one spouse and can then choose after death who they want to be with. A man can be sealed to more than one wife and it can stay that way if everyone agrees to it. A woman though, can be sealed to more than one man but must choose only one to be with in the afterlife... oh yeah, nobody will be forced to be with someone they don’t want to be with.

Right now I ‘m just happy I don’t have to see DH trottin’ off to the temple to kneel over the alter with Pebbles. Honestly, sometimes it’s like living in a looney bin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 09:56PM

That was highly amusing. I agree...it's a little crazy, and good for you for keeping your sense of humor!

I was under the impression, though, that while men could be sealed to multiple women, a woman can only be sealed to one man. That's why when a couple gets divorced, the wife remains sealed to her first husband unless she get married again, and proves that he was a louse.

Posted by: surfinitup ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 10:34PM

A deceased woman may be sealed to all men to whom she was legally married during her life. However, if she was sealed to a husband during her life, all her husbands must be deceased before she may be sealed to a husband to whom she was not sealed during life. This includes former husbands from whom she was divorced.

A deceased man may have sealed to him all women to whom he was legally married during his life if they are deceased or if they are living and are not sealed to another man.

Posted by: heehee ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:20AM

I used to worry a bit about all this who will be sealed to who because I am my husband's 3rd wife and the only one he's sealed to so far, (because wife #2 became mentally and physically disabled and one of her kids who I have raised has promised my MIL to have her sealed to DH when Wife #2 dies). I don't really care anymore, I find it all kinda humorous in fact, some of the conversations I get to listen to are pretty funny now.

All the worry over being with MIL's family after this life, heck what about my parents? Any every other persons family, I mean you have to have a sense of humor about it or it makes you go to that place where you make up stuff to explain it to yourself. Oh yeah, did that already.

What's so ridiculous is that my in-laws spend so much of their time in the temple and doing church work that we hardly see them now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.